Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4GB UK VPS for £4.00/month (~$6.26 USD) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4GB UK VPS for £4.00/month (~$6.26 USD)

Comments

• Crazy choice for the name @sean. All English definitions of the word dire are negatives.

• Awesome. No support even for network failures, hacked and all data erased, etc.
    Just awesome.

• @DalComp said: No support even for network failures, hacked and all data erased, etc.

Why would network failures require support? We take care of that. Again, why is it an unmanaged hosts problem if you get hacked? If you want a fully managed service feel free to buy one.

• @pubcrawler said: Crazy choice for the name @sean. All English definitions of the word dire are negatives.

It IS crazy. Isn't that the whole point? :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@DalComp said: No support even for network failures, hacked and all data erased, etc.

Read more carefully ;-)

Our overheads are very low in part due to our automated systems which we developed in-house which save us not only in terms of licencing costs but staffing too. With our DireVPS brand we are providing little to no support other than the bare minimum (i.e. billing and problems caused by us) which helps drive down costs.

It's similar than with most other unmanaged LEB providers. They don't offer support for our own crap but take care for potential issues caused on their side.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2013

@Spirit said: Read more carefully ;-)

Whoops, sorry I missed that. I stopped at, "We will actively ignore any e-mails sent to us regarding a DireVPS service".
    I am sure when VPS went down, people would ask support about what's going on. I'd at least require clarification if it's network problem, VPS suspension, or whatever the reason is.

I guess the offer is quite fair now.

• If your VPS is down due to a network problem there is no need to contact us. We will contact you to let you know.

If it's suspension this is would be clear not only through our control panel but we'll also be in touch.

• How many CPU cores does this offer include?

• @gubbyte said: How many CPU cores does this offer include?

>

0 by the looks of it.

• @gubbyte said: How many CPU cores does this offer include?

Right now it's 2. We'll see how it goes.

• @CVPS_Chris said: @Pubcrawler, limited time could mean 1 hour or one week. No one knows. If its real the deal is unsustainable, along with a ton of other things wrong with the site etc.

Er, it means once we run out of IPs they will not be available to new customers, not that your address will disappear. The IPs are our own from RIPE NCC as an LIR.

My guess, this is a server that is being hosted free for the first month and the host will be gone shortly there after.

You're kidding right? We're a very well established and as it says right on www.direvps.com we are re-purposing our oldest VPS nodes for this service.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@earl said: Question: Can I run a Minecraft server

Answer: Nope.

Question: Do you allow IRC?

Question: Do you allow TOR?

Question: Do you allow proxy/VPN services?

Question: Do you allow BitTorrent?

Question: Do you allow Usenet?

Could have just wrote what people CAN use it for, perhaps wouldn't be a long list.
    I could see the theoretical point of this being a half-joke and half an useful offer to some, but disallowing even the simple harmless uses like IRC, proxy and VPN is beyond silly and makes it just an unfunny useless crap.

• @rm_ said: Could have just wrote what people CAN use it for, perhaps wouldn't be a long list.

+1

• I am tempted, I want to get my account suspended :D

(Sean, please don't kill my KVM server :P)

• @yomero said: I am tempted, I want to get my account suspended :D

well there is still Folding@home, I was going to ask them but they did mention if you have to ask it's probably not allowed..

• So, what could you run that uses 4GB ram, 100GB drive space, and 2TB bandwidth that wouldn't get you terminated?

Maybe I am just too big of a noob. @sean How badly are the servers oversold?

This is kind of a serious question too :)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2013

100gb of backups?

• Well site looks like openITC template https://clients.openitc.co.uk/ :D

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Its just an honest version of what most of the stupid deal hosts offer anyway, I cant believe the reaction to someone just being honest.

Openvz is oversold, fact. You are better off with a host that admits it, owns the servers and is an established company and a ripe member.

Or..... Would you rather get a 2.5 gb vps from someone leasing a none raid server and lieing about it?

• I think the whole concept of this ad is interesting.

Social art project this is if nothing else.

Perhaps you could offer some of these in the United States :)

• @AnthonySmith said: Or..... Would you rather get a 2.5 gb vps from someone leasing a none raid server and lieing about it?

Who did that?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@GetKVM_Ash said: Who did that?

:)

I suppose what I am saying is why is this such a surprise. we all know how many times 2 goes in to 32 or 48 or how many times 3 goes in to xx or 4 goes in to another number.

And for those that don't, google it, but don't be all shocked that a provider sells xx ram for $xx on OpenVZ then sells much less Ram on another virt type for more money.

:)

• Can I pay you USD instead of GBP?

• @ynzheng PayPal will take care of this for you

• So did anyone buy this offer?

How is the service so far?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Overselling server resources, as servers in UK is very expebsive and it will be not profitable to run VPS company at above stated plan.

As the above plan comes without HW or network support, meaning that server can be offline for whole month/year.

• sean has learned from experience that LEB customers are mostly impulse buyers who order servers and underutilize them for months, that is if they ever utilize them at all. In Sean's case the most a user will lose is a $7 monthly payment. Try getting a decent takeaway at that price in this part of the world.

People have to be honest. If someone actually needs a 4GB VM would they have to wait for $7 offer before going for it?

• sean has learned from experience that LEB customers are mostly impulse buyers who order servers and underutilize them for months, that is if they ever utilize them at all. In Sean's case the most a user will lose is a $7 monthly payment. Try getting a decent takeaway at that price in this part of the world.

People have to be honest. If someone actually needs a 4GB VM would they have to wait for $7 offer before going for it?

• @WebProject said: Overselling server resources, as servers in UK is very expebsive and it will be not profitable to run VPS company at above stated plan.

As the above plan comes without HW or network support, meaning that server can be offline for whole month/year.

I'm not quite sure why so many think it's neither profitable or going to be around in a few months. Of course it is! It is EXACTLY the same as what 99% of other OpenVZ providers do!

In any case you are paying for 1 month, not 1 year.

• I think it's feasible @sean albeit funny ad and oddball name.

Still waiting to hear from anyone who has bought.