Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows XP virtual machine on a dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows XP virtual machine on a dedicated server

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited November 2012 in Help

Hello,

I have an dedi running latest ubuntu. I need Windows XP to run 1 application. Googling learns me that I need KVM or Xen-HVM virtualisation for this.

Only problem is, how do I install this on an existing Ubuntu box (running some production sites and scripts)? (I heard Proxmox for example needs a modified kernel or such)

Wont it harm my current config?

Can I still keep using the host node as I do now?

How would you guys do this?

Comments

• There's a great tutorial on Ubuntu's website: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation

It won't harm your current config (as in if you run website's on it, they will still run).

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited November 2012

Thanks @Evixo. Or would anybody advise virtual box or VmWare?

It is a headless server.

• VMWare is the best hypervisor money (or piracy) can get you, hands down, but...

It comes with some pretty hefty overhead as well. Just use KVM for what you're intending, a GUI with virt-manager makes it the same as Virtualbox, almost.

• Use virtualbox, it's free and easy to setup :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Vmware lets you run their vsphere for free.
    But it requires a reinstall

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

VirtualBox looks best to use, as most of the other solutions need reinstalls..

• If it's a one-off thing, why not just use QEMU directly?

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited November 2012

@MrDOS said: If it's a one-off thing, why not just use QEMU directly?

It is for a WinXP install to run fulltime, but not for clients etc (only one virtual instance I think). I didnt know you could use QEMU directly?

EDIT: QEMU on ubuntu help states that it uses Kqemu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kqemu

kqemu was available in Ubuntu 8.04 to 9.04 from universe as a DKMS package. Support for kqemu has been removed from the upstream source in qemu versions 0.11 and later. KQEMU is not supported in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. This means that systems lacking the hardware virtualization support that is required by kvm will not perform well in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

• Try Xen-HVM.

• Sorry, I meant using QEMU directly as a KVM frontend without using Proxmox or anything crazy like that. If you apt-get install qemu-kvm, you should get everything you need. Use qemu-img to create an empty disk image, then boot and install with qemu-kvm. (Note the -cdrom, -vnc, and -net options.)

• @MrDOS said: Sorry, I meant using QEMU directly as a KVM frontend without using Proxmox or anything crazy like that. If you apt-get install qemu-kvm, you should get everything you need. Use qemu-img to create an empty disk image, then boot and install with qemu-kvm. (Note the -cdrom, -vnc, and -net options.)

That sounds cool, especially since KVM is included in the recent mainstream kernels (so no special kernel needed)!

• or use virt-manager, more comfortable ;)