Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RN vs BuyVM vs Kimsufi DDos Protection for Game-servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RN vs BuyVM vs Kimsufi DDos Protection for Game-servers

WInterntWInternt Member
edited April 2016 in Help

Hi all!

I'm looking for your opinion!

Kimsufi can't be compared to the other two, because it's a dedicated server vs VPS (RN & BuyVM). The thing is, which one have the best DDoS protection for game servers?

I see many people saying that Kimsufi protection is a sh... for game servers if you don't have the DDoS protection specific for game servers, because the default protection takes to much time to "kick in".

BuyVM DDoS protection looks good but from what I see they are using Voxility and my experience with another host using voxility was horrible...

Thanks

Comments

• For gameservers,kimisufi should be better.I have not used buyvm ddos protection though.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

What specific game is it for? The OVH Game servers (MC-XX) work very well for things like Minecraft, Teamspeak, CS, etc., I have many clients there that are on those and there's rarely ever any drops.

• WInterntWInternt Member
    edited April 2016

That servers are too expensive :(

CS:GO, Rust maybe Minecraft, TeamSpeak (voice server), etc.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Voxility isn't perfect, but to be fair there isn't any 'perfect' ddos protection out there. I've been busy over the past couple weeks rolling out some filters for what Voxility doesn't handle properly.

Francisco

Thanked by 1doghouch
    edited April 2016

Thank you for your words :) No protection is perfect and that applies to everything in the digital world :P

About Kimsufi, no one has some experience with their DDoS protection? Their prices/specs are amazing for game server hosting the only thing is if their DDoS protection isn't good :(

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@WInternt said:
    Thank you for your words :) No protection is perfect and that applies to everything in the digital world :P

About Kimsufi, no one has some experience with their DDoS protection? Their prices/specs are amazing for game server hosting the only thing is if their DDoS protection isn't good :(

It's quite easy to bypass any of OVH's protection. If you are using the more common amplification methods (DNS, NTP) then you'll be fine from outside DDOS attacks, but last I heard OVH still had a very serious "internal DDOS" issue where servers within the OVH network are blasting you instead.

Francisco

• @WInternt said:
    ...the only thing is if their DDoS protection isn't good :(

maybe because is the costly part ;)

• voxility Romania , nice protections !

edited April 2016

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

Thanks for the info Francisco.

OVH looks nice because of the specs, 16GB of RAM is more than enough to run multiple gameservers. Maybe the best option is to buy dedicated game servers from some host...

• @WInternt said:
    OVH looks nice because of the specs, 16GB of RAM is more than enough to run multiple gameservers. Maybe the best option is to buy dedicated game servers from some host...

G-Portals rootservers are great and meant for gameserver hosting :)

• @Francisco said:

Given the amount of abuse coming from their ranges, their protection could probably consist of just dropping traffic from their own IPs. DDoS protection done~

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • I have used them all. Kimsufi is not good for protecting game servers, the protection will kick in after seconds and within those seconds all your users are disconnected.

You need protection where the protection state is always on. In this case you would need a OVH Enterprise server or VPS, these support 'always on' mode.

So BuyVM would be your best option easily. I don't know about RamNode but I would never use them for protecting a game server. Contact me if you need more help finding a better solution, I have 3 big game servers in Europe and have years of experience when it comes to DDoS protection including Layer 7.

• Thank you for your feedback!

After looking more closely to this, I think the best option is to buy a dedicated gameserver from some of the big "gameserver" hosts, at least for now.
    The reason for this is that one of the gameservers I want to host is a Rust server and the minimum required RAM is 4GB.
    Buying a VPS from BuyVM or any other company will be too much more expensive when comparing to a dedicated gameserver. Besides that, OpenVZ isn't the best for gameserver hosting.