Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndFAQ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndFAQ

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Here are answers to some common questions, ticket topics, and frequent comments.

Being humans, most of you probably won't read this but at least now the mods will have something they can point to with righteous indignation. "IT'S IN THE FAQ, MORTAL!"

"I got a warning! Now everyone thinks I'm a bad person! Please remove it!"

First, know that only you and the mods can see warnings. So we're the only people who know you're a bad person and everyone else still thinks you're so goody two-shoes.

Second, most of the time warnings are just a nudge and nod to the rules. The mods remove them periodically but if it's been a while, ticket in. There are no permanent warnings - they're really just a head's up.

"Someone responded to a thread with an offer, they didn't have the Provider tag, and it made me so mad!"

This is actually OK. The Provider tag is only required to start actual, official Offers-category threads. Responding to threads with an informal offer is legal.

Of course, one might wonder why someone who's in the business and looking for clients is not authorized to post in the Offers section...

"I am taking my ball and going home. Can you delete my posts?"

No. It makes a mess of the forum. If you post on LET, it will be here for all time, until the heat death of the universe, and depending on your personal beliefs, possibly even longer.

However, take comfort in the fact that, depending on your username and avatar, you may very well be practically anonymous.

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

can we get a faq entry for "I am a new user posting a scam accusation or offer, can you ban the people bullying me in my own thread"

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited January 2017

And an entry for the origins/meaning of the legend of fartmother, please.

Edit: Seriously, though... what up with the whole fart mother thing?

• @raindog308 LET will close down once it's purpose has been met. To bring IPv6 to ColoCrossing!

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

raindog308 said: However, take comfort in the fact that, depending on your username and avatar, you may very well be practically anonymous.

Registers @UnicornStiffler as a throw_away so I can agree with the methods @Nekki uses for various nefarious acts. Gets outed by some gun toting rainbow licking sack sniffler as being an ALT of @pbgben and now people know how much I love @Trump and that I have an odd attraction to power hungry dictators.

Just no damn luck... Bastards.

• The first question in any kind of LET faq should be... "Do you have a sister ?"

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2017

@MasonR said:
    And an entry for the origins/meaning of the legend of fartmother, please.

Edit: Seriously, though... what up with the whole fart mother thing?

From this thread:

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

raindog308 said: The Provider tag is only required to start actual, official Offers-category threads. Responding to threads with an informal offer is legal.

unless (from the actual rules):

It is not allowed to respond to threads requesting an offer with "PM me" or "e-mail me" without having had a public thread on LowEndTalk.com with your provider details in it (in accordance with our guidelines) OR a public statement of which company you represent.

But tbh this rule is ignored and not enforced at all now so it might as well be removed and have this FAQ supersede it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

raindog308 said: The Provider tag is only required to start actual, official Offers-category threads. Responding to threads with an informal offer is legal.

unless (from the actual rules):

It is not allowed to respond to threads requesting an offer with "PM me" or "e-mail me" without having had a public thread on LowEndTalk.com with your provider details in it (in accordance with our guidelines) OR a public statement of which company you represent.

But tbh this rule is ignored and not enforced at all now so it might as well be removed and have this FAQ supersede it.

I actually do enforce that when I see it. I think it's often misunderstood though. Basically when someone has never mentioned their company, has no offer thread or signature, and comes in with "I can do this, PM me" I see a recipe for disaster.

My experience is that it typically means someone had an idle dedi from a promo and decided they could make money in the moment, and that's what I'm trying to discourage. We had a bit of that ramping up for a while. Negative reviews always seemed to follow.

But if they're not being secretive or shady, post an offer in a thread or even ask for a PM. As long as you're not doing it that way to avoid public scrutiny of your company.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

So essentially you can advertise on any thread if you have an appropriate package based on the thread itself even if you are not a verified provider and even then as long as your not an individual saying PM me then it is fine, i.e a sole trader/individual selling hosting is fine as is a company but an individual that just happens to have this one opportunity is not?

Just for clarity, I tend to report none company/provider offers/PM ME's posted in random threads which is why I ask.

• So if someone calls me a fartmother, I can punch them in the armpit with a fishing pole?
    SAWEEEEEEEET!!!!!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    So essentially you can advertise on any thread if you have an appropriate package based on the thread itself even if you are not a verified provider and even then as long as your not an individual saying PM me then it is fine, i.e a sole trader/individual selling hosting is fine as is a company but an individual that just happens to have this one opportunity is not?

Just for clarity, I tend to report none company/provider offers/PM ME's posted in random threads which is why I ask.

Basically if I don't know, or can't find, what host you represent then I'd prefer you not ask someone to PM you for an offer. How we get to the point where I know what host you represent is pretty open. Maybe you mentioned it in a thread, maybe it's in your signature, maybe your email address you signed up with is on its domain.

If it looks like the intent of the "PM me for the offer" is to hide your company from public view, that's where I get concerned.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Can we add

Q: "I requested a refund and now the host won't talk to me anymore"

A: "You most likely requested said refund through paypal. Paypal is NOT a refund mechanism, it's a "get your money back if all else fails" mechanism. It basically tells paypal the host is not trustworthy. The host will suffer from a reduced standing with paypal, along with high refund charges.

To properly get a refund, send in a ticket to the host. Then wait at least 3 days for a response (remember: billing works mon-fri only most of the time). After a response, allow a generous amount of time for the funds to be returned to you.

If all else fails you can open a paypal dispute.

Don't come crying on the forums about hosts treating you unfairly because you opened a paypal dispute, you started it by treating them unfairly due to said paypal dispute"

Thanked by 2HostDoc sanvit
  • Adam1Adam1 Member

Who do I contact about a security issue with LET?

• Adam1 said: Who do I contact about a security issue with LET?

You don't.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Holy Necro mamma mia

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Adam1 said:
    Who do I contact about a security issue with LET?

Not sure what you found but I also found something recently

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I have a question

Yes.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@deank said:
    Yes.

Thank you

• No.

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited April 2019

FAT32 said: Not sure what you found but I also found something recently

It involves private messages and notifications :)

• Adam1Adam1 Member

deank said: Holy Necro mamma mia

I'm of the opinion you cant necro a pinned/sticky thread ;P

Pinned and forgotten thread from 2017. It reeked of death and you chose to spray sand upon it.

• @deank said:
    Pinned and forgotten thread from 2017. It reeked of death and you chose to spray sand upon it.

Two years isn't necro. Hell, it's probably still bloated with gas.