Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I still don't understand about WHMCS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What I still don't understand about WHMCS

2»

Comments

• @BronzeByte said: So basically you want an order page like OVH.

Which will then send the invoice to your email when you pay?

That would be good don't you think?

• @mpkossen said: When somebody cancels a product and has an outstanding invoice it gets deleted.

I don't think that's the case? Invoices attached to a cancelled product get cancelled on our system, however i'm not sure if Jason made a modification for that.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited November 2012

@jarland said: By law? That would be quite annoying.

Yes. I'm not sure about the purpose of it, though.

@marcm said: Have you tried HostBill?

No, not yet. I believe James stated it was only for billing hours to clients and not for products/hosting-related billing.

@soluslabs said: I don't think that's the case? Invoices attached to a cancelled product get cancelled on our system, however i'm not sure if Jason made a modification for that.

I believe this used to be the case, but it's been a while since I've tried that. Either way, a cancelled invoice is wrong as well. The invoice needs to stay, I just need to create a credit invoice.

• @mpkossen said: No, not yet. I believe James stated it was only for billing hours to clients and not for products/hosting-related billing.

I think they mean: http://hostbillapp.com/

• Ah, that one! I'll check that out, thanks!

• @mpkossen Yep I was talking about HostBillApp. We are integrating it as we speak. I like it allot more than WHMCS.

• @marcm

WHMCS is immature and for webhosting selling kiddies.

• @BronzeByte said: WHMCS is immature and for webhosting selling kiddies.

@BronzeByte - We got interested in HostBill after looking at the features vs. cost and ease of implementation. All I can tell you is that it doesn't disappoint. On the admin side it is not as "pretty" as WHMCS, but then again it is not as cluttered either.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I wish Hostbill had monthly option. I want to try it out so badly -.-

• @Alex_LiquidHost - $200 isn't that much you know... - and if you don't like it you can ask for your money back.

• @marcm "Refunds will be only issued for failure caused by Software before one full month of usage has passed, once technical staff determine what caused the aforementioned failure. Refunds are not issued for software misuse, server failure or for installation on unsupported servers."

So you can buy it and if there is an issue then only you will get an refund if not mistaken

@marcm said: @Alex_LiquidHost - $200 isn't that much you know... - and if you don't like it you can ask for your money back.

Nope, it's not much. However it's still money and at the moment I am not ready to migrate 500 clients from WHMCS to hostbill, I want to try it out only. 200$ for trying it out is a lot ;)

The refund policy has a catch in it - not everyone qualifies for it, as stormvz already mentioned.

• @StormVZ - True and they might need to be called out on it. Then again I can see their point as well.

@Alex_LiquidHost - ask @jarland - he has a HB license, maybe he can let you try it out and you can buy it from him. For me it's worth switching because of the feature set. I am also switching from Authorize.Net + Bankcard (what a gigantic ripoff). Last month I paid them, Bankcard + Amex a combined $120 in fees. HostBill has Stripe integrated as a module, which is what I will be using starting with next week. 500 clients takes some work to migrate, but you don't have to do it overnight. You can migrate them in batches and when you are done just switch over when everyone has been migrated over.
    Of course if you just want to switch over for the sake of using something else, then don't.

@marcm said: @Alex_LiquidHost - ask @jarland - he has a HB license, maybe he can let you try it out and you can buy it from him. For me it's worth switching because of the feature set. I am also switching from Authorize.Net + Bankcard (what a gigantic ripoff). Last month I paid them, Bankcard + Amex a combined $120 in fees. HostBill has Stripe integrated as a module, which is what I will be using starting with next week. 500 clients takes some work to migrate, but you don't have to do it overnight. You can migrate them in batches and when you are done just switch over when everyone has been migrated over.

Of course if you just want to switch over for the sake of using something else, then don't.

Thanks for the suggestions.. If I remember tommorow, I will hit him up. On the other side - I can't see how I can migrate them in batches. They have different due dates, different invoices. I will migrate the first batch and before I get to migrate the last batch, the first abtch will already have changed stats (paid invoices,terminated services and etc.).

• I was very interested in Hostbill but have heard some support nightmares.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: I will migrate the first batch and before I get to migrate the last batch, the first abtch will already have changed stats (paid invoices,terminated services and etc.).

That is why we implemented prorated billing from the start. Everyone is due on the 1st of next month, every month. It makes life allot easier :)

@marcm said: That is why we implemented prorated billing from the start. Everyone is due on the 1st of next month, every month. It makes life allot easier :)

That's true. I am thinking of implementing that as well.

How to you pro-rate the yearly subscriptions?

• @Alex_LiquidHost

Regardless if it's monthly, semi-annual or yearly, we prorate around the 15th of the current month. WHMCS calculates for each one of them. For example if it's monthly and you order today you will pay for the rest of November + December and your next invoice is due January 1st. If you order today yearly then you pay just for the remainder of November until November 1st 2013. Just go to my.vpsnodebox.com and play with it a bit, you will see :)

Then set the prorate date to the 15th or 20th (Linode uses the 20th) or whatever you think is right. Let me say this again: if you don't need any of the features that HostBill has to offer then don't switch just for the sake of switching. For me it is worth switching, but it might not be for you.

@marcm said: if you don't need any of the features that HostBill has to offer then don't switch just for the sake of switching. For me it is worth switching, but it might not be for you.

Don't get me wrong. I am not in a gurry to switch. I just wanted to test it out in a test enviroment. That's the reason I don't want to spend 200$, as I would probably stcik with WHMCS :)