Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to create downloadable templates on Prometeus/iwstack?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to create downloadable templates on Prometeus/iwstack?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited April 2016 in Help

I have been having a hard time trying to create templates and snapshots on iwstack for some time. Whenever I create them and try to download them, it usually results in a message about the item not being extractable.
Apparently this seems to be related to the way the templates or images were created in the first place, and it may be due to some feature which is not settable in the user interface but only in the scripts.

It wasn't so difficult in the early days of iwstack but it seems to be the case now.

Does anyone know of some scripts and techniques that can work around the issue?

I am interested in some Cloudmonkey scripts if they can help with the issue but it is any area I have no knowledge of and would like some help and examples.

Comments

• For a Drive,

Create a snapshot, create a datadisk from the snapshot you should then be able to download that datadisk, it will let you download images of data-disks but not root volumes it seems.

not sure about templates though.

• @dragon2611 said:
    For a Drive,

Create a snapshot, create a datadisk from the snapshot you should then be able to download that datadisk, it will let you download images of data-disks but not root volumes it seems.

not sure about templates though.

I have been able to get a data disk to download. The problem is some of the ROOT volumes can be downloaded, and some cannot. The templates and the snapshots are the problem because I always get the error message about the volume not being extractable. What is the main determinant of worther a volume is extractable or not?

• I have no idea, I just know that I've had a root volume that wouldn't extract/download yet if I make a snapshot from it then Make an additional data disk from that snapshot I can then download that data disk

maybe @Maounique can shed some light on what determines if a disk is downloadable or not.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The "extractable" property of the volumes (including snapshots, templates) is inherited. If, when you register the ISO, you do not tick the extractable box, everything derived from it is not downloadable. You can, of course, boot clonezila, attach a same size drive or larger, dump the image there and extract that, however, since you already make an image, you can use that instead, by saving it on some remote storage, or even our ftp space, mounted with ftpfs.
    The easy way is to tick the box, but, if it is too late, no other choice. Besides, clonezilla images are much more compatible, the extractable qcow2 volumes may have various flags which are not correctly interpreted by some older deployments of kvm, you can, of course, truncate them, but a clonezilla image will restore on any block device.

Thanked by 1rchurch