Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS vs. Cloud Server vs. Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS vs. Cloud Server vs. Dedicated Server

MivoCloudMivoCloud Member, Host Rep
 Hello LET,

Wich model are you using and why did you choose it?
 - advantages
 - disadvantages
 - for what services you use it?
 - it will be great if you can share the specs, price and location.
 - is the price the most important factor for your decision?
 - what is the most important feature for you?
 - would you pay more for a recomended provider or less for an unknown provider?

Comments

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

I dont use dedicated as I dont want to worry about hardware issues. I prefer Vps/Cloud servers with ssd(or ssd cached) and fare share cpu. I prefer a known stable provider, but generally order when they release special offers for let/leb!.

• MivoCloudMivoCloud Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

@niceboy said:
    I dont use dedicated as I dont want to worry about hardware issues. I prefer Vps/Cloud servers with ssd(or ssd cached) and fare share cpu. I prefer a known stable provider, but generally order when they release special offers for let/leb!.

Thank you, nice opinion. In any case the customer does not support the expenses for hardware issues neither with dedicated server nor with Vps/Cloud. If you mean the downtime I agree.

• Waiting for your offers.

Thanked by 2Nekki lazyt
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

TheOnlyDK said: Waiting for your offers.

You can already check out all those premium links in his sig, after all it's not like this thread has any other purpose than to flash those in front of people.

• niceboyniceboy Veteran

@MivoCloud said:

@niceboy said:

Thank you, nice opinion. In any case the customer does not support the expenses for hardware issues neither with dedicated server nor with Vps/Cloud. If you mean the downtime I agree.

It's not about hardware issue expenses. But, I really don't want to waste my time on fsck or something similar involving diagnosing hardware issues.

Thanked by 1MivoCloud
  • cloud is merely a marketing word nothing else.

@TarZZ92 said:
    cloud is merely a marketing word nothing else.

Well, I agree the majority use it in marketing purpose but there still are real Cloud Providers. It is the customers job to make the difference.

• elgselgs Member

What are the differences between VPS and cloud server?

edited June 2016

@elgs said:

It's a too complex (wide, broad) question to make a detailed answer here, but shortly a cloud has more complex virtualization environment and a cloud server has two main advantages: scalability and pricing model.

• rgenzonrgenzon Member
    edited June 2016

MivoCloud said: Wich model are you using and why did you choose it?

- advantages
    - disadvantages
    - for what services you use it?
    - it will be great if you can share the specs, price and location.
    - is the price the most important factor for your decision?
    - what is the most important feature for you?
    - would you pay more for a recomended provider or less for an unknown provider?

I'm using VPS. I love the simplicity and how easy it is to manage it wherever you are. Price is $2.99 from SecureDragon (great service, never had any problems at all). Chose LA for location. Price was definitely a factor but I wanted something that just works and SecureDragon had been a great service provider for me. I never had to open a ticket for anything because everything that I need is already on the control panel, plus it doesn't hurt that they offer free DDoS protection (I have it in LA).

To be honest I'm not even looking to move my VPS at all, because why fix something that's not broken? :P

• RizRiz Member

@MivoCloud said:

@elgs said:

It's a too complex question to make a detailed answer here, but shortly a cloud has more complex virtualization environment and a cloud server has two main advantages: scalability and pricing model.

Too complex? Your whole company model is built around 'cloud' offerings. Please explain what is hosting your 'cloud' machines and your setup that makes it 'cloud'.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@Riz said:

@MivoCloud said:

@elgs said:

It's a too complex question to make a detailed answer here, but shortly a cloud has more complex virtualization environment and a cloud server has two main advantages: scalability and pricing model.

Too complex? Your whole company model is built around 'cloud' offerings. Please explain what is hosting your 'cloud' machines and your setup that makes it 'cloud'.

He means his setup is too complex to fix if anything breaks, because it's too complex to find out what broke.

Thanked by 2Nyr Riz

@Riz said:

@MivoCloud said:

@elgs said:

This is not a discussion about our services. Please see our website for more information about our services. Thank you.

@tr1cky said:

@Riz said:

@MivoCloud said:

@elgs said:

He means his setup is too complex to fix if anything breaks, because it's too complex to find out what broke.

I'm sorry you distort the meaning of a simple sentence.

• RizRiz Member

@MivoCloud said:

@Riz said:

@MivoCloud said:

@elgs said:

This is not a discussion about our services. Please see our website for more information about our services. Thank you.

I understand, but you seem to offer something that you have no way of explaining to us. When asked what the difference is between a 'vps and cloud server' you shun the question with 'too complex', now when asked about your service you point to the site where there is no explanation of this.

Sounds like you don't even know what you're selling!

• lazytlazyt Member

On a site dedicated to techies you say too complex?

Bad start there kiddo.

@lazyt said:

Bad start there kiddo.

I meant I can not post here a long read article about the differences between a VPS and a Cloud Server. Hope it's clear now.

edited June 2016

@Riz said:

@MivoCloud said:

@Riz said:

@MivoCloud said:

@elgs said:

I understand, but you seem to offer something that you have no way of explaining to us. When asked what the difference is between a 'vps and cloud server' you shun the question with 'too complex', now when asked about your service you point to the site where there is no explanation of this.

Sounds like you don't even know what you're selling!

1) Yes, there is. 2) Of course we know.

• @MivoCloud said:

@lazyt said:

Bad start there kiddo.

I meant I can not post here a long read article about the differences between a VPS and a Cloud Server. Hope it's clear now.

No need for long article, just your meaning of cloud