Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web-Server VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web-Server VPS?

ChristopherMChristopherM Member
edited January 2012 in Help

Hey there,

First off I posted a discussion a day ago or something but please do disregard this as I hadn't made the final calculations and other things. Anyway I will go into detail here I am looking for a VPS from a stable company whom isn't going to end up in the dead pool and preferably profitable so I know it's going to be stable.

Here's what I need:

• At least 512MB of RAM.
  • Hard disk space isn't really needed so perhaps 5GB?
  • 100MB connection or faster (Preferably 1Gbit if I could)
  • Costing no more than £6-7 GBP at the MOST so lower suggestions than that is key.
  • Capable of running a Lighttpd web stack with PHP5 and MySQL.

Post your suggestions here if you could and here is some providers I'm already aware of;

BurstNET

Comments

• Any particular location? You noted price in GBP, so I'm assuming UK if possible?

• I actually would prefer it to be based in the USA but would settle for UK and sorry about me noting it in GBP its habit with it being native currency :)

• Well, for West Coast US you have us (BuyVM) and Hostigation. We're currently out of stock, but @miTgiB runs an awesome service and has stuff in your price range. For east coast, there's Hostigation and SecureDragon (another fine provider). The only host I'm currently using in the UK is dmbHosting, and I'd give a recommendation for them as well.

• jhjh Member

Christopher,

Could you please get back to me by email further to our discussion last night?

• @ChristopherM said: £6-7 GBP

Why would you discuss it on LET, site about boxes < 7$?
    LEA should really register MET.

• @ChristopherM said: Costing no more than £6-7 GBP at the MOST

@breton - at least read for context before just jumping up to bash someone.

• @Aldryic said: @breton - at least read for context before just jumping up to bash someone.

So, at the MOST 10$ is ok? And at most 25$? At most 100$? "We'd like to present our new offer, which is at most 25$/mo"?
    A limit has been set up, so lets not make WHT-lite from LET. Or this post should be in "offtopic".

• @breton, the $7/month max is for OFFERS. Sure, he's asking for recommendations for something that's a little more than that, I don't see anything wrong with that. It certainly makes sense to ask here, since most LEB providers also offer higher-priced VPSes with higher specs.

• @NickM said: @breton, the $7/month max is for OFFERS.

So what's the difference between WHT "VPS" section and LET then, except that offers limitation?

• @ChristopherM said: Costing no more than £6-7 GBP at the MOST so lower suggestions than that is key.

@breton - Why don't you quit being so asinine and just read what people actually write? There's no shame in saying "Oh, my bad, I misread", and no need to make an ass of yourself over trying to get the last word.

@ChristopherM - good luck in your search, and our apologies for the asshattery.

• @Aldryic said: @breton - Why don't you quit being so asinine and just read what people actually write? There's no shame in saying "Oh, my bad, I misread", and no need to make an ass of yourself over trying to get the last word.

I have not misread. I am against making let a branch of wht.

• @ChristopherM said: Costing no more than £6-7 GBP at the MOST so lower suggestions than that is key.

That's £6 to £7 at most. That means available to you is to recommend anything below that price, @breton you can't follow such simple instruction then GTFO of this thread.

@ChristopherM said: looking for a VPS from a stable company whom isn't going to end up in the dead pool and preferably profitable so I know it's going to be stable.

Chris I am VERY happy with BuyVM, and VERY happy with Hostigation. BuyVM are here to stay, and Hostigation has been around long enough (coming in to its 6th year) that Tim has grey hairs appearing. The only distinguishable differences between the two really I would say is that BuyVM offers more bandwidth and HDD space, but I find Hostigation offers more cpu resources. The difference between both being negligible, so both is a good choice.

In the UK itself I have just started using OnePoundWebHosting, and Stuart who runs the show there has been around for quite a while as well, he's just a lot more reserved and not on forums. The nodes seem a lot older, however they are very stable. On the plus side, it may mean you get upgraded to a new node as time to cycle them would be getting close.

The other host i'm using at the moment is Edis.At, they have a range of locations and options around the world. However their control panel really does stink, and I would much prefer to be on a KVM or OpenVZ node than VServer due to some of the walls i'm hitting. However it has been super stable, and they also own their own DC in Austria where they're based from.

• fanfan Veteran
    edited January 2012

BuyVM's $1 mysql addon is a killer function for big websites using mysql, with that load of the actual web server can be reduced significantly - that means you can save money on that.