Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 VPS with IPv4 Access - Need Testers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 VPS with IPv4 Access - Need Testers

rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
edited December 2012 in General

Hello LET'ers,

We have been pretty much playing around and testing an IPv6 VPS with access to IPv4.

I am looking for 5 people to test this out and give me feedback; in return they can have the VPS for 3months, and then pay if they want to keep using (low fees, due to no dedicated ipv4 assigned to VPS).

NOTE: This is not an offer, this is just to get some feedback on something we plan to introduce.

Basically, from the VPS, you will be able to contact the ipv4 world, do whatever you require etc (using NAT), and have ipv6 access too.

You can access the VPS using ipv4, to SSH into using a special set of IP/Port number.

The VPS's can be used for whatever you please (nothing illegal), and will be of the following specs

256MB RAM Guaranteed

25GB HD
250GB BW @ 100mb/s
1 ipv6
free for 3 months, (then less than or equal to $2/month)

If you are interested, please reply here, and I will PM you (please do not PM me) - and we can set it up manually - please do give me time, it will not be instant nor quick. Setup will vary, but can take 24 hours.

NOTE: This is not an offer, this is just to get some feedback on something we plan to introduce.

Regards,
R. Alkhaili

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hello !

This is interesting, how will you deal with IPv4 abuse ? Will you keep logs for all IPv4 accesses ?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@Maounique The thing is you wouldnt be sending outgoing ipv4, only ipv6.

For example, if you are hosting a webserver, people would be able to access it via your ipv6, not the shared ipv4.

If it makes sense? :P

Regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• Wouldn't it be possible to give all Vps on the Node the same IPv4 and then give each of them a limited port range?

like vps1: 88.888.888.888:1000-2000
    like vps2: 88.888.888.888:2000-3000
    like vps3: 88.888.888.888:3000-4000

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited December 2012

Sure, I'd like to try it out.

Have you thought about how another host did it for at least kind of sharing port 80? Run a nginx on port 80 on the "shared IPv4", then reverse proxy it to your IPv6 address.

edited December 2012

@kornnflake @justinb

The idea is to move to ipv6 :P

But yes, these vps's will come with an accessible ipv4 like 123.222.222.222 and use a port like 10222 to access the VPS's own Shell - only - this is because many people at home do not really use ipv6.

I hope its more clear now :P

Regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• I'm very interested in testing this VPS. I've never used much ipv6 before so this VPS will provide good practice in configuring for ipv6.

edited December 2012

@rsk said: If it makes sense? :P

Actually, while it does, was not an answer to my question. How will you answer police when they will ask which of your customers accessed some CP site from the shared IPv4 ? Will you keep logs, or no exit traffic will be allowed, only incoming so ppl can access their IPv6 only VPSes over SSH and that is all ?

• @rsk

I love ipv6, if I can I would like to try one of these :)
    Price looks good, might continue paying after the 3 months.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited December 2012

I'm interested in trying it.

@kornnflake said: Wouldn't it be possible to give all Vps on the Node the same IPv4 and then give each of them a limited port range?
    like vps1: 88.888.888.888:1000-2000

like vps2: 88.888.888.888:2000-3000
    like vps3: 88.888.888.888:3000-4000

Also I support this idea, to give a little ipv4 port range usable from the shared v4 (10, 100, 64 ports per vps).

• @rsk great initiative!

• Is this still available. Will want to try :)

• Looks nice, I want to have a try :)

edited December 2012

Hello LET'ers,

I will PM those who requested to trial the service; no requests below this line please :P

@Maounique said: Actually, while it does, was not an answer to my question. How will you answer police when they will ask which of your customers accessed some CP site from the shared IPv4 ? Will you keep logs, or no exit traffic will be allowed, only incoming so ppl can access their IPv6 only VPSes over SSH and that is all ?

@Maounique thanks for the heads-up. While we thought we'd be tracing it back using ipv6, it is no longer the case, since clients will also be connected to the ipv4 world. Nonetheless; if it is content on our VPS's the client will be terminated, if it is on another network, I hope the other network administers do their own job and remove such CP sites from their network. Time to think :P

regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• I'm guessing you're basically giving Public IPv6, and NAT-ing outbound to IPv4 from the VPSes (kinda like I would do with a Jailed container that still needed to be able to download ports/updates).

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited December 2012

may i try?

it's my first ipv6 only vps and i try to play with it

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@rsk said: @Maounique thanks for the heads-up. While we thought we'd be tracing it back using ipv6, it is no longer the case, since clients will also be connected to the ipv4 world. Nonetheless; if it is content on our VPS's the client will be terminated, if it is on another network, I hope the other network administers do their own job and remove such CP sites from their network. Time to think :P

regards,

R. Alkhaili

I think Maounique is referencing the tor exit node issue that william had. Essentially the content wouldn't "be" on your servers, but rather such content was 'accessed' and downloaded thru your services.

If all the VPSes share the same outbound IPv4 interface, it might prove difficult to determine which VPS at a given time access said content thru it, at the very least you might know which node/box did (since you would be using a different IPv4 between each machine).

Might be advisable to limit the number of VPSes going out on certain IPs, or possibly restrict to a certain identifiable source port.

Though I don't share Maounique's exact concern since it seems overblown, for example with the Tor exit situation, any number of unknown people could be exiting your box that you have absolutely no control over, in this particular situation, you have some control of who is a customer of your services.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

@arieonline said: may i try?

it's my first ipv6 only vps and i try to play with it

@rsk said: Hello LET'ers,

I will PM those who requested to trial the service; no requests below this line please :P

Reading helps.

All pm's have been sent. Thanks for your interest :)

regards,
    R. Alkhaili

@kbeezie said: I think Maounique is referencing the tor exit node issue that william had.

Not really, for example, a plain text web customer on ipv6 going out through ipv4 will access one of those sites with CP put up by the police to harvest IPs. They will come to the OP and say such and such IP accessed this content, which customer of yours did this ?
    And the OP will say any of the 10 that share that IP, well, will not be satisfactory, regardless if it is a tor exit node or not.

@kbeezie said: Though I don't share Maounique's exact concern since it seems overblown,

Any free give-away is a magnet for abuse, so you must be prepared for when it will happen.

True, true.

We will definitely think of a right way to do this when we release it publicly.

regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@Maounique said: Not really, for example, a plain text web customer on ipv6 going out through ipv4 will access one of those sites with CP put up by the police to harvest IPs. They will come to the OP and say such and such IP accessed this content, which customer of yours did this ?

And the OP will say any of the 10 that share that IP, well, will not be satisfactory, regardless if it is a tor exit node or not.

I wonder how http://vds6.net handles it since it's IPv6 only, but has IPv4 outbound access to the shells/jails. (for example if I connect out from my vds6 account it'll show 176.9.17.12 as the IP).

NAT @kbeezie .. I bet they are sharing that ipv4 between multiple containers.

regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• @rsk said: NAT @kbeezie .. I bet they are sharing that ipv4 between multiple containers.
    regards,

R. Alkhaili

Oh I know they are, I mean how are they handling the report of abuse, as in how do they know who is responsible for the abuse.

• Count me in i am interested

@kbeezie said: Oh I know they are, I mean how are they handling the report of abuse, as in how do they know who is responsible for the abuse.

That, tbh with you; I do not know how they implement it. But I have come up with some ideas :P

If we deem that they are useful, then maybe we can roll it out :)

@t0p3a said: Count me in i am interested

@t0p3a errr, sorry mate, all the slots are filled.

regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• Oh sorry i haven't seen that post

"I will PM those who requested to trial the service; no requests below this line please :P"

No problem mate.

Regards,
    R. Alkhaili

edited December 2012

@rsk said: If we deem that they are useful, then maybe we can roll it out :)

Please be sure to share, I am looking to offer something similar, for now can allow only whitelists (a nightmare), or unrestricted access and logging.
    None of those "solutions" is acceptable for either party, so maybe we can come up with something.
    I know ppl offering unix shells are routing the exit through Tor, so that is an acceptable option, but it might be slow.

Well then, let us think together :P