Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

better VPS for my needs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

better VPS for my needs

ledzgioledzgio Member
edited December 2012 in Help

I have to get a VPS server for my small company (we are 3) in order to install some services like SVN server, redmine, owncloud, ftp server, apache2 with our company's website and a mailserver. My budget is 25USD/mo. I have looked at various solution and now I am very undecided between rocketvps, buyvm and ramnode. What I need is to have good performances (especially with my php dynamic website) and a good price.

Any suggestion?

thanks

Comments

• You can try SupremeBytes http://www.supremebytes.com/virtual-private-servers.php

The ovz-2048 is right under your budget.

• Yeah if you got 25 a month you can really get a great vps.

5 vCPU
    5 GB Memory
    125 GB Space
    2500 GB bandwidth
    1 IP

$25.95 a month
    https://billing.24khost.com/cart.php?gid=16

• I suggest you to start off with our "Standard" plan, you can then up or downscale when you want. You can scale up and down without loss of money (hourly billing). Performance wise, we have all our VPS's on a 1 Gigabit uplink.

Please check out http://www.solarvm.com, and if you have any questions you can always contact me via the ticket system, or just post on the thread.

If you need anything else, you may always ask and we will be glad to offer it to you.

Regards,
    SolarVM

• Any location preference?

• You can get a kickass KVM vps from RamNode for 25$ i bet

• So where are you located? $25 should be enough to be able to choose from many quality VPS offers. And this gives you the ability to choose a VPS near you (network / latency wise).

• If you're happy with LEBs, I'd suggest you get 2 nodes - keep your internal stuff ie SVN/redmine/mail on one, so its private. Have another VPS for your web/anything else public - if your web server ever gets hacked/ddos/slashdotted etc you know the important stuff is safe.

• @ledzgio said: I am very undecided between rocketvps, buyvm and ramnode.

Flip a coin and take your pick with these, you will be fine

To the rest, the OP listed his 3 to chose between, why did everyone else turn it into an invitation to self promote?

• He asked for suggestions. My suggestion is me! :P

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@ledzgio said: I have looked at various solution and now I am very undecided between rocketvps, buyvm and ramnode.

I don't have experience with rocketvps, but you'll get great service from buyvm or ramnode. I have VMs with both.

• Any location? i have

Openvz
    Chicago
    Los Angeles

Xen
    Chicago
    Los Angeles
    Dallas
    Amsterdam

• I agree with @tehdan, consider separating your private and public stuff onto different VMs. I can say from experience RamNode's VMs are very fast and quite stable.

• You can give us a try. http://bluevm.com

• I'd also consider FrontRangeHosting's KVM that are excellent bang for buck.

• This is why wht disables self promo. Open clearly knows what and from who wants and still you guys a re shamelessly promoting your self or asking stupid wht styled question.

Read post before replying.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited December 2012

@ledzgio said: rocketvps, buyvm and ramnode

@Ishaq said: You can give us a try. http://bluevm.com

@bobby said: FrontRangeHosting's KVM

OP said either rocketvps, buyvm and ramnode.

On-topic: BuyVM master race. I would highly recommend BuyVM.

• Nice offer there @24khost!

That's a lot of stuff running on one VPS @ledzgio. Lots of eggs in one basket. Personally, I break some of these things out just so an outage doesn't take everything out. Namely, email and your company website.

I'd stick to a company that is going to give you dedicated resources and not slap you in a fair use CPU pool that is heavily abused already. Disk IOPs should be discovered and see what sort of IOPs and priority you will be given with the provider.

Other than that, decide on location you want (i.e. close to you and low latency or close to customers and low latency).

Would get into a bigger, but realistic plan with all these different things running. 2GB of RAM minimum, although certainly can tweak to take less, it's always advised to have headroom in case.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks for checking us out. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

• From my experience I can say:

• hostigation.com
    • buyvm.net
    • ramhost
    • prometeus

Since you will need a good chunk of hd space try hostigation on their openvz plans

• @pubcrawler Dedicated CPU core for 25$? Best of luck sir

• @ledzgio said: rocketvps, buyvm and ramnode.

RocketVPS - haven't heard of them.
    BuyVM - their company motto is "Stock available: soon"
    RamNode - has stock all the time

I would go with a company that has stock all the time.

• RocketVps is owned by known host. One of the biggest vps provider

• @Ledzgio

BuyVM - Personally I think they're over-hyped, good services however.
    RamNode - I'm biased, I know the specs, I know how hard @Nick_A works on them; I know how much load we have on them, I'd say it was a really sweet deal considering all of the providers I've been with in the past.

RocketVPS isnt a one I've heard of?

Remember, RamNode will give you a full refund if you find that in 48 hours, it's not what you wanted. Throw us a sales query at: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=3

Cheers,
    -Chris.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bamn said: BuyVM - their company motto is "Stock available: soon"

The only times we don't carry stock these days is weekends and nights and that's just to save everyones sanity. We used to lave stock at all times but during the few hours of coverage we don't have (Anthony goes to bed early, Aldryic gets up late, etc), people would have a hissy fit.

@eastonch said: RamNode - I'm biased,

Which makes your 'over hyped' comment pointless :) Many people said that years ago yet we still keep placing high in the ranks, continue to sell hard and continue to put forward ideas people copy.

As for RocketVPS, it's the 'budget' offering from knownhost. Good service from what I've heard but it always makes me think they'll try to up sell.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: continue to put forward ideas people copy.

Selling a VPS for $15/year isn't necessarily inventing the wheel.

I hate to knock you off the high horse (pun intended)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bamn said: Selling a VPS for $15/year isn't necessarily inventing the wheel.

I hate to knock you off the high horse (pun intended)

Right, I forgot the rest of the market was doing SSD caches before us. Same with shared SQL, hosted DNS, IPV6 RDNS, affordable DDOS filtering, free backup space, and i'm sure many others I can't think up this very second. Oh, then the $15/y :)

Francisco

• @Francisco

Hehe, was never putting you guys down, you provide an amazing, flawless service, though the hype is a little cliche.

Things i've heard about you guys with DDoS Filtering, AWKNET stuffz; DC migrations; and how you and aldyric were frequent visitors on LET... It's great. Just Hype is Hype! :)

• Free FTP backup, hetzner doing it for a long time. Hosted DNS? My hosting and linode doing it.

• @Taz said: Free FTP backup, hetzner doing it for a long time. Hosted DNS? My hosting and linode doing it.

Let Francisco put the pride cart before the horse.. crap another horse pun

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Even if some things were not invented by BuyVM they did give it cheaper.
    And they do invent some.
    Other than that, hype used to be much stronger in the past, now I think it is a correct amount.