Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone used OVH Failover IPs with VMWare ESXi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone used OVH Failover IPs with VMWare ESXi?

I have a couple OVH Failover IPs that are attached to a dedicated server running the latest VMWare ESXi, however ESXi is pretty new to me, has anyone ever been able to assign an IP directly so the VM just has direct access to the physical internet as if it were a regular computer?

I can't seem to be able to manage to get this working myself, or find any good documentation on how to do it online either.

Comments

• From what I know, you need to ensure that you create a Virtual MAC for the IP and then assign the IP (and related Gateway etc.) to whatever interface you have/want (in your case probably a separate "virtual" interface for whatever VM).

• I have discovered one thing on my OVH server, running Hyper-V and that's that all my VMs have to have manual IP to get online.
    Just using the MAC will not setup the IP info inside the VM. This apply for both Windows and Linux. This is different from etc Hetzner, there I can just add the MAC in Hyper-V and the VM (both Windows and Linux) gets the IP info and are online without changing anything under IPv4 settings inside the VM.
    So maybe it's the same with ESXi?

• Thank you, I had to use the desktop VSphere client, and I was able to generate an OVH MAC address from that menu in the manager and enter it in the VM here

Testing it out now so hopefully this works

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited March 2017

myhken said: I have discovered one thing on my OVH server, running Hyper-V and that's that all my VMs have to have manual IP to get online. Just using the MAC will not setup the IP info inside the VM.

Yep, the VM tries to get settings over DHCP which fails and then I go back and assign it manually after assigning the MAC address from the managers IP to the VMs NIC, once I did that it started working. Not sure if there is a way around that or not

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited March 2017

This seems to be in OVH's documentation too that you have to manually assign the IP settings after generating and setting the MAC for the VM

https://www.ovh.com/us/g582.configure_an_ip_address_on_a_virtual_machine

http://help.ovh.com/BridgeClient

The gateway I had to use was the one sent to me in the email so I had to dig that up as well but once I entered in all those settings I had VMs online with their own IPs with ease, just have to remember to do the MAC settings correctly then manually assign the network settings inside the installed OS as DHCP doesn't appear to work yet or isn't set up right somewhere.