Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linksys from bad to worse.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linksys from bad to worse.

24khost24khost Member
edited January 2013 in General

Cisco to sell Linksys business to Belkin
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2239064/cisco-to-sell-linksys-business-to-belkin

Linksys from bad to worse!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Linksys routers... no matter how many people swear by them, I still call them complete trash. They removed antennas to reduce range. It really does reduce the range in every building I've tested. They randomly die every 6-12 months and become paperweights. Now Belkin?

Getting harder and harder to find a good router at consumer pricing.

• the 54g ones with extended antennas were the last good ones in my opinion.

Agreed.

• @jarland is this is to much agreeing between us!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

I also agree...
    I've switched to Netgear for almost everythin.
    Belkin networking stuff suck and now Linksys stuff will too :(

@shovenose said: I've switched to Netgear for almost everythin.

I had some bad experiences but that was years ago. How long have you been using them? I may want to pick up a few.

edited January 2013

I've deployed hundreds of Netgear routers in peoples houses and even small businesses in the last couple of years. Not a single failure so far (knock on wood, I'm probably going to get a call in 10 minutes about one failing LOL)...
    Also, I bought a Netgear DSL Modem to replace the crappy 2Wire one AT&T gave me. It worked much better, but now it's sitting in a box in the closet because I ditched AT&T DSL like a month after buying the modem. LOL.
    Personally i use a WNR2000v3 at home, it's outdated now, with only 100Mbps LAN, but it's never caused any performance issues, and it's always been rock solid. Also I use two Gigabit switches at my place, one Netgear and one D-Link, both have been fine even though the Netgear clearly has better build quality, and the D-Link's original power adapter died, so I had to splice a different one on :)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited January 2013

+1000 for ye olde faithful Linksys black & blue running DD-WRT!!

I've had some run over a year without reboot.

Also brought some bricked ones back to life with custom cabling I made.

• TP-Link is what I use.

@Jacob: the last three ToiletPaper-Links I've bought ended up in the trash.

• What's a router?

tethering4life

@gubbyte: slow speeds, limited data caps, unreliability, poor phone battery life, what else?

@shovenose said: Not a single failure so far

That's what I like to hear. Thanks for the tip. Monoprice routers were going to be my next choice but then I ordered 10 of them only to find out that they all have a memory leak that leads to their having to be rebooted frequently, and they've known about it for over a year without a software update.

edited January 2013

My WNR2000v3 has never needed a reboot, not counting when I update it's firmware or during extended power outages (have a small UPS on it and my cable modem)
    PS, slightly off topic, but I have been so much happier ever since I bought my own Motorola cable modem rather than paying Comcast $7/month for their crappy Arris :)

• @shovenose said: slow speeds, limited data caps, unreliability, poor phone battery life, what else?

• no slow speeds; 3G is great at ~400kbps
    • Three UK has no data caps and no fair use policy
    • very reliable, drops only happen 2-3 times a week
    • can always get a replacement battery if I ever need one :)
  • Linksys has stunk for years.

This should be the end of the line for the company and name.

edited January 2013

@shovenose said: my own Motorola cable modem

I do like the motorola ones. Almost every time I've thought they were unreliable, it turned out to be an issue somewhere else. The other times I attribute to getting thrown around too much as rentals.

@gubbyte said: no slow speeds; 3G is great at ~400kbps

I get 2-6mbit here. I love the $200/m bill I get when I tether.

edited January 2013

http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/router-installed-300x225.jpg
    That's a pic of my Netgear when I got it. In the mean time I've moved to a different place but hey...

• @gubbyte Wheres the 4G! keep up... ;)

• @jarland said: I get 2-6mbit here. I love the $200/m bill I get when I tether.

Only costing me £15 a month on pay as you go, also includes 300 minutes and 3000 texts. Gotta love all-you-can-eat data :)

@Jacob said: Wheres the 4G! keep up... ;)

Three don't do 4G yet, although they're getting it this year iirc

• @Jack said: I'm telling on you! them assholes made me pay £5/mo for 'tethering' on my all you can eat data contract.

They've only ever cut me off for tethering once, but I just phoned up and said I was streaming movies on my phone, they put it back on. :)

I don't get that page, oddly enough.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

That's a pic of my Netgear when I got it. In the mean time I've moved to a different place but hey...

Access Denied

The owner of this website (hardwareinsights.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/router-installed-300x225.jpg). (Ref. 1011)

(cloudflare protection)

• Buffalo Technology with Tomato Firmware

@Spirit: oops, that isn't my website any more so I forget it was on CloudFlare.

• asus guys! asus!

• @jarland said: Getting harder and harder to find a good router at consumer pricing.

I got a pretty good router from ebay at a price of 69 something. It was a very big box. It is actually a very low end computer with pfsense installed.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited January 2013

IMO using them for something like a building means an almost sure dissatisfaction and daily complains of occasional connection loss, then a big investment is needed to change equipments to might be cisco or 3com.. which doesn't save much, but obviously the opposite. But I don't know for what reason they sold it, though.

• AndreAndre Member
    edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: ~400kbps

Can't you get HSPA / HSDPA?

I know that my mobile can achieve a max of 21Mbps over HSPA+

Also I thought max theoretical speeds over 3G was like 3.6Mbps... You should be getting better than 400Kbps.

• @Andre said: Can't you get HSPA / HSDPA?

I get HSDPA, but sometimes it drops down to 3G. Sometimes my speeds can go up to 700kbps (which is plenty), but it may just be coverage issues.

• AndreAndre Member
    edited January 2013

@gubbyte
    You are speaking about kilobits here right?
    Because 700 Kbps is pretty bad still.

700 KBps is ~5Mbps, achievable over HSDPA, and is pretty decent.