Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you renew an unused dedicated server/VPS just because it's so cheap?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you renew an unused dedicated server/VPS just because it's so cheap?

seraphkzseraphkz Member
edited December 2012 in General

So, it's time for my annual renewal of my dedicated server.
I used to have a use of it, but recently it has just been idling.
I want to keep it only because it's a once in a lifetime deal, what would you guys do?

Dual L5420
8GB RAM
500 GB HD
100mbit
For $40/month

Comments

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Think of it this way:

The money you pay for "saving money", could be used to buy a server at regular pricing later on, so technically it would be no loss later on.

• @RobertJFClarke said: The money you pay for "saving money", could be used to buy a server at regular pricing later on, so technically it would be no loss later on.

This.

• Not even that cheap, esp. since it's annual ._.

• @lele0108 said: Not even that cheap, esp. since it's annual ._.

You don't think it's that cheap? Hmmm. I mean, I can't think of another company offers anything at that price.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

No :)

• So is it 40/month or 480/year?

• you can make some vps from that server and rent it :)

so you can utilize your server and get revenue from it

• @rds100 said: So is it 40/month or 480/year?

$480 a year.

• @seraphkz said: $480 a year.

Then drop it. Not worth it paying $480 for something you don't know what to use for.

• Thanks for the advice guys. I'll drop it.

• Hmmm..where did you purchase that dedi from?

• @seraphkz said: I'll drop it.

If the provider allows transferring I'm sure you could throw it in an Offer here to let someone snatch it. Max dedi price went up to $45 according to the SilverKnight dedi post.

• Considering this is a older dual proc pulling ~ 2A 120V I'm surprised to hear you pay $40/month

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@seraphkz said: Dual L5420

8GB RAM
    500 GB HD
    100mbit
    For $40/month

Maybe transfer? Maybe I'm interested, where it is?

• I got this from a special deal from DediDirect. Negotiated with Vee last year and the server has been extremely stable. It's hosted in Chicago.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

Pricing & hardware is same as commercial media so not really exclusive, and there's often dedi promotions like this so if you don't need it cancel it ;)

• I just did with my KimSufi mKS and I keep a HVH box around because it's incredi-cheap (in HVH terms anyway).

• So, you're not sure if you should waste money on something you're not going to use? Really?

• @seraphkz said: I want to keep it only because it's a once in a lifetime deal, what would you guys do?

Dacentec has similar hardware but you can rent to own it. After a year, it's yours.

You're still leasing the hardware at the end of the day :)

• You know I have actually thought of the same thing, mine is a little less in terms of specs but its a celeron 2.4ghz, 1.5gig ram, 2x320gig hd, 10 tb of transfer on 100Mb line. I pay 34.00 a month for the server right now (well 29 for the server, 5 for extra hd). For the specs, its not really that useful any more so I am on the fence.

• @seraphkz said: I want to keep it only because it's a once in a lifetime deal

Once-in-a-lifetime deals usually come around every few months or so :)

• @Holoshed, I had a similar server with more RAM, and more hard drive space. I got rid of it a few months ago because I got tired of paying $40/month for it.

• @wdq said: I got tired of paying $40/month for it.

That I can understand. Heck I tried to work out something to make it worthwhile to keep the box, their offer was to up transfer from 4tb to 10tb. To me still not worth it for the specs vs price. More than likely will cancel before the end of this month. It is with iWeb, which in itself is a good company, just wish the server had a little better value.

• @seraphkz said: I want to keep it only because it's a once in a lifetime deal, what would you guys do?

I am doing it all the time :) Some deals are so good, so cheap, so stable... that I have them more than I will ever need. Sometimes I tell myself that this "hobby" is still cheaper than many others. Dumb, I know but still true :)

• I keep a LEB for development purposes as well as an emergency route when my main VPS goes down. As long as it is within my budget then it's fine for me.

• I've got a few VPS's I got super cheap from some providers... if you could justify the use... Then why not.

It would be a kick-ass "medium" community minecraft server if Bukkit ever got their Hyperthreading sorted. And just solely run off Donations, easially hit $40/week nevermind 40$/month.

• I have a few dedicated servers here and there that I would never get rid of.

My reasoning?

Excluding the OVH ones, my dedicated servers are pretty nice, usable, and provide me with a ton more power than I could probably use with a VPS. I feel really bad running minecraft or something else with high I/O usage on a VPS due to the fact that I personally would consider it I/O abuse. Because a ton of my dedicated servers aren't running too many I/O intensive software, I use that instead.

Talking about OVH/Kimsufi,
    This is where I put my I/O intensive programs that I don't care about the network really about (yeah sorry other guys who are on OVH!). Obviously I have it set so that it only uses like a small amount of the network at a time, but I just send it a command then forget about it and come back to it later. France actually has a great connection to where I live (East USA) and it does what I pay for it to do. Also VPS providers would yell at me about I/O usage. Basically, I run this machine to the ground and providers are happy I'm not I/O abusing.

My dedicated servers though? Having KVMoIP/IPMI/iLO access to a physical system imo gives me much better security and knowledge of where/what my data is doing. Yeah I know still this or that could happen, but that's also why I usually don't get a VPS with a certain provider/put anything important on that VPS unless I know the provider personally (and hell, I'd prefer to support providers I know).

In the end?

It all depends on your budget, what you want, and how you want to go about it. If you have a budget like mine, then a few dedis here and there with a combination of VPSes goes a long way.

• For 40$ a month I personally would have a use for a dual L5420 with 8GB of ram, but if it were something like when I was paying 25/month for a single core sempron with 1GB of ram... I'd probably let it go unless I was able to stick something like a TB of raid-ed storage in it (otherwise i'd hold it as a backup server), mainly because the cost of getting such service elsewhere would be more.

But if you're not using it... why spend into it?

• @kbeezie said: But if you're not using it... why spend into it?

Question of my life.

• On two occasions I have paid for servers annually and never actually found the time to use them. A waste of money maybe but what about all that money spent on gadgets/beer etc?