Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good experience with cheap SSL recently..?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good experience with cheap SSL recently..?

natestammnatestamm Member
edited February 2013 in General

Pretty simply, I have some needs for UCC and other low volume sites, some great deals out there right now any one find any they like to share please do.

Comments

• wroxwrox Member
    edited February 2013

StartSSL provides free SSL certificates. Tried myself, works fine for my personal needs.

• You can get a free one from startssl.com. Or a cheap PositiveSSL from NameCheap

• $45 wildcard ssl

• @curtisg said: $45 wildcard ssl

Where?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2013

Seems that ipxcore doesn't sell that cheap SSL's anymore :(

@Damian

• I haven't found any reviews of garrisonhost, not good, and not bad, so, I've been avoiding it :P
    How is it?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

@yomero said: Seems that ipxcore doesn't sell that cheap SSL's anymore :(

>

We do, they're just not on the main site anymore.

https://billingcp.us/cart.php?gid=4

If anyone buys one, note that they're not instant setup, but you should be set up same-day.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@yomero The fliphost wildcard is from them. Works great

• @Damian said: We do, they're just not on the main site anymore.

OMG, that's great!
    I will get one the next week if I get some money :P

@Fliphost said: The fliphost wildcard is from them.

Enough review for me, I will consider them in a future too.
    For now, I am sold with IPX :P

• I get my certificates through Namecheap with RapidSSL (http://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/geotrust-ssl-certificates.aspx). It's only $9.49 per year.

• http://www.gogetssl.com/

Comodo Positive SSL --> $2.95

• @yomero said: I haven't found any reviews of garrisonhost, not good, and not bad, so, I've been avoiding it :P

How is it?

I've bought a wildcard from them . Support ticket response gets Delayed a bit on weekends apart from that , experience so far has been good.

• StartSSL all the way. You shouldn't have to pay for a domain validation cert because it doesn't cost the provider anything to issue. $1.99 or whatever for one of those heavily discounted Comodo certs isn't bad, but there's no need to feed the SSL cert cartel unless you need higher validation or wildcard.

• @gameon said: Support ticket response gets Delayed a bit on weekends apart from that , experience so far has been good.

Thanks for the info

@Dylan said: or wildcard.

That's the idea, wildcard ftw

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

So what exactly is the diffrence between a rapid wildcard and a alpha wildcard? Encrytion, another ssl brand/provider I'm guessing? Was just wondering as I haven't looked into this before.

• self signed ssl cert - $0

• @GIANT_CRAB said:self singed ssl cert - $0

No browser trust - priceless

• @GIANT_CRAB said: self signed ssl cert - $0

That would be beyond useless

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@GIANT_CRAB said: self signed ssl cert - $0

@Andre said: No browser trust - priceless

You could at least use CAcert SSL, free multi-domain + subdomain wildcard certs and trusted by at least some browsers/OSes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CACert#Inclusion_status
    Good for personal/hobby projects.

• wlanboywlanboy Member
    edited February 2013

@MonsteR

So what exactly is the diffrence between a rapid wildcard and a alpha wildcard?

Just different brands:

• www.rapidssl.com
    • www.alphassl.org

@rm_
    Thank you. I did not know CAcert. But they are not included in the browsers.

StartSSL looks promising:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startssl#StartSSL. It includes all browsers.

My choice would be: Comodo Positive SSL
    http://www.gogetssl.com/domain-validation/comodo-positive-ssl/
    Cannot believe the "Free Reissues: Yes". But looks like it is a real offer.

• @wlanboy said: Just different brands

Thanks

• I can confirm that PositiveSSL from NameCheap work with Google Checkout, PayPal Pro and other payment gateway.

!(http://gio.myterabyte.com/myimages/forum/namecheap.png)

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited February 2013

@Amarielle @rm_ you seem upset.
    SSL depends more on the configuration of the SSL daemon than the SSL cert.

If you have EV SSL but you're proned to CRIME and BEAST SSL attacks, what's the point?

• I am pretty happy StartSSL customer, use their wildcard cert for my domain. They also authenticate with certs, so I like the added security. They also refused Class 2 wildcard t send the authorization to anywhere but my family's home address in a different country because that is what they could verify through their methods. Fast customer service too. I was decently impressed.

• Dear Natestamm! For UCC/SAN we recommend to use Comodo PositiveSSL UCC/SAN. The price is 55,85$ and it includes 3 domains, but you can add up to 2000 additional domains for just $17.00 each. It's Domain Validation SSL and no need to supply any documents to Comodo. SSL will be issued within 3-5 minutes.

gogetssl.com/domain-validation/comodo-positive-ssl-mdc/

• upfreakupfreak Member

StartSSL +1. It works so well and recognized by almost all browsers. I am using their $0 certs, however I am inclined to try their class 2 certs soon, when some of my existing ones come for renewal

PositiveSSL - If for some reason you are unable to get StartSSL working go for this...

AlphaSSL, RapidSSL - they are quite cheap as well.

• @alh @peppr I'm glad you guys like StartSSL this thread is a little dated for me But I had positive results with their free certs already. Was pretty surprised at the browser acceptance there, definitely recommend.
    @gogetssl thanks for the offer I found my needs were a little unwitting on my part really didn't need to go UCC/SAN and wouldn't unless I needed to get an Exchange server up and running with a strong cert.

All in all right now I'm mostly using GoDaddy certs and EV for my higher end clients. Can't really help my love for the GD they've just been good to me and I like their interface so I'm just a happy Daddy customer.
    If they ever started to do LEB hosting god forbid I would just cry from happiness meh.

• FreekFreek Member

I tried StartSSL once, I found it to be very confusing tbh

• upfreakupfreak Member

@Freek said: very confusing tbh

You need to install a private cert in your browser to access their auth panel for the first time. Apart from that it is pretty much straight forward