Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Understanding BGP graphs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Understanding BGP graphs

I am wondering what BGP graphs on HE show exactly?.
What is the relation between those ASNs.
Why the arrows not stopping at certain Tier 1 Providers.

Example
http://bgp.he.net/AS24608#_graph4

Comments

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

I think its showing the paths it can take to those ASN. The bold one is the most used one. Correct me if wrong :).

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Why should the graph stop at Tier 1 Providers? Most of the ASNs in the world use some Tier 1 as upstream, direct or indirect.

• DumbledoreDumbledore Member
    edited March 2016

@rickey318 said:

I got that part. Im confused about those arrows.

@patrick7 said:

Yeah. So it should end at a Tier 1 ISP at right ? like ASN24608 ->ASN6939 (HE)
    But some routes are going beyond Tier 1 ISP, ASN24608 ->AS3320 (Deutsche Telekom)->AS3257(Tinet Spa)

So what's the difference between those two routes.

edited March 2016

HE is not Tier 1 (at least for IPv4).

If AS3320 (Deutsche Telekom) is an upstream provider of AS24608, it's their job to announce all AS24608 prefixes to all peers/downstreams.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • @patrick7 said:

So where these arrows supposed to stop. In some graphs there are arrows/routes from Upstream provider to Tier 1 ISP to another Tier 1 ISP. But in some others it stops at first Tier 1 ISP.

edited March 2016

It depends how they peer. And keep in mind, this graph is from the view of Hurricane Electric. It may be incomplete.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

The data is from routeviews (and so HE claims) meaning the paths are done in normal IX/DC points.

HE goes out of their way to cut the path and have it start at the first Teir 1 (or what ever defined list they have of transit providers) as the start of their path

For example (hypothetical path original path)

Destination ASN <- DC Upstream <- NTT <- HE <- Telia <- DC ASN <- Origin ASN

will become post processing in HE

Destination ASN <- DC Upstream <- NTT <- HE <- Telia

while if we have

Destination ASN <- DC Upstream <- HE <- Origin ASN

will become:

Destination ASN <- DC Upstream <- HE

and for extra bonuses:

Destination ASN <- Origin ASN

Will not even show up on the graph at all and instead will show up as a direct peer in the peer tabs

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • DumbledoreDumbledore Member
    edited March 2016

@Zappie said:

Okay. It makes sense now.