Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WireGuard VPN & China
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WireGuard VPN & China

Any Chinese users on LET know if WireGuard is capable of hopping the Great Firewall of China?

Comments

• China is so 2011, can it do IRAN is the question.

No, no idea for either :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • lootloot Member

Dude there isn't a god damn wall.

They just have a very comprehensive case by case review of acceptable sites to access overseas in order to maintain party unity.

Also, SSaaS is a thing.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2016

loot said: They just have a very comprehensive case by case review of acceptable sites to access overseas in order to maintain party unity.

You know they block IPs directly and not HTTP traffic, right? And blanket ban protocols for VPN/SSL especially in the less stable provinces?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @loot said:

They just have a very comprehensive case by case review of acceptable sites to access overseas in order to maintain party unity.

Also, SSaaS is a thing.

There absolutely is a firewall. Don't be silly.

• What you need to ask is how can we improve China's Great Firewall :D

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@loot said:

Also, SSaaS is a thing.

Trolling?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

A bit off-topic here, but it always amazes me how people (network admins and such) always have poor expectations of Chinese networking products, especially in their network security (firewall) products. And yet, China operates the largest and possibly most advanced firewall in existence, operating 24/7, country wide, 'protecting' over 700 million users.

Why are Chinese companies not leading the way in internet security/firewall products?

• busbrbusbr Member
    edited August 2016

@randvegeta said:
    Why are Chinese companies not leading the way in internet security/firewall products?

Last time I checked the government utilises Cisco devices.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

busbr said: Last time I checked the government utilises Cisco devices.

Sure? Thought they were using Huawei.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @randvegeta said:

busbr said: Last time I checked the government utilises Cisco devices.

Sure? Thought they were using Huawei.

Or, both? I've found articles saying they are all supplies.

• randvegeta said: Why are Chinese companies not leading the way in internet security/firewall products?

Nobody trusts them too much. ZTE/Huawei have a market in mobile base stations and backhaul (taken from Alcatel and Nokia, Nokia-Siemens and Siemens) but not much in switches/routers. They are VERY cheap though, in any hardware. Never had anything to test outside of a L3 switch but that worked well.

The NSA scandal(s) changed that a bit but actually shifted more to the (rare) EU manufacturers (look into a FTTH cab and you'll likely find some sort of Alcatel-Lucent device in it) and more reliable asians (Japanese chips, Taiwan).

• lootloot Member
    edited August 2016

@Nekki said:

@loot said:

Also, SSaaS is a thing.

Trolling?

No just stating the official line. The more accurate term is really that there isn't a wall for EVERYBODY.

@William said:

loot said: They just have a very comprehensive case by case review of acceptable sites to access overseas in order to maintain party unity.

You know they block IPs directly and not HTTP traffic, right? And blanket ban protocols for VPN/SSL especially in the less stable provinces?

What less stable provinces? If they are stable enough to be provinces they wouldn't be autonomous regions, right?

My building is like 75% Japanese for some reason and my parents are American even though I'm not, so we don't get the wall but it doesn't matter since in China I just watch baseball at odd hours and boost my immune system by eating street food. Why would anyone go online in China when you can get a plate of offal at 3Am for 50 cents before the police raid.

I wish I was trolling, but I'm not taking a 60 dollar uber ride to Queens for Chinese food.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2016

loot said: What less stable provinces?

As if there are any differences. Tibet, Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia are not really what you would call stable, Xinjiang at times seems to be more Pakistan than China.

The autonomous tags are used wrong either way, they are not autonomous in any way, probably even less than the western regions.