Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Least diruptive/resource-intensive way to add a short music into a Wordpress/HTML page
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Least diruptive/resource-intensive way to add a short music into a Wordpress/HTML page

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited November 2012 in Help

I just decided to start a personal blog on a particular topic and I would like to add a song as a background music if possible, however I know Javascript or Quicktime is a resource hog and everyone hates it, I am just wondering if there is a less disruptive way to add the music, thanks! I can either add as a mp3/wav file directly or add a youtube video.

Comments

• A JWPlayer embed could work fine. You could also throw it into OGG/AAC with HTML5 <audio>.

• @zhuanyi said: I just decided to start a personal blog on a particular topic and I would like to add a song as a background music if possible,

O no no :( that is baddddd. Background music is never a good idea.

• @Spencer said: O no no :( that is baddddd. Background music is never a good idea.

Indeed , after a while it will start irritating repeat visitors / regular readers

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited November 2012

@ihatetonyy said: A JWPlayer embed could work fine. You could also throw it into OGG/AAC with HTML5

DO NOT USE JWPLAYER

Use something sane like http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/

• @justinb said: DO NOT USE JWPLAYER

Use something sane like http://www.schillmania.com/projects/soundmanager2/

Never heard of this, thanks for sharing. I might use this in my future projects, appreciate it.

• Neat. Duly noted for future use.

• @Spencer said: O no no :( that is baddddd. Background music is never a good idea.

It is more for my personal readings :)

• @ihatetonyy said: A JWPlayer embed could work fine. You could also throw it into OGG/AAC with HTML5

Just got this installed, thanks a lot!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@zhuanyi said: Quicktime

Bad, bad, evil.

@zhuanyi said: Javascript [...] is a resource hog and everyone hates it

You're probably thinking of Java, not Javascript. They're not the same thing, not even close.

@zhuanyi said: add a youtube video

Don't. Unnecessary resource usage.

@ihatetonyy said: JWPlayer

Bad. Use something like SoundManager instead, as suggested.

• Sorry if music comes on a website, I instantly click the X.

If you want to force music on me, open up a traditional brick and mortar store.

• Go to the website visitor's house, knock down his door, place some giant 10.2 2Xfully surround bass in their house and then blast the music until you see blood exploding out of their ears.

No man, background music is shit and annoying.

• antivenantiven Member
    edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: You're probably thinking of Java, not Javascript. They're not the same thing, not even close.

Besides the verbosity, there aren't many reasons to hate Java.

• @antiven said: there aren't many reasons to hate Java.

Still the easiest way to hack a Windows desktop?

@antiven said: Besides the verbosity, there aren't many reasons to hate Java.

That I dislike running anything written in Java on my own machine because of the associated system load is definitely a red flag. That I have to think twice before running anything Java on a VPS because it may very well bring it down entirely, is another.

• antivenantiven Member
    edited November 2012

@bamn said: Still the easiest way to hack a Windows desktop?

Am I missing a meme reference here?

(Ninja edit: I think I get it. You're referring to the recently disclosed Java vulnerabilities)

@joepie91 said: That I dislike running anything written in Java on my own machine because of the associated system load is definitely a red flag. That I have to think twice before running anything Java on a VPS because it may very well bring it down entirely, is another.

Memory-wise Java isn't the best, but its definitely not terrible.

Python vs Java, for example

• @antiven said: (Ninja edit: I think I get it. You're referring to the recently disclosed Java vulnerabilities)

As long as you accept the certificate anybody can eggdrop a huge-ass trojan in your temp folder...
    That will never be fixed as sometime that's necessary, that's why you should just never click "Run" for unknown Java applets....

@antiven said: Memory-wise Java isn't the best, but its definitely not terrible.

Maybe not if you have hardware that can run basically anything. Most people don't.

@antiven said: Python vs Java, for example

Benchmarks are great and all, but as long as Python-based applications are zippier and less resource-intensive in practice than their Java counterparts, I'm going to call bullshit. Something about the difference between benchmarks and real-world usage...

• @antiven said: You're referring to the recently disclosed Java vulnerabilities

sed 's/recently/average/'

• Upload it to youtube, and embedded it as 0px for width and length, put it on autoplay, and boom, it's good.

I do it here:

http://canihasfreehosting.com

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@bamn said: Still the easiest way to hack a Windows desktop?

>

+9999999999999999999