Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow wht offer. $1.50/512mb ram!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wow wht offer. $1.50/512mb ram!

TazTaz Member
edited November 2012 in General

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

They're the only company I know that can fit 22Gbit of transit down a single 1Gbit uplink.

:)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: They're the only company I know that can fit 22Gbit of transit down a single 1Gbit uplink.

Now that's impressive!

• And don't forgot with their last accident, when their data is wiped

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

Maybe good ole'Ed improved things in Portland? :)

• DirectSpace.net has been dedicated to providing quality and performance VPS and Data > Facility services for more than 8 years, and proven to be an industry leader in critical
    data hosting. DirectSpace hosts all equipment in our privately owned data facility in
    Portland, Oregon. Get in on our great low pricing layout today, we have limited stock!

But their test IP is HE hmmm

• Ah, crap. Still single homed http://bgp.he.net/AS46816

@Spirit said: Maybe good ole'Ed improved things in Portland? :)

They list 3 providers but only have HE up and it's not 20Gbit like they listed. I had a long chat with the HE guys when we moved to Fremont and they said Portland wasn't a huge market for them so it's unlikely they'll do much past the 10Gbit uplink they had.

HE's pretty good about keeping their RDNS accurate for clients. Most ISP's are, that's why I know when most ISP's are full of shit (*dime rings a bell).

They used to have some racks with coloat. One of the high ups over there messaged me and had a chat with me about that all. He simply shook his head at it.

Spirit has a long and painful history if he wants to write a novel.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Spirit has a long and painful history if he wants to write a novel.

Damn, don't remind me... :)

@Spirit said: Damn, don't remind me... :)

I miss our biweekly cpanel renewal throw downs in ticket.

<3

Francisco

• @Francisco said: HE's pretty good about keeping their RDNS accurate for clients. Most ISP's are, that's why I know when most ISP's are full of shit (*dime rings a bell).

If you're talking about a certain host in Orlando, FL - You don't know the beginning of it.

@Kris said: If you're talking about a certain host in Orlando, FL - You don't know the beginning of it.

Oh I do.

Do a trace and you'll see gigeethernet, etc, on "10gbit Level3 uplinks". I honestly feel bad for @ChrisK because I think they were jacking the guy hard. But, that's for another time.

Francisco

• @Francisco
    I am not going to discuss our experience with them, but if they are advertising 10G when they really have gigE that's disgusting.

• KrisKris Member
    edited November 2012

@Francisco said: Oh I do.

I was Manny's first employee / head tech there as they grew from 4 servers to 150+ shared servers I worked on, as head security tech.

I taught him shell. Well, created Visual Basic programs that would copy commands to the clipboard he could paste into shell. 25+ commands on call from a VB GUI. Can't make this shit up.

I was there when they bought their first DC from Infinitium as their first data center. ~ 500 KB/s from TWTelecom max BW. I think the website said multiple OC3's then.

They'd upgrade the pipe as they needed to, but only when it was at 90%+ saturation.

Then they moved to a penthouse in downtown Orlando. (Old UUNet DC)

No UPS (many brownouts with Paul running around rebooting servers) and no HVAC unit (roof couldn't hold it) Cooling was numerous auditorium fans.

A few months in when things got real bad, like servers melting down literally (mine included) they decided to move & strip out an old airplane hanger in the outskirts of Orlando, Maitland. (I came up with the name of DimeNOC) - DC2 is really the first real data center.

That's only one story... Manny loves screwing with rDNS of uplinks to make them sound bigger / that they have more BW than they actually do. I remember 1gige rDNS on ball-achingly slow links.

I helped a LEB host get out of HD and to real data centers, when we tried moving - They had 2 BGP peers and the moves would literally stall. I called them out on WHT and was soon banned. :)

• Anyone want to move their racks into my datacenter/living room? My AC is set at 75F and runs all day. I have a 786kbit uplink, plus a GPRS backup on my cell phone. Kitchen is nearby with a coffee pot and desk space.

• Interesting reading @Kris

• KrisKris Member
    edited November 2012

@Spirit said: Interesting reading @Kris

If you only knew. 

Normal for 1200+ clients on P4 2.4's with 1 GB of RAM.

I would have them add 3rd hard drives just to deal with the I/O load on the /var directory (MySQL.) If you used a ton of BW / caused I/O load, you were thrown on there too - Normal sweeps for illegal crap and MP3s / large files when the hard drives would get filled up. Anything to keep the server operating.

The LEB host I helped flee went with VPSLatch for their main website, thinking it would be better to have a 'managed VPS' from them. Every night the site would go down, I/O speeds of 2-6 MB/s, guessing cpbackup across the node. Support tickets would say 'nothing looks wrong.'

Apparently they haven't changed in terms of overselling. Manny's your best friend, when he's trying to sell you something.

• @rajprakash said: Anyone want to move their racks into my datacenter/living room?

Depending on if you sound like a new office / PoP - Manny might want to talk to you. He loves tiny little PoPs to sound big. :)

• They did good jobs on overselling,not only the VPS,but also their soul.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@Dionysus said: @Spirit: What was your experience with Directspace like?

Terrible, just terrible. It was some time ago however I still remember constant cPanel licence expiration (like every 3rd week), slow, really slow constantly abused node, single homed low budget network while Edward was lying that it's not, downtime here and there, etc... and of course false hope that it will be better but it wasn't.
    Only, really only positive thing was one always kind tech support guy who never lost his nerves no matter how much I complained ;-) But he doesn't work there anymore... he run his own successful and popular LEB hosting company.

• TazTaz Member
    edited November 2012

Who is he? Is he Fran the great?

• @Taz said: Who is he? Is he Fran?

If you dig long enough you will find a story about those times somewhere at LET.

• Digging let is a nightmare. Derailment makes it difficult. Come on. Name it. He is a good person and deserves honorable mention

• Ah, this host.

The one that uses desktop hardware on their nodes....

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz - It's all public :)

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/27141#Comment_27141 Old Latin would say "Per aspera ad astra" :)

• KrisKris Member
    edited November 2012

@Francisco 's story sounds the same as mine at HostDime.

I was remote though and luckily under 18, so money wasn't as tough. Went I actually needed more than $1,000 per month minus a server rental fee, I quit when manny dropped my hours, while every extended family member got 50k+ per year for doing close to nothing.

Hours were dropped on December 23rd as head security tech then (doing custom mod_security) - I was the only person on tech support on December 24th when a worm made its way around shared cPanel servers. I stopped it in its tracks, wrote custom code to stop it / cleaned it all up & submitted my resignation.

He followed it up by commandeering my hosting server for my then 20-30 client company, VirtueHosting and invoiced them / absorbed the client base. I had no access to my own server.

Stories sound very alike, but I do know how far the rabbit hole goes at HD. I also helped them grow / manage their nodes with the crazy over-selling.

Only thing I got out of that place was experience, and the ability to manage I/O load very, very well.

• Directspace is one of the biggest piece-of-crap networks and offerings in the United States.

Tried them like many providers :) Nothing but constant downtime, unexplainable outages and lousy network performance.

Enjoy the history lesson behind this provider and others. Thanks @Kris @Spirit @Francisco. Damn, 6 degrees of separation are more like 2-3 in this industry :)

• @Francisco Did buyvm clients just exploded in numbers in 2011?

@jcaleb said: @Francisco Did buyvm clients just exploded in numbers in 2011?

BuyVM started in 2010.

We have sales threads on WHT that are 20+ pages long of people after stock. Our $15/y's weren't even out yet.

They're still around.

Francisco

• This is a very saddening story

• why sad. I am interested how buyvm because successful