Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a few questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just a few questions

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in General

Hey guys, would appreciate it if you could answer these just so we can get a look at where LEB/LET really is.

NOTE: All questions are in regards to OpenVZ boxes, seeing as they're the only ones of such a size at this price point currently.

1) Do you need a 2GB VPS?
2) Do you have a 2GB VPS within LEB pricing?
3) If yes to 2, is the full 2GB (or close enough to justify this size container) being used?

Thanks to all those who answer :)

Comments

• 1) No
    2) Not anymore.

• sure I would have used it for my billing server. But went with a 512 xen vps. at a higher price point.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Jack edited first post, cheers

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited November 2012

1) 2GB VPS, sometimes. If I want to run good MySQL install or memcache. Most providers perform so lousily that neither is actually doable, regardless of the RAM allocated (2GB, 4GB, 8GB).

2) 2GB VPS @ LEB pricing = danger. Economics dictate something afoul to do such (overselling massively, loss leader sales, little to no technical support, etc.). $7 a month doesn't buy much in reality.

2GB = $10-$15/mo and unsure how truly sustainable that is for a provider, unless owns infrastructure, already employs masses of support folks (i.e. real and good sized business).

3) Utilization, on the large RAM plans I've used in the past (do not subscribe to them any longer at LEB pricing), found them to be useless. Continued those plans mainly due to the corresponding larger disk space, which I can/do use.

Since useless and mainly storage-only interest, I'd say I probably idled at 768MB-1GB of RAM. MySQL still running for lesser stuff and non-optimized my.cnf to use less RAM probably 50% of RAM use. System caching stuff probably eating up most of the rest used.

Summary, I don't buy these 2GB plans any longer and their lure to me is 0.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@liamwithers said: If yes to 2, is the full 2GB (or close enough to justify this size container) being used?

Sold 10 2GB plans in Dallas. One custom 4GB plan.
    Memory in use: 3147MB

I'm sure that'll step up but I'd bet money that those systems combined never reach 8GB usage at the same time ;)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I offer 1.5GB RAM for LEB price. Bairly 5-6GB are used on a full node.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

Not at this point in time.

No.

3) If yes to 2, is the full 2GB (or close enough to justify this size container) being used?

If I did have one, the answer here would probably be yes :)

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited November 2012

1) Yes, for remote desktop.
    2) Not any more since I left ChicagoVPS.
    3) Yes.

edited November 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I offer 1.5GB RAM for LEB price. Bairly 5-6GB are used on a full node.

Thanks for this, @Alex_LiquidHost.. it's always nice to see providers being open. Just out of interest, how much RAM is on that node? Also, if the node was full and not oversold, meaning all users were using all or close to their full allocation, would this be sustainable for you as a host?

@jarland said: Sold 10 2GB plans in Dallas. One custom 4GB plan.

Memory in use: 3147MB

As above, thanks for being open. Is this at LEB pricing?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@liamwithers said: Thanks for this, @Alex_LiquidHost.. it's always nice to see providers being open. Just out of interest, how much RAM is on that node? Also, if the node was full and not oversold, meaning all users were using all or close to their full allocation, would this be sustainable for you as a host?

It is sustainable, as you can see, however the profit margin is very thin and I am lucky I am getting really good server pricing and even better IPs pricing.

EDIT: forgot to mention that my nodes range from 16 to 32 gigs. Planning to get some 64gig E5's soon. And the nodes are balanced between the plans - meaning some 128MB clients are placed on tehre as well.

@liamwithers said: As above, thanks for being open. Is this at LEB pricing?

$7 for the 2GB. Node running 64GB memory.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Oh no. More of these offers inbound?

@Nick_A said: Oh no. More of these offers inbound?

I demand 8 cores, 100GB SSD, 4GB RAM, $7/m. Do it.

Think this already goes to show that it's unlikely that any 2GB LEB node will exceed any more than around 25% usage if resources are dedicated. To me, this means that users are paying for the idea of high RAM, when really they wouldn't need any more than a 512 box.

Whilst I'm aware it's easy to max out a 2GB box with the provider most well-known for offering them, I assume this is because the majority of the other VPS's on the node aren't being pushed much at all.

I'd love LEB to start having providers offer something to users to tempt them other than just large amounts of RAM. For me, those few hosts who offer things such as 32mb VPS's, or OnApp etc. should be given more of the spotlight.

• Enlightening conversation @Alex_LiquidHost and @jarland.

• Still a consumer of some LEB, I'd like to say I tend to use up the 2GB when I purchase a 2GB VPS. This is when I find out some budget providers don't allow that - it simply crashes. SolusVM even shows 0MB / 0MB and freezes.

My only problem with these LEB price 2GB. At least make it work.

@concerto49 said: My only problem with these LEB price 2GB. At least make it work.

Precisely why I only sold 10 ;)

• The people who pay for high ram on my nodes are buying 4-8gb of ram at a time and they usually are using it or asking us how to tweak mysql or postgresql to make use of the extra memory.

I think Liam is right, when you price it that cheap you are getting users that will not use it and I'd rather charge a correct amount and have it used than offer it super cheap and have a quarter of my memory sitting around unused. Sure you could sell more on the unused meory, but what if those 2g users start using? I've seen how OpenVZ handles OOM situations on busy nodes and it's never pretty. If you're going to oversell your ram it's better you use something like Virtuozzo which reduces RAM footprints by letting containers share a single file/driver etc when 2 or more containers are using the same file/driver whatever. However Virtuozzo you could not offer 5 dollars 2gb plans because you're going to be paying 1.82 a user in Virtuozzo fees.

What on earth can someone do with a 32mb VPS?

@FRCorey said: What on earth can someone do with a 32mb VPS?

VPN, could host a couple of static sites if you optimised it. Think you could probably get TeamSpeak/Mumble on 32mb as well, but that's not something I've played with before, so can't comment.

edited November 2012

@FRCorey said: Sure you could sell more on the unused meory, but what if those 2g users start using?

Thing is though, let's compare that to my situation. Average 256mb RAM client uses less than 64mb memory. Average 512mb RAM client uses less than 128mb memory. Average 1GB RAM client uses less than 256mb. These aren't exact, this is an educated estimate from my observations. Obviously selling to the point that 80% of my resources were in use would be a terrible move, but there's room to mix plans on a node.

Now, I don't have a pool as large as some providers here, but not so small as to be worthless numbers. Sure 2GB clients don't use 2GB, but neither do 128mb clients use 128mb. Just don't sell 2GB plans expecting usage to match those with 256mb plans.

• @FRCorey

They can run $ uptime and say: "omg, my shitty cheap vps has been wasting money for x days now!"

• DamianDamian Member
    edited November 2012

@FRCorey said: What on earth can someone do with a 32mb VPS?

As of this writing, we have 399 active 32mb VPS plans. I really have no idea wtf people use them for, but they cause us no problems, and they're quite popular. We still sell them, even though the only place they appear is at the top of a single post on LET.

• @jarland said: Average 512mb RAM client uses less than 128mb memory. Average 1GB RAM client uses less than 256mb.

Most of our clients have used up all their memory. Don't have a large number of stats either.

• I can do pretty much everything I need on a 512mb box (1GB if pushing it). I'd rather have 2 x 1GB than a 2GB tbh.

• @liamwithers said: Hey guys, would appreciate it if you could answer these just so we can get a look at where LEB/LET really is.

NOTE: All questions are in regards to OpenVZ boxes, seeing as they're the only ones of such a size at this price point currently.

Thanks to all those who answer :)

1)No
    2)Yes, I do have a VPS within current LEB pricing.
    3)No, not ever being used, ever.

• 1) Not really.
    2) Yes,I was ever a LEB collector :P

edited November 2012

@concerto49 Interesting. I wonder what makes our clients consistently different. Could just be coincidence I suppose, or perhaps I do something to attract a certain type? Luckily I don't use that as what I go by for overselling. I'd massively oversell to the point of being totally unreasonable if I did.

• fanfan Veteran

Not really, I put everything in production on a 1.2G Xen and used < 800mb.

Not right now, but considering one from cvps.

• 1) Do you need a 2GB VPS?
    No
    No