Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torrent Client Tutorial Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Torrent Client Tutorial Needed

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
edited February 2013 in Help

Hi,
I'm new here on LET. I have not seen any rules regarding discussing about any tutorial. So, I hope that Discussion on Torrent won't be a result of Getting Banned !

I want to run a Torrent Client on my LowEnd VPS but also need some good configuration. I used to use Deluge but it resulted in getting my VPS suspended for uncountable open connections. I need a reliable Torrent Client installing tutorial where I can limit the Seed/Peers. I just want to download torrent to my VPS first, then want to download it to my local PC. I don't know enough about Seeds and Peers. I will be happy if anybody here can give me any trick.

Comments

• You can limit the number of connections with deluge. If you are not a fan of config files, try using the deluge web ui. You can install it via 'apt-get install deluge-web'. The default port is 8112 and it will ask you to reset the password first time you login. Then to limit the number of connections, click on Preferences near the top, click on bandwidth and then change Maximum Connections to whatever number you want. Hope this helps :).

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,
    I use Deluge Web UI. :P
    But, the problem is I set all the settings to least number. Yet, they get that my VPS is using many connection at a time. And so suspend it often. Can you tell me what numbers on the connections should be set ??

• You should probably just use your VPS as a VPN and do the torrenting directly from home.

But that won't help me. I get very poor speed torrenting directly from my local PC. So, I want to download the files at my VPS first, then at Local PC.

• alterarchalterarch Member
    edited February 2013

Is it possible that you are being suspended for another reason? What is your current connections limit set as and who is your host? Also, when you got suspended, did your host give a recommended limit?

• One of the easiest is to install transmission-daemon and then use Transmission Remote GUI to manage your downloads, http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/ . Here is a guide how to set it up. http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/setting-up-transmission-remote-gui-in.html

I don't think that there can be any other reason behind it. Bcz, I only ran that. :P
    My Host is URPAD. And, when they suspended it, they showed me the log that there was too much running connections ! But, they did not give me any limit.

• Could you post the log here, and block out any IP for Privacy reasons?

• @Centaur said: One of the easiest is to install transmission-daemon and then use Transmission Remote GUI to manage your downloads, http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/ . Here is a guide how to set it up. http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/setting-up-transmission-remote-gui-in.html

He is not having problems with the torrent client, but with the amount of active connections to his server :).

• @alterarch said: He is not having problems with the torrent client, but with the amount of active connections to his server :).

You can easily limit the amount of peers with that setup.

@Centaur said: You can easily limit the amount of peers with that setup.

Then you think I have to try again ;) ?? Okay, I will again setup from the beginning and will let you know about it. I have limited the amount of peers but I think there is something wrong and thus it didn't work !

• @Centaur said: You can easily limit the amount of peers with that setup.

Both of them allow you to do that.

@ehostlab said: Then you think I have to try again ;) ?? Okay, I will again setup from the beginning and will let you know about it. I have limited the amount of peers but I think there is something wrong and thus it didn't work !

I think you still are allowing too many connections in or you misinterpreted the support ticket. Maybe they said there was a different issue with your setup? It could also be dependant on what else is running on the server, to the point where the torrents tip it over the edge of too many connections. Could you also post or PM me the support ticket? I might be able to read into it a bit further.

• UrPad don't allow torrent.... Find a better host with a more sensible approach. buyvm,hostigation and easevps allow it.

• mahjongmahjong Member
    edited February 2013

just don't use crowncloud unlimited plans, they suck.
    PS: Sorry, but i was frustrated, anyway, the problem: They have an auto banning mechanism on the node. One user abusing something (like iceweasel, rtorrent or deluge, as you mentioned) and it becomes banned on the whole node.

Can anyone here tell me how to send PM here ?? I'm new here and also unfamiliar with Vanilla CMS !

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2013

Click on their username -> (Top Left Corner) Send (Username) a Message

• Rtorrent is lighter on resources than transmission and deluge.

@alterarch said: Could you also post or PM me the support ticket? I might be able to read into it a bit further.

Hi,
    I have sent the details of the ticket regarding this issue. Please, verify from yourself of getting that and let me know what was that !

@abaxas said: Rtorrent is lighter on resources than transmission and deluge.

Any Good Tutorial on it for centos 5 32bit ??

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited February 2013

wget http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/downloads/libtorrent-0.13.3.tar.gz && wget
    http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/downloads/rtorrent-0.9.3.tar.gz && tar zxfh libtorrent-0.13.3.tar.gz && tar zxfh rtorrent-0.9.3.tar.gz && cd libtorrent-0.13.3 && ./configure && make && make install && cd ../ && cd rtorrent-0.9.3 && ./configure && make && make install && cd .. && rm -r libtorrent-0.13.* rtorrent-0.9.* && rtorrent

(Is it possible to enther a command this long? Never tried it :p)

Just noticed Centos, should work tough.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@mahjong said: just don't use crowncloud unlimited plans, they suck.

PM'd you, hope to get this matter looked into and solved :)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

Sure, we still allow this. UK Bandwidth isn't as generous as other locations, we're now 3-4 GBP per Mbit. $5/Per 1TB.

@Taylor said: easevps

• How's that relevant?

@Jack said: You only had 15TB at BurstNET didn't you @Jacob?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

PS: Sorry, but i was frustrated, anyway, the problem: They have an auto banning mechanism on the node. One user abusing something (like iceweasel, rtorrent or deluge, as you mentioned) and it becomes banned on the whole node.

No prob, glad to have the situation sorted, and as mentioned in the PM, we're removing that off as it's just not sensible to use that now and replacing it with something well, sensible, to say the least which wont affect / ban the app on the whole node.

• http://code.google.com/p/pyroscope/source/browse/trunk/pyrocore/docs/rtorrent-extended/build.sh?r=1903

build.sh that does it all for you. Then use rutorrent if you need a frontend.