Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best backup method
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best backup method

joshuahjoshuah Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hello! First time post...

I am wondering if someone could help me with creating a backup script for my VPS.

Its a openvz VPS, which has cPanel/WHM installed. (located in Sydney Australia)

I do have full root access etc.

I want to be able to take full weekly backups on Sunday and then daily incremental backups.

I have a VPS located in LA, USA which will house the backups.

I want the best compression, but obviously if a customer requests me to restore a file that is deleted/ or corrupted on their server, i can easily locate and restore the requested file.

Note: the WHM/cPanel server in Sydney will host many cPanel accouns, so obviously want to backup their websites, databases and cPanel settings etc.

Can someone please help :)

Comments

• Hey, saw your post on WHT AU. Good to see you around.

• Rsync Syndney to LA with a frequent cron job. Rsync is the swiss army knife to get cozy with.

I'd replicate the data mainly. That's the bread and butter. Databases, configs, etc. gets kind of tricky. Folks in the multi tenant C-Panel and similar hosting should chime in on what has actually worked for them

Rsync with no file deletion. Just in case you get massive rm -rf or other non sense the deletion isn't replicated to the backup.

Have to come up with sensible strategy to cut a full clean backup of actual files (which could include such deletions) as well as a larger insurance backup set that might include duplicates and deletions. All while managing the limited commodity of bandwidth and overhead of rsync running frequently.

Give this a read:
    http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Bacula4Hosts works pretty well. cPanel plugin as well that allows for self customer restores. Supports compression and incremental backups

• @Fliphost said: Bacula4Hosts works pretty well. cPanel plugin as well that allows for self customer restores. Supports compression and incremental backups

Bacula seems really interesting , am wondering why the leading players here are not tinkering with it to offer a good backup package

@gameon We currently use to backup our VPS nodes, and will soon add it to our cPanel servers. For a beta it works well. Hope to add user restores for VPSs in the future with it

• @Fliphost said: @gameon We currently use to backup our VPS nodes, and will soon add it to our cPanel servers. For a beta it works well. Hope to add user restores for VPSs in the future with it

+1

Yeah we already do this for cPanel :). Working on FTP/Backup for selected VPS plans too. RAID60 storage is too awesome here.

• hmmm... there is no lifetime package though :(

Is there any other alternatives?

• @joshuah said: hmmm... there is no lifetime package though :(

Is there any other alternatives?

What do you mean a lifetime package? Are you looking for something that has a 1 off cost?

• Yes. one off cost.. i had a look at r1soft but that is too expensive..

• @joshuah said: Yes. one off cost.. i had a look at r1soft but that is too expensive..

R1Soft doesn't work inside the OpenVZ container anyway.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@joshuah if you mean one-off for the software itself, could just program cron jobs and such yourself, that would only cost your time. If you mean one-off for the actual remote storage location... ain't gona happen.

Edit: Cpanel does have their own command line scripts you can program into a bash script such as pkg_acct to just package the entire account then rsync it over to a remote location, or can just use an rsync command line to make nightly incremental, depends on what and how you want to backup.

• @kbeezie i dont mean once off for actual storage location, i already have the storage available on a backup VPS.

I mean, I need once off payment for a "script" to do the backups.

I am happy to pay someone if they can help me with the script.. or i am happy to take it for free if someone is willing to share :)

• Should be quite a few bash scripts that would work with cpanel on SSH/etc on google unless your needs are very specific.

• If you have remote storage available, why not just go into WHM and enable cPanel automatic backups (Home >> Backup >> Configure Backup).
    You can configure it so that the backup files get uploaded via FTP to your remote location.

Documentation: http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/ConfigBackup

• I'm running duplicity and automysqlbackup to Amazon s3. I can link to the tutorials I used to get it working.

• Instead of a simple rsync, you could use rdiff-backup. It allows you to save incremental backups (and you can issue a command like "restore to 3 months and 4 days ago". It's based on rsync ;-)

• @George_Fusioned only problem with this is, alot of people have warned me against using WHM inbuilt backups as there is no guarantee that it can be restored and unreliable.

• @joshuah cPanel's inbuilt backups increase server load and iowait when running (due to taring) but that's about it. Whoever told you that the backups taken are unreliable and/or not guaranteed, is talking BS.

• @George_Fusioned isn't this normal load though? As most will TAR anyway as backing up?

• @George_Fusioned what about when WHM does the incremental backup.. it should not tar right as it needs to compare files on remote end?

• @joshuah indeed, but compared to R1Soft for example, the latter wouldn't cause any increased load because a kernel module is used to track changes.

• @svgnamy said: I'm running duplicity and automysqlbackup to Amazon s3. I can link to the tutorials I used to get it working.

Same way but throw backups to Dropbox. :)

CPremote

• @DannyAlex sure please do.

• @joshuah here it is. http://tanvps.com/vps/255.html
    You can customize it to what you want.should also work with cPanel.