Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net C14 Intensive / 5 EUR per TB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net C14 Intensive / 5 EUR per TB

datanoisedatanoise Member
edited March 2017 in General

Dunno if you had the information:

https://blog.online.net/2017/03/02/c14-intensive-new-storage-option-for-intensive-upload-retrieval/

Back in July 2016, when we launched C14, the idea was to provide a simple pricing model based on the amount of data stored in C14 with a per GB fee on the upload & retrieval operations.

Today we are enhancing C14 with a new service level - Intensive. The Intensive service level provides a simple per-GB-pricing without any operation fee, ideal for frequent archive accesses.
For €0.005 per GB / month, you can now frequently upload and retrieve data without any additional cost!

Enjoy the Intensive service level and upload up to 40TB per archive, using secure industry standard protocols: SFTP, Rsync or SCP.

Could be interesting for backups...

Comments

• Now they are matching Backblaze B2, and with free bandwidth. Pretty interesting

• @yomero said:
    Now they are matching Backblaze B2, and with free bandwidth. Pretty interesting

Blackblaze B2:

"Bandwidth to download files is $0.05 per GB. "

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2017

mtsbatalha said: "Bandwidth to download files is $0.05 per GB. "

As I said, C14 has free bandwidth now.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Really interesting!

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I ran a test the other day from my Online.net server in DC2. Had a stable 500Mbits throughput. So much better then backblaze.

Word of warning, dont use winSCP

• ehabehab Member

@pbgben said:

did you use rsync ? was it standard or intensive !!

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@ehab said:

@pbgben said:

did you use rsync ? was it standard or intensive !!

I used CyberDuck SSH (SFTP) the files and it was before this intensive plan was available, just between my server and the "Staging area"

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member

with the intensive this very well means a very cheap solution to backup...

• Yep I think I'd prefer to pay the extra per GB but not worry about other costs.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • This basically competes with Hetzner StorageBox, same price level as the bigger storageboxes per tb, but c14 has a much higher raid level. The upload and download operation charges for regular c14 didn't seem that bad actually (similar to OVH cloud archive). It just always bugged me that they charge you to delete an archive.

They are supposedly working on a c14 option where they replicate the data across two DC's. Right now it's all in one.

I guess Online has now undercut its 750gb ftp backup option which is 5 euro/m with a server.

Thanked by 2vimalware Falzo
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Do they provide FTP/SFTP access?
    Also anyone tested data integrity when uploaded and retrieved from them?

• C14 is more like AWS Glacier, i.e. it's offline from the user perspective. You xfer your files to an online "safe deposit box" (staging area, maybe scp accessible) and then their systems xfer the stuff from the staging area to C14. When you want to get it back, you launch a xfer from C14 to the staging area and I think this can take some hours. Then once it's in the staging area you can get to it the usual way. I believe you can leave it in the staging area for up to a week.

https://www.online.net/en/c14

• @willie said:
    C14 is more like AWS Glacier, i.e. it's offline from the user perspective. You xfer your files to an online "safe deposit box" (staging area, maybe scp accessible) and then their systems xfer the stuff from the staging area to C14. When you want to get it back, you launch a xfer from C14 to the staging area and I think this can take some hours. Then once it's in the staging area you can get to it the usual way. I believe you can leave it in the staging area for up to a week.

https://www.online.net/en/c14

Makes sense as to why they'd ask money for deletion.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

The unarchive operation has an high priority, the average time to recover your data is approximately 2 hours.

AWS Glacier is the best comparison. This is long term cold storage. Good for backing up (obviously encrypted) critical business/personal documents, family photos/videos, etc - not so much for affordably offloading your linux ISOs and streaming them.

• @Radi said:
    Do they provide FTP/SFTP access?
    Also anyone tested data integrity when uploaded and retrieved from them?

Yes, they provide.

• Does anyone know a reason to use C14 over OVH's cloud archiving system? https://www.ovh.com/us/public-cloud/storage/cloud-archive/

With OVH's system you can upload and download without having to do it in operations.

• For anyone who is doing more than 3 times operations (i.e., traffic out) of storage and is OK with EU, this is the cheapest decent object storage you can get due to no fee of traffic(yes OVH is cheap but traffic still counts).

• 1) This isn't object storage, it's archive storage. Re pricing:

2) I think OVH cloud archive was a response to the original C14 product. OVH cloud archive seems to be a vanilla, single location raid6(?) object store. It doesn't have the fancy redundancy that C14 has. OTOH it's cheaper because they charge for in and out bandwidth but not for other operations including deletion. So if your workflow is upload, retain (12 months or whatever) and delete, you pay less.

3) I suspect C14 intensive is a response to OVH cloud archive: $/GB goes up but they get rid of the operations charges.

4) It's still more expensive than Hetzner Storagebox or various LET storage plans but they have all this stuff about it being in a nuclear blast shelter etc., plus it's priced per GB instead of for the size of a whole possibly oversized plan.

5) OTOH it will be nicer once they have geo redundancy. Upload something once and it's in two DC's right away.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

I didn't even know about OVH's offer, is it any good?

@willie said:
    2) I think OVH cloud archive was a response to the original C14 product. OVH cloud archive seems to be a vanilla, single location raid6(?) object store. It doesn't have the fancy redundancy that C14 has. OTOH it's cheaper because they charge for in and out bandwidth but not for other operations including deletion. So if your workflow is upload, retain (12 months or whatever) and delete, you pay less.

Where do they say they use RAID at to begin with? They just say openstck, also their diagram seems to be implying some sort of cold storage or something too

Seems that it is more like online's offer.

• Setsura said:

Where do they say they use RAID at to begin with? They just say openstck,

Might be Ceph. I just don't think they can afford much redundancy when they're charging 0.002/GB, but they can't have zero redundancy since they will definitely experience drive failures and can't have that kill people's data. Their primary object store product (0.01/GB) is multiply replicated according to their description.

• Should be something halfway decent if they are going to put "100% file durability" on it. Definitely not just plain RAID, or at least I hope so.

• Hetzner Storage box is only cheaper than C14 Intensive when storage is between 9495GB and 10TB, with traffic <= 20TB. Or require snapshots.

AWS Glacier and Backblaze is cheaper than C14 Intensive when there is absolutely 0 retrieve operation.

Not good enough to be a killer deal worldwide, but definitely could put Hetzner out of business in a good way. And for anything in europe that require frequent retrieve, this is the to-go-with option without any doubt.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2017

Setsura said: if they are going to put "100% durability" on it.

Come on! They also put that on condoms and still they burst sometimes... ;-)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Setsura said:
    Should be something halfway decent if they are going to put "100% file durability" on it. Definitely not just plain RAID, or at least I hope so.

from their site (talking about OVH):

Each file is stored several times inside a redundant infrastructure. What's more, an automated system is constantly ensuring the integrity of your data. Each file is divided into several fragments and each fragment is written within a different storage unit. If a missing fragment is detected, it's automatically rebuilt through a specific algorithm that uses the other fragments.

• LunarLunar Member

Pretty good because it's usage based for small bits of data, but if you're planning on storing a lot of stuff I think the best option is still Amazon Cloud Drive. I'm currently using it for encrypted backups and I transfer using rclone.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

cnbeining said:

Hetzner Storage box is only cheaper than C14 Intensive when storage is between 9495GB and 10TB, with traffic <= 20TB. Or require snapshots.

Hetzner and C14 Intensive are about the same per GB under Hetzner's 2TB plan. The smaller Hetzner plans are way more. I don't think there is any traffic between the C14 archive and the internet, but only through the staging area. And I doubt you can use the staging area as an infinite-bandwidth public website ;).

Falzo said: Each file is divided into several fragments and each fragment is written within a different storage unit.

Not sure but I think this sounds like Ceph.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@willie said:

>

Not sure but I think this sounds like Ceph.

Agreed. Had a short play with ovh cloud archive...

creating a container via their manager, easy. Creating an openstack user, easy. Figuring credentials for accessing via scp/rsync, not so easy. figuring access doesn't
    work from non-ovh as intended, hard. Figuring access the initial container via scp don't work at all, even harder.

Only after creating a container via sftp I could access it that way. but you can only upload directly as it seems the files are instantly transitioned into their storage and to download you need to 'unfreeze' them before they become available to download again for 24h... 300MB testfile was upped in seconds but wanted me to wait for 4 hours to 'unfreeze'. fucking nonsense. At least deleting was instant.

summary: may only be usable for larger single files to store away and hopefully never need again. Needs you to have a vpn at ovh or use other methods of access the API to upload. aLso wait hours before even be enable to download in case you ever need a file again.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Falzo said: wait for 4 hours to 'unfreeze'. fucking nonsense.

Sounds like Amazon Glacier and for that matter C14. It's a "cold" archive rather than a general purpose storage medium. You'd think the bw fees would make them decide they didn't need the delay.