Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud Platform
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud Platform

Paying for some help setting up my cloud platform $15/hr not low balling anyone please let me know if you have the credentials to help me. Would love someone who offers free consulting but all work will be paid for.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Comments

• KeKe said: $15/hr not low balling

hahahaha lol.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Why not search in upwork

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

"Cloud platform" could refer to so many things. Virtualization, web application development, API development, etc.

• @jarland said:
    "Cloud platform" could refer to so many things. Virtualization, web application development, API development, etc.

I currently have 4 Intel Xeon E5-2620v2 machines with 128gb ram each and 4x4tb each, I'm looking to setup some sort of private cloud solution.

@KeKe said:

@jarland said:

I currently have 4 Intel Xeon E5-2620v2 machines with 128gb ram each and 4x4tb each, I'm looking to setup some sort of private cloud solution.

So you want to install virtualization software. Something like proxmox should be sufficient.

• @jarland said:

@KeKe said:

@jarland said:

So you want to install virtualization software. Something like proxmox should be sufficient.

I was looking at proxmox but it dosent look like I can tie all the servers together using proxmox. Would probably need some help wrapping my head around the whole aspect. I've used proxmox briefly over the last year but nothing extensive. I'll have to look more into it this afternoon. I'd still pay for some help setting it up.

• What do you exactly want?

Thanked by 1ndelaespada
  • You can make a cluster with Proxmox fairly easily

Thanked by 1Maounique

@KeKe said:

@jarland said:

@KeKe said:

@jarland said:

I was looking at proxmox but it dosent look like I can tie all the servers together using proxmox. Would probably need some help wrapping my head around the whole aspect. I've used proxmox briefly over the last year but nothing extensive. I'll have to look more into it this afternoon. I'd still pay for some help setting it up.

Well a private cloud at its core is just a server or series of servers used for you to deploy virtual servers on. Anything beyond that is not necessarily implied, so you'll want to lay out the end goal as best you can and maybe someone here has solid experience with it. Maybe someone can even point you to something that lets you do it yourself to save some money.

• OpenStack ?

• You really need tie be a bit more specific.

• @jarland said:

@KeKe said:

@jarland said:

@KeKe said:

@jarland said:

Well a private cloud at its core is just a server or series of servers used for you to deploy virtual servers on. Anything beyond that is not necessarily implied, so you'll want to lay out the end goal as best you can and maybe someone here has solid experience with it. Maybe someone can even point you to something that lets you do it yourself to save some money.

The end game is to provide a high end high availability cloud storage with snapshot and automatic backup storage. I want to have rapid scalability, load balancing, failover IPs and blocks and custom firewalls. In the long run I'm all about saving money but I want to get top of the line hardware and software to make this work. Hopefully I can consult with someone on the next steps I need to take. I'm the end I want to have a platform where I can make my investment back in a couple of years.

• KeKe said: Hopefully I can consult with someone on the next steps I need to take

You will have to increase your consulting budget by 10x or more. The area where you're looking for help is specialized and in high demand. Where are you located?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @willie said:

KeKe said: Hopefully I can consult with someone on the next steps I need to take

You will have to increase your consulting budget by 10x or more. The area where you're looking for help is specialized and in high demand. Where are you located?

For consultation I basically have a budget for the rest of the hardware I need if anyone can help.

Budget:

Firewall - $1500 or less
    Load Balancer $600-700 up to 1k
    Router - $4000 or less
    Switch - $2000 or less
    Misc - $5000

I already have the 4 servers I'll be using as well as the hard drives.

If I can figure out these items I can pretty much read up on the setup.

My connection will be 3x1b burst to 10g fiber uplinks.

Cogent, Hurricane Electric and Telia I'll have 6 /24 subnets so I'll need L3 switching capabilities on the switch/router. I'm sure you guys know way more than I do on what I need but those are the budgets I have.

• It sounds like you probably want OpenStack. It's all free software but I've heard it's complicated to set up. Only a few low end providers (maybe just mnx.io and lunanode) have managed to make it work. Several of the bigger providers do it but I think they spend a lot. Is that the type of thing you had in mind? You will need a bigger budget and more gear.

Thanked by 1ashkulz
  • @willie said:
    It sounds like you probably want OpenStack. It's all free software but I've heard it's complicated to set up. Only a few low end providers (maybe just mnx.io and lunanode) have managed to make it work. Several of the bigger providers do it but I think they spend a lot. Is that the type of thing you had in mind? You will need a bigger budget and more gear.

It's possible openstack might be an option it's compatible with hostbillapp so that's also a plus.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Increase budget for a router to 20k to have something that actually works properly. You need a full table capability if you have 3 uplinks, meaning the smallest bit you'll be after is MX104 with either 2 ports unlocked and a MIC card or 4 ports unlocked and no MIC (less reliable).

Oh, and the consulting budget would also have to be increased to at least 100 USD / hr - you want it done well, and it's not like you're hiring someone permanently.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

The hourly budget you've set up for consultation would not cut it. Neither you would find a hardware load balancer (not sure why you need it) for 600-1k.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @Clouvider said:
    Increase budget for a router to 20k to have something that actually works properly. You need a full table capability if you have 3 uplinks, meaning the smallest bit you'll be after is MX104 with either 2 ports unlocked and a MIC card or 4 ports unlocked and no MIC (less reliable).

Oh, and the consulting budget would also have to be increased to at least 100 USD / hr - you want it done well, and it's not like you're hiring someone permanently.

The 20k router would eat up all my saving anything cheaper by at least 7k that you can think of? so I'd have something left over for other hardware I need, I have the servers and the hard drives. If I scratch the hardware load balancer I might be able to afford the router or something a bit less. I was thinking more on the lines of a juniper ex4500.

Ex4500 won't take a full table. If you're tight on budget look at refurbished mx80 or mx104 just bear in mind Juniper won't support it and you'd need to find a 3rd party if you need any sort of warranty (and you reallly need either that with fast response time or two routers as what will you do when you fail and the line card is on a 5 weeks lead time ?).

Thanked by 1marrco
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

ex4500 is not a router, it's a switch. It really depends on the network setup you want. Though, if you're planning on pushing 3gbps and above, you should most likely consider getting a serious hardware router.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • YuraYura Member

@willie said:
    OpenStack ?

Not for $15/hr

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Virtuozzo for the cloud. very easy to setup and reasonable pricing with some support.

If you have spare hardware, build your own Vyatta router and upgrade to a proper router when you need it. Dont waste money on hardware you dont need now.

Oh and get some SSDs for chaching to improve io.

edited March 2017

randvegeta said: If you have spare hardware, build your own Vyatta router and upgrade to a proper router when you need it. Dont waste money on hardware you dont need now.

I disagree, especially if one doesn't have experience routing on Linux, this may become extremely unstable. The OP looks for 3 pipes with 1Gbit/s CDR each on 10G fibre, that means 30G total capacity. If that leaks DDoS it won't be pleasant on software, but would not cause any issues to say MX104 or MX80.

edited March 2017

It wont handle 30GBit but should be fine for 2 - 3 gbit and in the beginning his traffic will likely be small. and if cant handle simple routing then what makes you think he will be able to handle a ddos attack or manage the cloud? Vyatta is extremely simple.

@randvegeta said:
    It wont handle 30GBit but should be fine for 2 - 3 gbit and in the beginning his traffic will likely be small. and if cant handle simple routing then what makes you think he will be able to handle a ddos attack or manage the cloud? Vyatta is extremely simple.

It's always easier to handle DDoS attack when your router does not kernel panic when it sees the huge number of interrupts caused by PPS or number of hosts addressed.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

And that, @Clouvider, is why ComOS is the answer!

Clouvider said: t's always easier to handle DDoS attack when your router does not kernel panic

No doubt. But you're talking about spending $20k on a router, and there are far more cost effective ways of dealing with DDoS. He's only starting with a small cluster. It is highly unlikely he will push anything close to 1Gbit of traffic, and Vyatta running on decent hardware should be more than capable of handling a few gig. Yes.. it will fall over at the first sign of DDoS, but unless he plans to host the dodgy people out there, DDoS will be a fairly a rare event.

Plenty of proper mitigation providers out there too, which would allow him to handle very very large attacks without having to invest either in hardware or connectivity.

Not to mention, if the attack is more than 10G, it will probably clog up 1 pipe any way since you cannot ensure even distribution of inbound traffic between suppliers. And even if thhe network and routers could hanlde it, the OP would then need to deal with the prospect of paying overage fees. So a $20k router solves nothing.

I am not saying that Vyatta is as good as a proper hardware router, but advising someone to buy a $20k router at such an early stage is kind of like asking someone to buy a bus instead of a bicylce as an ideal means of transportation because the bus can carry more passengers, regardless of weather or not there are any passengers. There is nothing stopping the OP from buying a proper router and replacing the software one later. And it can be done fairly easily with no downtime.

So my suggestion is only to buy what you realistically need.

@keke,

Anyone who knows anything about high availability clouds with distributed cloud storage will need significantly more than $15/hour. That really is a low ball number, and actually is barely minimum wage in most developed countries.

You need a minimum of $50/hour. Preferably $100+. You may find people willing to 'consult' somewhat for around your $15 offer, but they won't take it seriously, and it would still be seen as doing it as a 'favour' rather than as a real job.

With that in mind, I would suggest you look into commercial solutions as there is more help available from the developers. Open source is 'free' only if you know what you're doing. Otherwise it will cost you more in time and/or money since you will need to hire people to help you setup, and maintain it. Commercial solutions tend to have better and more coherent documentation, giving you a better chance of doing things for yourself.

Thanked by 1tszilassi