Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS with SQL Server Web Edition
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS with SQL Server Web Edition

Hi Guys,
any recommended provider for my requirement ?
I would need around 4GB RAM + 100GB SSD for the start with budget around $100/month. Surely will expand later following transaction count.

Comments

• Check with ChicagoVPS and Virmach

• There are many providers I think. Like OVH, Digital Ocean, Vultr, and the smaller ones like Blazing, H4F.

• OVH's VPS Cloud 3 is pretty good for that, I have one and it's been up for over 6 months serving MySQL databases fast with no issues, Windows runs just fine on their CPUs as well, I had one for a couple months to run some IIS ASP.net programs and ran game servers on it as well and it did it no problem.

https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-cloud.xml

Best price to performance ratio imo and Windows Server 2012 R2 upgradable to 2016.

Hosted in Montreal Canada however, I live in Indiana and get around 25ms or so on a fiber optic connection and 32ms on Comcast Cable.

• @dedicados said:
    Check with ChicagoVPS and Virmach

As I know they don't include SQL Server web edition in their Windows plan. But I will create a ticket to their pre-sales team to ask about this.
    Thanks though.

• Thanks for all your suggestion.
    But the important part of my requirement is "SQL Server Web Edition", and I can't see it in their offered plan.

• Wondering if I need to create a ticket to each of their pre-sales team to compare the price...

• WSSWSS Member

"Web Edition" has a couple more things, but it's basically the same thing.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993(SQL.105).aspx

You can get a free 120 day trial of the standard one, and see if it works for you. Beyond the profiler, I don't really see why you'd be tied to a specific release of SQL Server.

• Are you looking at something specific that is only available in the Web edition?

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Which location you are looking at?

• Noooo, Enterprise Edition is far to expensive.
    refer to this : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-2016-pricing

What I need is provider which sell SQL Server Web Edition license along with their VPS.

Azure is the example, but their price is just not in my range.

• @saibal said:
    Are you looking at something specific that is only available in the Web edition?

Yes, the license.
    With Web Edition I could pay monthly. If I don't need it anymore, I will just shut it down anytime I want.

• @ExpertVM said:
    Which location you are looking at?

Asia preferred.

• found old thread in WHT which recommend liquidweb.
    But their price extremely expensive....

• @jholycloud said:

@saibal said:
    Are you looking at something specific that is only available in the Web edition?

Yes, the license.
    With Web Edition I could pay monthly. If I don't need it anymore, I will just shut it down anytime I want.

Ah, I see. What about the express version with advanced services? Does it need a license too? They seem to be similar:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13985866/sql-server-difference-web-edition-vs-express-edition-with-advanced-series

The maximum allowable size of the databases could be a factor though.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

PM sent

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@jholycloud said:
    Hi Guys,
    I would need around 4GB RAM + 100GB SSD for the start with budget around $100/month. Surely will expand later following transaction count.

We can provide this in Asheville, North Carolina within your budget. CPU will be 2 cores, Windows and SQL server will be licensed. Virtualization is Hyper-V.

Let me know if you are interested :)

• @leapswitch said:

@jholycloud said:
    Hi Guys,

We can provide this in Asheville, North Carolina within your budget. CPU will be 2 cores, Windows and SQL server will be licensed. Virtualization is Hyper-V.

Let me know if you are interested :)

sure, please PM me about the detail.