Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS any use/used them?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS any use/used them?

Never looked at OVH for VPS but I have a few domains with them. I never thought about getting a VPS with them as it's france data centre but I see you can add a UK IP address. Anyone used them before?

Comments

• Next thread: Volkswagen cars, anyone drive them?

• OV who?

Thanked by 1nulldev
  • OH!

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2017

Yes, they are pretty good. the VPS SSD-1 has great value.

The network is shit though.. So many people use them as reverse proxies/GRE tunnels, that pretty much all your neighbours are maxing out the port speed. And with OVH's overselling of the 1Gbps host ports, you'll be lucky to get 40 Mbps+ speeds with it.

They don't kick you for CPU abuse on their cheap plans so thats good.. (or bad if your neighbour is generating 16384-bit diffie-hellman keys and/or mining bitcoins or encoding)

Just imagine a host where everyone abuses resources + no support lol. But the price is good, and it comes with plenty of RAM.

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

@stefeman, to be fair OVH does advertise the VPS line as shared resources / best effort. You get what you pay for.

Thanked by 2Plioser mrmoor
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

stefeman said: Just imagine a host where everyone abuses resources + no support lol.

That should be the lowendbox tagline.

Thanked by 2doughmanes WSS
  • @raindog308 said:

stefeman said: Just imagine a host where everyone abuses resources + no support lol.

That should be the lowendbox tagline.

lol.

• Yes, mainly use the free IPs they provided w/ their VPS for tunneling. Fast and reliable services.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2017

stefeman said: The network is shit

No.

stefeman said: all your neighbours are maxing out the port speed

Besides, don't you even see a contradiction? "Network is shit, but you can max out the port speed".

stefeman said: 1Gbps host ports

Oh would you just shut up at this point since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, all their hosts have 10 Gbps ports at least, evident by the shaping bug last summer, when I personally got 3+ Gbit iperf speeds on multiple VPSes. For months.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2017

@rm_ said:
    No.

Yes

@rm_ said:
    Besides, don't you even see a contradiction? "Network is shit, but you can max out the port speed".

It's shit because everyone maxes their bandwidth.. how is that not clear to you? Obviously if you have 30 people trying to push 100Mbps on a 1Gbps port, the speeds will suck for everyone.. but it will still be evidently faster than your brain's processing speed.

@rm_ said:
    Oh would you just shut up at this point since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, all their hosts have 10 Gbps ports at least, evident by the shaping bug last summer, when I personally got 3+ Gbit iperf speeds on multiple VPSes. For months.

Oh yeah.. thats cause it was a fucking bug you idiot.. :D Welcome back to the normal where everyone gets that nice half speed of their 100 Mbps port.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

stefeman said: everyone gets that nice half speed

I have no problem maxing out full 100 in 100 out, perhaps I'm one of your neighbours you were talking about (hi there!).

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

I have both their Cloud VPS and normal SSD VPS, but only in Montreal, not France. Both have worked perfectly fine for me for over a year. I can pretty much max the port anytime on both.

SSD VPS (Azure 100MB):

100%[==================================================>] 104,857,600 10.4MB/s in 11s

Cloud VPS (Azure 100MB):

100%[==================================================>] 104,857,600 10.7MB/s in 11s

Edit: Replaced Cachefly with Azure

• I have the a VPS-SSD in BHS and it's pretty good, but there's definitely a 100mbps port speed cap, even to other OVH servers inside OVH.

• stefeman said: Welcome back to the normal where everyone gets that nice half speed of their 100 Mbps port.

The OVH VPSes have no problems at all doing 100Mbps.

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    11.9MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      6.28MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   10.3MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   8.61MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   11.1MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   10.7MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      8.44MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   7.53MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     9.84MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    11.8MB/s

• sin said: The OVH VPSes have no problems at all doing 100Mbps.

I don't understand why people post these inbound tests as if they mean something. Show us outbound. That's what matters for a server.

Thanked by 2doughmanes vimalware
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

sin said: The OVH VPSes have no problems at all doing 100Mbps.

I don't understand why people post these inbound tests as if they mean something. Show us outbound. That's what matters for a server.

Unless you are a gamer or torrent Linux ISOs.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:

sin said: The OVH VPSes have no problems at all doing 100Mbps.

Here's rsync transfers from both (Montreal) to SoftLayer Dallas.

Cloud VPS:

100MB.bin
    104.86M 100% 11.46MB/s 0:00:08 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

SSD VPS:

100MB.bin
    104.86M 100% 11.73MB/s 0:00:08 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

Thanked by 1willie
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited March 2017

I get around 100 up 100 down on my VPS Cloud 3 and same with a VPS SSD 1 I have as well, these are both in BHS, however speeds can fluctuate.

As far as CPU performance goes I've had no issues on my Cloud 3 as well as disk storage as well. I haven't tested or used the SSD ranges that much to tell as far as CPU and disk access times go for them. If you have an issue with your VPS phone support is pretty helpful in those cases.

• n1kko said: Never looked at OVH for VPS but I have a few domains with them

Just await next 2-5 years when OVH spawn the whole World and global government provide a new program- Kimsufi to every householder :)