Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick Beard on a LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sick Beard on a LEB

FreekFreek Member
edited January 2012 in Help

I'm not sure if some of you guys have heard of 'Sick Beard' before (or usenet/newsgroups in general), but here's what it does in a nutshell: Sick Beard is a PVR for newsgroup users. It scans your harddrive for episodes you already own and then it watches for new episodes of your favorite shows and when they are posted it downloads them, sorts and renames them.
More info on Sick Beard: http://sickbeard.com/

I was wondering if it's possible to setup sickbeard on a VPS and have it transfer the files automatically to my local machine. Here's why: I want to use a fork of sickbeard which only works on Linux.
Since I already have a Windows server in my home network, I can't afford to setup another dedicated box in my network, just to run sickbeard. Switching the current box to Linux isn't an option either, as I have several programs which only work on a Windows server.
Therefore I had the idea of running sickbeard on a dedicated server or VPS.

However, there are some problems to overcome in the first place:

1. Sickbeard will scan the harddrive of the VPS for media files and of course, it will find none as they are stored on my local Windows server. How can I 'mount'/'link' my harddrive the VPS so that Sickbeard will see it as it's local harddrive and will scan it for mediafiles?

2. (related to problem 1): Sickbeard will download the TV shows to the harddrive of the VPS, as that's what it's running on obviously. How can I transfer the download TV shows automatically to my local Windows server?

3. (somewhat related to problem 2): The storage capacity of the VPS is far more limited than my local Windows server. How can I have Sickbeard cleanup "old" mediafiles/files that have transferred to my Windows server already (see problem 1)?

I think problem 1 is the biggest issue to tackle in the first place. Still, I think it's a hard nut to crack, because you have to setup some sort of link between the VPS and my local Windows server, else it will start downloading episodes from the beginning of every TV show.

Is this even possible? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks

Comments

• AdamAdam Member
    edited January 2012

Easier to just parse rss feeds...

BTW, here's something that may interest you:
    http://showrss.karmorra.info/

^ Allows you to create a custom feed without duplicates, and then you can just hook it up to BT.

(I know sickbeard uses usenet, but you could easily get a lightweight vps (linux based) and setup an rss feed)

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2012

@Adam Thanks for the reply :) Looks interesting. Problem is, most VPS providers do not allow torrents because you have to upload as well.
    Also, the Sick Beard fork I want to install, does more than just downloading the TV shows. It also supports automatic downloading of the correct/corresponding subtitles and has support for Dutch TV shows :)

• NickMNickM Member
    edited January 2012

Why not run it in a VM on your Windows server, and use Samba for sharing?

• @NickM Best ideas are simple haha. Hadn't thought of that yet. Much easier I guess.
    Will look into it tomorrow!

• Why do you need to use a fork of SickBeard? The original one will work just fine on Windows.
    Also is it an option to mod the fork so that it will run on Windows?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Why do you need to use a fork of SickBeard? The original one will work just fine on Windows.

Three posts above yours....

@Freek said: Also, the Sick Beard fork I want to install, does more than just downloading the TV shows. It also supports automatic downloading of the correct/corresponding subtitles and has support for Dutch TV shows :)

Clearly it's a "dutchy" thing ;) I hear the best development code for Sickbeard comes out of the cafe's over there.

• @gsrdgrdghd Some have tried modding the fork to run on Windows, none have succeeded.

• @Freek i just answered your question in the SickBeard topic on Tweakers :P