Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSailor Threatens to Sue KrebsOnSecurity for reporting on abuse on HostSailor's Network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSailor Threatens to Sue KrebsOnSecurity for reporting on abuse on HostSailor's Network

KobeKobe Member
edited September 2016 in Providers

I thought this was a bit of an amusing story.

Earlier this month, KrebsOnSecurity published The Reincarnation of a Bulletproof Hoster, which examined evidence suggesting that a Web hosting company called HostSailor was created out of the ashes of another, now-defunct hosting firm notorious for harboring spammers, scammers and other online ne’er-do-wells. Today, HostSailor’s lawyers threatened to sue this author unless the story is removed from the Web.

KrebsonSecurity (aka Brian Krebs) wrote about HostSailor's abusive and malicious nature to some extent earlier this month, as referenced by this LET thread.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

Nothing against the writer but his conclusion didn't stand up to my personal requirements to draw such a conclusion. I fight fraud every day and I'm not convinced yet. If he's wrong, they should consider pursuing such action.

• UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited September 2016

I have the "CTO of HostSailor" in my Skype contacts, let's see what he thinks :P

EDIT: He told me some stuff, but he doesn't want me to share it on LET so I will respect his wishes.

• Krebs sells book. Shows his motives.

• @doughmanes said:
    Krebs sells book. Shows his motives.

¯͡( ͡°; ͜ʖ ͡;°)

• I've worked for some names in the grey area like Santrex. I'm not 100% convinced but Krebs likes the free traffic

Thanked by 2GCat netomx
  • @Kobe said:

Earlier this month, KrebsOnSecurity published The Reincarnation of a Bulletproof Hoster, which examined evidence suggesting that a Web hosting company called HostSailor was created out of the ashes of another, now-defunct hosting firm notorious for harboring spammers, scammers and other online ne’er-do-wells. Today, HostSailor’s lawyers threatened to sue this author unless the story is removed from the Web.

KrebsonSecurity (aka Brian Krebs) wrote about HostSailor's abusive and malicious nature to some extent earlier this month, as referenced by this LET thread.

TL;DR: Krebs got caught in bullshit and hostsailor is about to spank him so he's complaining and whining like a little twat

Thanked by 2netomx PrColo
  • Whats next, trees suing trees for being to close to that one tree.

• @GCat said:

@Kobe said:

TL;DR: Krebs got caught in bullshit and hostsailor is about to spank him so he's complaining and whining like a little twat

Serves the twat right, I'd say. Should serve as a lesson to the so called irresponsible "investigative journalists" who post articles without doing any due diligence at their end.

Thanked by 3GCat thatix k0nsl
  • @K4Y5 said:

@GCat said:

@Kobe said:

Serves the twat right, I'd say. Should serve as a lesson to the so called irresponsible "investigative journalists" who post articles without doing any due diligence at their end.

He always sounds so full of himself in his posts now it's goin to haunt him

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • @Landofnone said:
    Whats next, trees suing trees for being to close to that one tree.

That has been going on for a while in the land of frees.

On another note, can that lawsuit even take place since they are in two different country? To me it all feels like typical highschoolers threatening each other.

Complementary note : I am not a lawyer, please enlighten me.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@seriesn said:

@Landofnone said:
    Whats next, trees suing trees for being to close to that one tree.

That has been going on for a while in the land of frees.

On another note, can that lawsuit even take place since they are in two different country? To me it all feels like typical highschoolers threatening each other.

Nahh, Complimentary bagel or GTFO. Also, I posted this in Cest at 11ish O_o

• pbgben said: Nahh, Complimentary bagel or GTFO. Also, I posted this in Cest at 11ish O_o

11ish in what timezone?-.-

• seriesn said: That has been going on for a while in the land of frees.

To my knowledge. To be able to sue someone that person who suing need to be in the state and city of that person who their suing.

• @Landofnone said:

seriesn said: That has been going on for a while in the land of frees.

To my knowledge. To be able to sue someone that person who suing need to be in the state and city of that person who their suing.

Wow, no. Just wrong.

• @Landofnone said:

seriesn said: That has been going on for a while in the land of frees.

That might not have to be the case in many situation as long as within the same country. But lets say suing someone from china from usa should not be as easy as it sounds. I mean, implementing legal pressure from one country to another should not be as easy as it sounds.

Then again I could be wrong.

• @jarland said:
    Nothing against the writer but his conclusion didn't stand up to my personal requirements to draw such a conclusion. I fight fraud every day and I'm not convinced yet. If he's wrong, they should consider pursuing such action.

Assuming you're correct, there's nothing illegal about being wrong. Defamation law isn't that simple.

@iwaswrongonce said:

@jarland said:

Assuming you're correct, there's nothing illegal about being wrong. Defamation law isn't that simple.

I think this covers it fairly well: http://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/defamation-law-the-basics.html

• So we take on hostsailor side ?

• @tommy said:
    So we take on hostsailor side ?

I honestly think a lawsuit is a bit of a stretch. Debatable on whether if HostSailor was actually complicit with malicious activity

• lbftlbft Member
    edited September 2016

It's hilarious to me how eager LET is to take the side of a shithost over a respected journalist.

Edit: er, sorry lawyers, alleged shithost.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited September 2016

@lbft said:
    It's hilarious to me how eager LET is to take the side of a shithost over a respected journalist.

Sorry, but the Krebs article lacked actual facts. I won't just assume someone is guilty because someone "credible" says so.

And his last article is a fucking joke.

I sent that tweet after hearing from a source with whom I’ve been working to report sites affiliated with the jihadist militant group ISIS. The source had reported to HostSailor several of its Internet addresses that were being used by a propaganda site promoting videos of beheadings and other atrocities by ISIS, and he shared emails indicating that HostSailor had simply forwarded his abuse email on to its customer — complete with my source’s name and contact information. Thankfully, he was using a pseudonym and throwaway email address.

Here the master of security describes something that a lot of other hosts do aswell: Forwarding abuse-mail.

If online.net hosts an ISIS site, they will just forward the abuse-mail aswell, if leaseweb does so, they will do the same.

He has no point, it's a standard procedure for many hosts.

Edit: Oh, btw, who else just forwards abuse? Right, CloudFlare. ISIS primarily uses CloudFlare so I guess Krebs should write an article on CloudFlare?

edited September 2016

@tr1cky said:

@lbft said:

Sorry, but the Krebs article lacked actual facts. I won't just assume someone is guilty because someone "credible" says so.

And his last article is a fucking joke.

I sent that tweet after hearing from a source with whom I’ve been working to report sites affiliated with the jihadist militant group ISIS. The source had reported to HostSailor several of its Internet addresses that were being used by a propaganda site promoting videos of beheadings and other atrocities by ISIS, and he shared emails indicating that HostSailor had simply forwarded his abuse email on to its customer — complete with my source’s name and contact information. Thankfully, he was using a pseudonym and throwaway email address.

Here the master of security describes something that a lot of other hosts do aswell: Forwarding abuse-mail.

If online.net hosts an ISIS site, they will just forward the abuse-mail aswell, if leaseweb does so, they will do the same.

He has no point, it's a standard procedure for many hosts.

Edit: Oh, btw, who else just forwards abuse? Right, CloudFlare. ISIS primarily uses CloudFlare so I guess Krebs should write an article on CloudFlare?

You're not wrong. I like Krebs, he's a respected name in the field and on a more personal level he's one of the few influential people to speak up against our old friend Curtis over in Canada. But the evidence he provided was simply not enough to convince me of his conclusion.

Add on to that, a lot of hosts have ISIS websites. It can be very hard to proactively identify them. At the same time, as you said, ISIS has not changed anyone's procedure for handling abuse reports to my knowledge. There's always abuse, always has been and always will be. ISIS may be one that gets people shaking their fists but it's not something new to abuse teams, it's just another name for the same old things they deal with every day.

While I may like this "journalist" (doesn't quite fit how I see that word), I stand by our respected LET members and I don't turn on them with such little evidence.

Thanked by 2tr1cky netomx
  • If HostSailor wins, does that mean KrebsOnSecurity will be renamed...KebabOnSecurity? :/

• @k0nsl said:
    If HostSailor wins, does that mean KrebsOnSecurity will be renamed...KebabOnSecurity? :/

I am sure you can do better when trying to be funny.

• I'm glad you've got faith in me, @Amitz.

@Amitz said:

@k0nsl said:
    If HostSailor wins, does that mean KrebsOnSecurity will be renamed...KebabOnSecurity? :/

I am sure you can do better when trying to be funny.

Thanked by 2netomx switsys
  • Kobe said: I honestly think a lawsuit is a bit of a stretch. Debatable on whether if HostSailor was actually complicit with malicious activity

yup, but still no proof from both side. but I still don't trust both of them for this matter.

• @k0nsl said:

That was hilarious, I showed a colleague, and he laughed his ass off at that.

Thanked by 2k0nsl netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

@k0nsl said:
    I'm glad you've got faith in me, @Amitz.

Of course I have! I have even seen you funnier before, so I know you can.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @jarland said:

@iwaswrongonce said:

@jarland said:

I think this covers it fairly well: http://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/defamation-law-the-basics.html

Not really. The only example of privilege they gave is testifying at a trial. IANAL, but typically statements are protected if there is a reasonable belief in accuracy. That article doesn't go into what speech is protected. Of course, this isn't strictly codified and hence what the courts are for, so he may still end up being sued, an expensive endeavor even if he is vindicated (and also why in the US legal threats are so effective).

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    IANAL

Is that a new Apple product?