Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenITC KVM VPS in Maidenhead, UK now with full IPv6 support!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenITC KVM VPS in Maidenhead, UK now with full IPv6 support!

seansean Member
edited December 2012 in Offers

Our custom control panel now fully supports Linux KVM! Our panel features include (but are not limited to):

• Install your own OS via the recovery console. (VNC or Spice with TLS)
  • Virtual CD/DVD mounted from any HTTP server. Install any .iso you want!
  • Set disk driver (virtio, ide, scsi) and network models (virtio, e1000, rtl8139, pcnet, ne2k_pci, i82559er, i82557b, i82551). Supports a wider range of OS.
  • The usual full support for IPv4 with instant rDNS.
  • Full IPv6 support, no rDNS yet.
  • Cgroups are fully implemented allowing us to control CPU and Disk I/O.

Some screenshots:

My Virtual Servers - Home
(Re)installation system from ISO
Advanced KVM settings
Recovery console
IP usage table
IP usage graphs

Right now we have our KVM nodes online at RapidSwitch, Maidenhead, UK (test ping 149.255.96.39, 2a03:ca80:8000::1). These will also be available in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK shortly.

Without futher ado, I present the following offers:

Common specifications:

CPU cores: 4 (Competely Fair Scheduler, throttled at 90% for safety)
Disk throughput cap: 180MB/s (Competely Fair Scheduler)
Disk IOPS cap: 540 (Competely Fair Scheduler)
Disk type: Hardware RAID10 with battery backed cache
Premium quality network: we have a 100% SLA with our upstream - no really!
Off-site FTP space for backups

The LowEndBox/talk exclusive deal:

RAM: 256MB
Disk: 18.75GB
FTP Off-site backup space: 9.375GB
Transfer: 250GB monthly data transfer
IPv4: 1 (more available)
IPv6: 2x /64 (It's finally LIVE!)
Ping test: 149.255.96.39 2a03:ca80:8000::1
£15 GBP per 12 months (SPECIAL OFFER)
Order URL: https://clients.openitc.co.uk/order/product/387

Comments

• AndriAndri Member
    edited December 2012

OpenITC is a good provider with helpful support.
    Goodluck with the offer, @sean.

• Thanks for the kind words Andri :)

• edited December 2012

Looks very nice, would you mind me reinstalling various of different OSes to try them out?

And does the bandwidth of mounting ISO from HTTP metered?

13.7 - Adding additional swap space that has not been allocated by us will result in immediate suspension of your service.

Does this mean I can't mount a swap on the HDD myself?

• Picked up a KVM from OpenITC last week - performance is very good and Sean is a good guy to deal with.

• Are you the one who own xenvz?

• Awesome deal @sean
    The last VM I had with @sean ran my nagios stable for so many months. The only reason I moved out was that it ran out of disk and I outgrew that LEB

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: Are you the one who own xenvz?

The very same. OpenITC is the parent operator of XenVZ

• Ah.. Thank you Asim :)

• @Andri said: OpenITC is a good provider with helpful support.

this.

I have an XenVZ vps and it works flawless; the few problems I got where resolved in easily.

• Just ordered one. I already have a XenVZ 256 and is really stable. OpenITC is one of the best provider in Europe

• seansean Member
    edited December 2012

@Asim said: The only reason I moved out was that it ran out of disk and I outgrew that LEB

We can always do larger VPS of course at the same rate as this deal. Just twice the price for twice the spec etc.

• seansean Member
    edited December 2012

@marrco said: Just ordered one. I already have a XenVZ 256 and is really stable. OpenITC is one of the best provider in Europe

You're too kind :)

• Among stablest VPS hosts I ever had (hosted with XenVZ since 2008) with imho. best custom VPS management control panel in LEB hosting industry.
    Highly recommended to anyone who's looking for long term service consistency and now with IPv6 availability (finally Sean! :p ) just perfect!

• i wish the bandwidth was more on this package

• My only fear with this offer is that it's lot's cheaper than previous one. And you get a lot more resources. I hope OpenITC won't tolerate any kind of abuse on their network. I always prefer stability over resources, and i prefer to pay more not to share a node with torrenters/game servers and other trouble magnets.

At the moment it looks like you're allowed to install ANY iso on your container. Don't know if that's really a good idea, since OpenITC already had a few subnets blacklisted because of spam activity.

• Hello,

That subnet was actually blacklisted by Hotmail because of a single /32, and without any prior warning by Hotmail. Of course we do not tolerate any abuse and generally get very little in the first instance because of our overly zealous fraud screening process (we reject a LOT of orders...). We also keep historical graphs of cpu load, disk io, disk throughput and of course traffic as you know. If a customers VPS is of detriment we work with them to determine the cause and hopefully provide a solution (i.e. moving them to a dedicated server if they've outgrown a VPS).

• P.s. On price it's cheaper simple because of the constantly falling price of hardware. Older packages remain at older rates simple because they cost a lot more for us to run. Existing customers are free to switch to any of our newer packages on more efficient nodes. We eventually deprecate our old nodes and rent them out as dedicated servers as you can see us doing a lot more of recently :)

• Thx Sean, to avoid such problem again, that because of a single spammer many other customers suffer, are you going to rate limit outbound connections to port 25 at node level (ie. max 100 per hour, if necessary customer can ask for more) or implement similar measures?

as i said before i consider OpenITC one of the best host in Europe (the other being Prometeus) and i'm confident this cheap KVM offer won't disappoint me. But i'll renew my XenVZ too, i trust that vps for my more important services.

• seansean Member
    edited December 2012

@marrco said: are you going to rate limit outbound connections to port 25 at node level (ie. max 100 per hour, if necessary customer can ask for more) or implement similar measures?

We have considered solutions like this yes, however that only works in the case of VPS. We'd need a network-side solution for dedi/colo which may not be worth the overhead. For now, we just do as most hosts and respond to complaints in a timely manner.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

@marrco said: to avoid such problem again, that because of a single spammer many other customers suffer, are you going to rate limit outbound connections to port 25 at node level

I hope not. Not because one single guy try through public forum enforce own agenda. And no, I don't use this host for mail serv it's just annoying to see how you're trying to enforce some host policy (or to be more exact VPS technical limitation) because you PERSONALLY find it better than way.

@marrco said: My only fear with this offer is that it's lot's cheaper than previous one.

My cheaperst XenVZ box, ordered almost two years ago cost me £6.00 per 6 months and it's still impressive. Before that (in 2009 to be exact) my cheapest XenVZ package costed me £11.94 per 6 months. And so far (over all those years) I experienced nothing but great service from this host.
    It would be the best from your point of view that now when you got cheap/great VPS they remove this offer, isn't it? Imho. your fears are selfish.

I don't share any your concerns simply because after being more than 4 years client of this host I have no reason to believe that another great offer from them will suddenly affect rest of us. Sean know what he's doing so just enjoy in your great vps and we will too :)

• @Spirit it's more annoying to have a good host not working because liberal policies don't mix well with abusers. One of my VPS with them (also used as a backup mta) is on blacklisted ip space for 2 months now. So definitely a good host (i voted for them more than once on best-host contest here on let) but because of being unable to isolate abusers i had to move services away from that server. So my point is, how to be un-appealing to abusers without creating really harm to honest users? I see nothing wrong setting a limit (ie. 100 mail/hour) and lifting that only if a user has a documented need.

• Users do have documented needs however you're forgetting that people get hacked and so on which is what happened in this case. Sadly, there isn't much we can do about Hotmail deciding to blacklist an entire /24 - we keep fobbed off with the likes of "we're investigating thanks for your patience" many months later.

• Thanks @sean for the awesome offer

I now have two and would like the second one to be on a different IPv4 subnet, possible?

• @Asim said: I now have two and would like the second one to be on a different IPv4 subnet, possible?

It should be possible soon either through putting you in Newcastle (I've not got a KVM node up there yet.. been waiting for the DC move first) or when we get a 2nd machine up in Maidenhead.

As you may know RapidSwitch restrict us to one subnet per VLAN and one VLAN per physical port so it's not possible on the same server.

• @sean
    i already have 256MB Xen VPS with you.
    How is the performance of your new KVM VPS compared with my old Xen VPS?

• @kampung said: How is the performance of your new KVM VPS compared with my old Xen VPS?

Hello,

Hard to say without knowing which node you are on. Feel free to send us a private message with your account number + security phrase so we can investigate.

Tech wise Xen PV will be faster.

• @sean
    send you my account number and IP.

• @sean any ETA on new node? (else I will provision the VPS now)

• @sean Do you have news about the 'Newcastle' location?

• Hey all,

Unfortunately no ETA on Low End KVM offers in Newcastle. When they are ready they'll likely be not as competitive anyway.