Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I forgot the name of a provider...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I forgot the name of a provider...

FreekFreek Member
edited January 2012 in Providers

I forgot the name of a provider in which VPSes I was interested in. I thought I had bookmarked it, but I apparantly I didn't.
Here's what I know:
It was a provider from Germany with unmetered VPSes starting at 1.49 or 1.99 a month. The name contained a dash and had something in it with 'com' I believe. Website design was reddish.

I hope you guys can help me out here hehe ;)

Comments

• uptimevps? (in deadpool)

Thanked by 1tux
  • LOL troll.

Maybe this one http://comsitec.de/

I like it too, but they don't allow gameservers, and other stuff xD

• LESLES Member

comsitec is 1,89 Euro

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

@Freek 1.49 or 199 in euro or usd ?

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2012

Comsitec, that's the one!!
    Prices in euros indeed :)

@yomero Yeah indeed, they do not allow Gameservers, IRC, Streaming etc. However, they do say they allow "Own software like Teamspeak". Also, OpenVPN seems to be allowed as well.

Thanks guys :D

• Memory (shared) 512 MB

what?

• @justinb said: Memory (shared) 512 MB

what?

Yeah, I dont get that either? Shared with all other customers?

• That's a good one... I'll send them an email.

Thanked by 2djvdorp Ken
  • @Freek said: That's a good one... I'll send them an email.

Looking forward to the reply! Looks really cheap!

• Email sent. I'll keep you posted!
    I also asked what virtualization they use and if OpenVPN is allowed.

• @Freek said: I also asked what virtualization they use and if OpenVPN is allowed.

I think they use linux vServer and OpenVPN is not possible because of TUN/TAP is not securely available on vServer.

• Here's their answer:

the virtualization is openVZ
    Yes, you can use openvpn, the memory is shared, garantee 128 MB

128MB... how should we figure that out by the looks of the website!?

• @Freek said: 128MB... how should we figure that out by the looks of the website!?

Lol that is really stupid

• I love them!

Service
    24 / 7 service reset    webinterface    webinterface    webinterface
    24 / 7 installation     webinterface    webinterface    webinterface
    Ticket System   including   including   including
    Traffic Control Online  webinterface    webinterface    webinterface
    Online Billing  including   including   including
    Customer System Online  including   including   including

The give you free ticket system, online billing and customer system online(?)
    Just imagine, you don't have to drive to Dusseldorf every time you want to pay anymore, that's genius!

Also, can someone translate this:

Domaininterface    Plesk 10 - Demo klick (without license)     Plesk 10 - Demo klick (without license)     Plesk 10 - Demo klick (without license)

They are giving you free Plesk, or they're giving nulled version which doesn't need a license, or they're giving you demo without license and you need to pay to actually get it?

• @vedran: they're giving you demo without license and you need to pay to actually get it.

"Just imagine, you don't have to drive to Dusseldorf every time you want to pay anymore, that's genius!" Sarcasm :P ?

• Thanked by 1ztec
  • @birdie25 If I got a dollar for every time someone brought that up, I would have lots of LEBs ;)

• And another popcorn time thread? :P

Well, I am afraid of their bad english, or maybe of bad tech skills :S

• I don't want to offend any Germans out there, but the average German tends to have bad English language skills, because virtually everything is also available or translated into to German, so I'm not surprised.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@Freek said: I don't want to offend any Germans out there, but the average German tends to have bad English language skills, because virtually everything is also available or translated into to German, so I'm not surprised.

It's hard to generalize a whole nation.

• @Infinity Yes I know, but still almost everything is translated into German. Every book, piece of software, TV show you name it, so they don't have to use English that often and as we all knows: Practice makes perfect :)

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2012

This one looks even better:

http://www.adeska.de/vserver/vserver-budget/adeskavserver-xxxs-budget.html
    1.69 euros a month (billed anually at 20.88 euros).
    OpenVZ, 200MB RAM guaranteed, 10GB disk, Unmetered @ 100Mbit shared.
    DC in Frankfurt (Germany). CPU = Intel® Core™ i7-920 Quad-Core.

'Everything' seems to be allowed (as long it's legal I guess): http://www.adeska.de/kundenportal/knowledgebase/46/gibt-es-irgendwelche-Einschrankungen-bezuglich-der-erlaubten-Software-auf-den-adeskaororvServern.html . When using IRC, just make sure to use a different port than the default one (6667).

OpenVPN is also allowed, but you'll have to open a ticket for them to install TUN/TAP. (http://www.adeska.de/kundenportal/knowledgebase/54/Ist-iptables-und-TUNorTAP-auf-den-adeskaororvServern-verfugbar.html).

Adeska has been in business for 10 years now and there's a 72 hour free trial.

• @vedran said: They are giving you free Plesk, or they're giving nulled version which doesn't need a license, or they're giving you demo without license and you need to pay to actually get it?

Free 10 domain Plesk.

"Demo klick" = "click here for demo" which links to http://www.parallels.com/de/products/plesk86/demo/

• Cool, if you get one tell us :P

Sometimes I want to move the mine at FanaticalVPS

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2012

@justinb Does there even exist an 10 domain free version of Plesk? Afaik only a 1 domain free version exists.

@yomero Aaallright then, I just signed up for one :) Before I signed up, I opened a ticket, just to see how fast their support is. I got a reply within minutes. Not bad for a tuesday evening at 22:00 (or 10PM for those who are not familiar with 24 hour clocks).
    Protip: If you want TUN/TAP enabled, enter it in the order notes while ordering.

Activation is not instant, but manual. However, they activated mine within 5 minutes. Still waiting for TUN/TAN to be activated/installed tho.

Bandwidth doesn't seem to be 'unmetered' though. It's capped at 4.88 TB in SolusVM. Will open a ticket to ask what's that about.

The available distros you can install are quite limited, outdated and mostly 64-bit variants:

But for the price, you can't really complain, can you? I mean, this company has been established for 10 years, has a good reputation (based on all their frontpage awards) so won't vanish overnight. Perfect for a backupVPS, OpenVPN,Gameserver, IRC or Voiceserver of some sort.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

@Freek said: Not bad for a tuesday evening at 22:00 (or 10PM for those who are not familiar with 24 hour clocks).

LOL at this.

@Freek said: Protip

Brotip: use magnets to...

@Freek said: The available distros you can install are quite limited, outdated and mostly 64-bit variants:

That is BAD :( 64-bit useless. Probably you can ask for a 32 bit Debian one? :D

And what about the specs/performance?

• @yomero said: LOL at this.

Why? Just curiosity :)

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2012

@yomero Well, there's still a 32 bit CentOS 5 version...

However, according to their own website, normal (32 bit) versions of Debian 3.1, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 6.0 minimal should also be available, but they're all 64-bit except for 3.1.

Performance is rather depressing:

root@delta:~# wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-01-03 21:36:54--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.test'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 3.88M/s   in 30s

2012-01-03 21:37:24 (3.35 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]

Curious to see what their answer is about the bandwidth, OS templates and 'slow' speed. Else I'll cancel it (72 trial) and I'll try comsitec instead.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

Hmmm, 3.88MB/s isn't bad :|

Why you want more?

@Spirit said: Why? Just curiosity :)

There is some people that doesn't know the 24-hour clock?