Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QHoster.com Offer from WHT
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QHoster.com Offer from WHT

biplabbiplab Member
edited April 2012 in Offers

Found this offer from WHT and bought one. Wanted to share it at LET.

XEN PV/HVM with 512 MB Ram, 20 GB Disc and 1 TB Bandwidth at $5.98 / month. Servers are located in Germany. Offer link -
WHT Offer Link

Initially I was allocated a XEN PV server which I requested to move to XEN HVM. Currently I'm on XEN HVM vps.

Some benchmark-

root@qhoster:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.98389 s, 179 MB/s

root@qhoster:~# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
--2012-04-05 15:59:46-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `100mb.test.1'

100%[================================>] 10,48,57,600 12.7M/s in 7.7s

2012-04-05 15:59:54 (12.9 MB/s) - `100mb.test.1' saved [104857600/104857600]

Hope fellow LET people will find it useful.

Disclaimer: I am only a client of QHoster. I have no other commercial association with them.

Thanked by 1ElliotJ

Comments

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@biplab: Can you check if your Xen HVM node is running on Xen 3.4 or Xen 4.1? You'll find it in the first few lines of dmesg.

It appears they are based in Bulgaria --- perhaps @rds100 may have something to say? Servers are in Dusseldorf/Fibre1, same DC as misterhost, which has excellent connectivity IME.

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited April 2012

edited:

Yeap, got one with them. Pretty solid and the xen version is 4.1.2

• @quirkyquark i did some digging
    The company registration number they provide on their webpage (201329335) is valid. Although i can't tell the name of the company it belongs to, just that it is a valid number.
    What is strange is that they don't have EU VAT number - here a company must become VAT registered if it has more than 50000 BGN/year turnaround (which equals 25000 EUR/Year).
    Other than that - the address specified seems to be valid (atleast valid format), and the phone numbers in their whois also seem valid. The domain is old - from 2004, so seems to be old and established company. Strange why they have so low turnaround though (no more than 2000 EUR/month average).

Thanked by 1quirkyquark
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2012

additional info:
    Just checked in the trade register.
    The company has been registered on 2010/11/05 and is a private limited company (one owner).

edit: although there was mandatory reregistration of all companies, maybe this is when the company was reregistered.

A friend of mine told me that they are hetzner reseller.

Thanked by 1quirkyquark
  • Thanks for the share!
    I now officially look at LET more than LEB for offers. :<

• VMVPSVMVPS Member

@ElliotJ Me, too. It seems that Lowendbox is slowing down his steps even the new owner are trying to take over the business...

• @VMVPS, It's a blog really, not a business. On that basis it's realistically just a hobby site.
    Sure the ads bring in a bit, but it's not exactly enough to live off.
    Although I understand that there's an expectation from the community which (currently) isn't been lived up to.

Since there's been a 'recruitment drive' for new writers, I'm hoping that we're just in the teething stage. Maybe I'm just being optimistic.

• @rds100 said: A friend of mine told me that they are hetzner reseller.

Thanks rds. I assume as much since the traceroute to them from my misterhost.de VPS was 1 hop :)

I'll try it out if it's 4.1.2; I've had huge headaches getting Xen PV-on-HVM drivers to work on newer kernels (2.6.32+) on Xen 3.4 nodes.

• @quirkyquark

If you are using CentOS 6.2 you will encounter following bug.

Network Card Missing Bug

Right now CentOS 6.2 is unusable on Xen HVM.

• VMVPSVMVPS Member

@ElliotJ Sorry for my poor English, I can only use simple words like business. Maybe I should use "work" or something else instead. I myself host my own low end vps blog, but in Chinese. I can totally understand how tough the updating work is. So best wishes to LEB !

• An Update-

Couple of days ago I noticed that I am unable to connect to my VPS. My SolusVM login was also not working. So i went ahead to raise a ticket. Then I noticed that they had terminated my account. So I asked them - why?

I was told that my VPS was under attack and thus they had terminated my account. When I asked them why wasn't I informed about it, they chose to ignore it. I asked it multiple times and they ignored it every time.

I wasn't hosting anything that was publicly accessible. My VPS was a minimal Debian 6 install with SSH running on a non-standard port and software firewall installed. My firewall was configured to allow incoming connections to SSH port only and outgoing connections are allowed to port 80 and 443 only. Root login was disabled.

Now I was surprised to know that my VPS was under DDOS attack. Still they insist that it was under attack and thus they terminated it. But I find this behaviour totally unprofessional to not to inform clients before terminating.

Anyway they have refunded my money.

But I'd still want to highlight this as I find such behaviour unprofessional. If anyone has bought a server from them I'd suggest them to keep regular backup and be aware of their stand on any DDOS related issue.

Thanked by 1penubag
  • We are in procedure of obtaining EU VAT number.