Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to connect an IP4 to IP6 with GRE?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to connect an IP4 to IP6 with GRE?

rchurchrchurch Member

I have unlimited IP6 IPs on the target server which the service provider can only provides one IP for. Is it possible to connect IP4 ips to the IPV6 ports on the target server?

Thanked by 1robohost

Comments

• There is - I can only remember one temporary fix I used...

I think it was the socat utility - it allowed me to forward ports from an IPv4 address to an IPv6 address' port.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @FlamesRunner said:
    There is - I can only remember one temporary fix I used...

I think it was the socat utility - it allowed me to forward ports from an IPv4 address to an IPv6 address' port.

Can socat be made to forward all ports transparently,or does it work only with preconfigured ports?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Or you can route an IP or block from elsewhere in the tunnel over v6

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @rchurch yes, you can forward ports transparently -- but it needs to be placed in a screen since it needs somewhere to spew out errors when the destination goes offline.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • I have noticed that a number of the tutorials use private addresses to create the tunnels., but if you are running servers at the server end do you configure the daemons to run on the private addresses or are they configured for the public addresses? eg
    Say the public side of a tunnel is 121.121.121.121, with the tunnel IP as 10.0.0.1 and the server end of the tunnel is 221.221.221.221 on 10.0.0.2 do the service have to be running on 221.221.221.221 or 10.0.0.2?