Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many VPSs should I host in this dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many VPSs should I host in this dedicated server?

YoucoussYoucouss Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hi there !

I am willing to start offering VPS hosting services, I have been looking around for relatively cheap (and quality) dedicated servers, and this is what I found from a French provider :

Xeon E3 - 3.4ghz (4 cores, 8 threads)
32gb RAM
240gb SSD
100mb/s connexion (unmetered trafic)

I am planning to use Xen, how many VPSs do you think I should host in that dedicated server?
Since Xen does not let you oversell RAM, I can host up to 32 VPSs with 1gb each. Would the server work fine with those 32 VPSs?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• if you have 32 IPs, sure

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

Well, your limit is probably the single 240GB SSD. Keep in mind that Xen has more overheard than OpenVZ for most things.
    @gubbyte: he would need 33 IPs because the server itself needs one ;)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

it will be very unbalanced with that low disk space. consider doubling it at least...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Xen also requires ram itself to run, for a 32GB node allocate at least 1GB to the host if your not going to have a lot of smaller VPS's

So really with your host OS + Xen overhead assume you have 30GB to play with and lets say 200GB of sell-able HDD space.

Based on 1GB VPS's you could sell 30 x 1GB | 6GB HDD

Where is the DC out of interest or which provider?

• @Youcouss said: Hi there !

I am willing to start offering VPS hosting services, I have been looking around for relatively cheap (and quality) dedicated servers, and this is what I found from a French provider :

Xeon E3 - 3.4ghz (4 cores, 8 threads)

32gb RAM
    240gb SSD
    100mb/s connexion (unmetered trafic)

I am planning to use Xen, how many VPSs do you think I should host in that dedicated server?

Since Xen does not let you oversell RAM, I can host up to 32 VPSs with 1gb each. Would the server work fine with those 32 VPSs?

Thanks in advance

Storage space is going to be quite limited on this. I am assuming this is from OVH so you have 2 x 120gb SSD?

OVH have also become quite strict now on DDOS/Abuse. I would not host VPS customers of out OVH if I were you. This is not to put a downer on your project, more of a 'look elsewhere' for a provider of servers

• @AnthonySmith said: Where is the DC out of interest or which provider?

probably OVH

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@ShardHost: "OVH have also become quite strict now on DDOS/Abuse. I would not host VPS customers of out OVH if I were you. This is not to put a downer on your project, more of a 'look elsewhere' for a provider of servers"
    Uh oh, could you explain more please? You can do this by PM'ing me if you don't want to hijack this thread too much.
    Thanks!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yeah probably, I have been looking at France as a location for a while but I point blank refuse to use OVH for production stuff that has user control within it i.e. VPS's

• YoucoussYoucouss Member
    edited January 2013

@AnthonySmith
    The provider would be OVH.
    If you refuse to use OVH, there's online.net too, I have heard they are not so bad but offer bad support.

@ShardHost
    That's good to know ! But then I can just control what my clients are doing somehow, to ensure noone is doing anything illegal such as DDOS. Do you have any other dedicated server providers like this in mind? (I am also considering datashack.net)

• I wouldn't worry to much about outgoing ddos attacks, more about the incoming attacks.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

I wouldn't put 32 people on 4 cores, but that's just me. I guess if you don't allow the containers to burst 100% of a core.

• Incoming DDOS is the problem. OVH will shut you down faster than you can say wha?

Then getting the server unlocked again if at all will be a huge drama causing your customers long downtimes and damaging your credibility

• @jarland said: I wouldn't put 32 people on 4 cores, but that's just me. I guess if you don't allow the containers to burst 100% of a core.

Why not? How many people are you putting on a core at the moment?

• YoucoussYoucouss Member
    edited January 2013

@jarland
    That's what I thought, I guess 20-25 would be fine huh?

@ShardHost
    I've already had some bad experience with them being strict, do you know any good & cheap european dedicated server providers similar to OVH? In Germany or Netherlands maybe?

edited January 2013

@ShardHost Well perhaps my logic is flawed but its a comfort zone for me. I'd put (maybe) 60 on 8 cores but I wouldn't put 30 on 4, just like I wouldn't put 15 on 2.

• None that will give you the IPs you need

• @jarland said: Well perhaps my logic is flawed but its a comfort zone for me. I'd put (maybe) 60 on 8 cores but I wouldn't put 30 on 4, just like I wouldn't put 15 on 2.

Do you base that on the current utilisation of your nodes or gut feeling ? (genuine question)

• @Youcouss said: 240gb SSD

Single Drive?

@ShardHost Based on the effect of someone capping a core or two. I suppose the likelihood of that should scale the same based on the number of clients on the node, so probably just pure comfort zone when I think about it.

• @NHRoel
    2x 120gb SSD

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited January 2013

@Youcouss So you are doing Raid 0 to get 240GB? Given the risk that SSD has higher failure rate and you are going to get used SSD from your provider, using that on a raid 0 environment makes it way more risky than single SSD.

• RAID-0...?

@sleddog Real men live on the edge.....of hardware failure.

• @Youcouss said: If you refuse to use OVH, there's online.net too, I have heard they are not so bad but offer bad support.

online.net accepts only french customers

• @MuZo Really? Wow that's stupid, why would they do that? Patriotism maybe?

• @Youcouss said: @MuZo Really? Wow that's stupid, why would they do that? Patriotism maybe?

Fraud maybe

• Lets see if I got this right:

• server has 32gb of RAM
    • each vps will have 1gb of RAM
    • you want to have 32 VPS on the server

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you will be overselling that way.

No matter what kind of virtualization type you use (xen, openvz, kvm, vmware, etc) you always have a host OS and guest VM's.

Depending on how many VM's you plan to have on the node and the type of virtualization that it's been used, you're going to need to leave some reserved RAM for the host os and the hypervisor.

If my memory it's correct I remember sometime ago, that Linode on their 32GB boxes were leaving 2GB for the host os and managment, so they only had 30GB available for VM's

I/O might become you're main problem if you're only going to have a single SSD like other's pointed out if you have highly active I/O VM's if they are low activity you might survive, just don't expect a high speed in disk writing and reading.

@thekreek said: I'm sorry to tell you this, but you will be overselling that way.

Sell 32 1GB plans, months later the node is using 4GB ram. Now I'm not advocating something like selling 128GB of ram on a 32GB system, but if you don't oversell you're wasting hardware.

• @Youcouss said: @MuZo Really? Wow that's stupid, why would they do that? Patriotism maybe?

I don't really know why, I asked ~2 months ago on their IRC and they told me there is no ETA on when they will accept international customers. (http://chat.online.net/)

Maybe you could take a look at https://digicube.fr

Because they knew you would bitch about their French support:

@Youcouss said: offer bad support.