Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody here have a lack rack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody here have a lack rack?

24khost24khost Member
edited January 2013 in General

So I was searching DIY racks and came across the lack rack, made from the LACK end table from Ikea anybody else here got one of these?

This is for at home. Looking at getting some rackmounts and looks like it could be apretty good idea!

Comments

• I have a LACK table not in a rack but I actually use it as a table. The legs are made out of the cheapest particleboard you can get. So I dont know how well it would hold weight on the legs.

• http://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

I figured I might have to brace it with some angle iron.

• That is bloody brilliant!

Link for the lazy

• Really if it is not moving around alot should be pretty sturdy.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I always wanted one of these :P

• I have one in the living room from before I knew about it as rack. They're very nice: €5 1/3 rack

I have a storage rack from local DIY shop and it's exactly a bread rack, fits 16 mid towers

• for the $10 dollars one of these costs and some diy angle iron supports and it will be perfect.

• Watch out if you're buying new from Ikea . The new design has hollow legs as opposed to filled ones.

• MitchellMitchell Member
    edited January 2013

@ ivanfilippov said: Watch out if you're buying new from Ikea . The new design has hollow legs as opposed to filled ones.

Huh? I thought they had always been hollow (in Netherlands at least, guy who made lack rack wiki page is from Netherlads too).

Edit:
    Yeah, I was right, here's a quote from the wiki:

Current LACK tables have hollow legs; only the top 5 cm (2") is solid. Fitting equipment below the solid section may require the use of cavity plugs, such as these

• Lackracks are whack. Ikea stuff like that is pure crap and glue. But interesting DIY cheap experiment.

Angle steel is the way to go. Will last forever and intended to hold real weight.

• Is there some cool DIY plan for cable management on Lack Rack, other than buying normal 1U Cable Management Tidy Bar?

• @sampppa said: Is there some cool DIY plan for cable management on Lack Rack, other than buying normal 1U Cable Management Tidy Bar?

Wall plints?

• lowendrack!