Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extremely weird network issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Extremely weird network issue

seriesnseriesn Member
edited September 2016 in Help

So I have two boxes,
Box Left and Box Right. Same exact network, same location, connected to same switch and router. Only difference? Box L have a bit newer CPU then box R. But for some reason, Box L have slower download then Box R.

Tried switching port, swapping Connection but for some reason, Box L won't download faster then Box R.

Both of them are running exact same setup (well fresh minimal centos 6 64bit), I am sitting here scratching my head for last 2 hour trying to figure out what could have went wrong.
Any help, any idea would help.

Comments

• same IP range?

• Yeap yeap. Same block. > @RyanD said:

same IP range?

• On box L it would be anywhere from 9-27MB/s anytime while box R does a solid 50+.

• Have you swap the network card?

• I have a feeling this might be the case. Just came home. Don't feel like going back again. Will check tomorrow.

@Jack said:
    If they're supermicro I'm pretty sure the mainboards are going to be different models V2 compared to V3?

Have you made sure the NIC firmware is up to date and/or trying eth1 on the V2 proc? I can't remember specifics but I recall an issue with X9 boards and eth0 could be that?

Yeap. They are fine.

@robohost said:
    Have you swap the network card?

• Did you tweak sysctl on both boxes? tcp_rmem and the like.

• Try changing the hard disk and verify if the issue is with the board. ;) Had a similar case with one of my Pi and was able to solve it by changing the exact same hard disk.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Paste your trace route on both server.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2016

+1 with @sdglhm can't it come from the hard drive ?

Can you run fdisk smartctl ?

• am thinking more of lan card / driver problem / duplex mismatch

• you can also try different OS like Ubuntu for a change / quick test

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Have you check ethtool output?

• Faulty board is the main culprit. Just swapped out and all is well.

As I mentioned nic and drives were fine.

Thank you @jack for pointing out the right response and thanks everyone for your kind help :)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser