Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendation on HDD and RAID brand
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendation on HDD and RAID brand

erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hi guys,

What brands would you recommend to run in RAID 10 for a VPS node? (just 32GB RAM, Xen)
Myself like Hitachi but WD Red even more. Is my hate for Seagate reasonable or do they work fine for VPS nodes?
For RAID I got LSI recommended (of course) but myself spotted an affordable Intel on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117158

Please share your opinions and experiences :-)

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Seagate Constellations are good

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2012

Everybody has a different story about drives, but I've been very impressed with the Barracuda (ST2000DM001-9YN1) drives in our Denver node. Say what you will, but with the beating they've taken...I've had "enterprise" marketed drives fail while these haven't. Using RE4's in Dallas (WD1003FBYX-0) and we've had two fail in a month. As for RAID, spend the money. If you want a hardware RAID, don't waste money. Throw a BBU on this bad boy and sleep well at night: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118107

• I was a WB RE4 kind of guy until I tried constellations.

• I'm very impressed with the Spinpoint (HD103SJ) drives, especially at the price point there at.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GetKVM_Ash said: Spinpoint

Wow those are priced nicely. I might pick one of those up for my iMac...

• @jarland said: Wow those are priced nicely. I might pick one of those up for my iMac...

Been seeing 150MB/s in RAID1, you wont regret it!

I was a little worried when i saw the model at first with it been desktop class but we haven't had a HDD failure, ever. I should not have said that..

• HD103SJ, Constellations are essentially the same, apart from I paid £20 more for my constellations. :|

I would go with Dell or HP Controller, just for the support really.

The difference between HD103SJ and UJ is quite alot, performance wise we used UJ drives at the start.

• @jarland said: Barracuda

Going for the ST1000DM003 (1TB)

@jarland said: Throw a BBU on this bad boy and sleep well at night

Buying that beast

@GetKVM_Ash said: RAID1

@GetKVM_Ash said: I should not have said that..

Hehehehe

@Jacob said: I would go with Dell or HP Controller, just for the support really.

What is there to support? There's warrenty

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

The Samsung HD103SJ is a great drive.

We've had some failures with ST1000DM003 after a few months of use. I would definitely go with the HD103SJ over the ST1000DM003.

• @Jacob said: I would go with Dell or HP Controller, just for the support really.

Both are rebranded LSI, LSI support is fine on the rare chance I've needed it.

• We use ST1000DM003 they're great drives in RAID 10 easily get 350Mb/s plus :)

• I'm really liking Seagate ST1000VX000 drives lately. We had a recent node build where we were forced to use RE4 drives; the RE4's are rather mediocre against the SV35's, especially for the price.

• @Damian I have a couple RE4s and they suck, apart from the 5 year warranty.

• @Jacob said: I have a couple RE4s and they suck, apart from the 5 year warranty.

I wouldn't say ours suck per se, they're just rather mediocre in terms of performance for the price. We were unable to fit as many people as we wanted to on that node.

• Samsung = seagate now.

My choice would definitely be seagate :-)