Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody using the commercial CloudFlare plans?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody using the commercial CloudFlare plans?

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited November 2012 in Help

I know there are a shitload of opinions about CloudFlare, think about it what you want but it does pretty much what they advertise. Only point is, for one of my heavy-traffic clients I'd like to use them but their (free) service gets hit a lot by DDoS skids with too much time on their hands. Is there anybody here who uses their commercial plans and if so, how is it? Less DDoS? Faster site? 100% uptime for their DNS servers and such?

Comments

• A well known site who uses their commercial plans is 4chan.org - So if they trust them, they can't be too bad.
    I think @Spencer was forced to upgrade as well.

• @Jack said: @ElliotJ what do you mean forced?

From what @Spencer said, he had ~300 records in a single zone. You're probably better off asking him directly though :P

• I used CloudFlare Pro around a year and a half ago. I can't speak about the DDoS protection but generally speaking it made by site a little faster, but honestly not $20/month worth of speed.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited November 2012

@wdq said: I used CloudFlare Pro around a year and a half ago. I can't speak about the DDoS protection but generally speaking it made by site a little faster, but honestly not $20/month worth of speed.

I might have to rephrase my opening post, but did your CloudFlare Pro site experience downtime like a month ago when cloudflare DNS was under ddos, or is that a seperate infrastructure? The DDoS protection is not what i need, just way less load on my php etc :P

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited November 2012

@djvdorp said: just way less load on my php etc

Have you considered Memcache or Redis?

• @djvdorp said: I might have to rephrase my opening post, but did your CloudFlare Pro site experience downtime like a month ago when cloudflare DNS was under ddos, or is that a seperate infrastructure?

The DNS didn't go down so people could still access my site (I just used CloudFlare DNS at the time). CloudFlare had another outage back when I still used Pro and had the always online feature enabled. Because CloudFlare went down my site did as well.

• So even that traffic that they kept from reaching your server wasn't significant or worth $20/mo ?

• @Corey I wouldn't say so.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm using the 20$ per month plan for my main site. Can't say about DDoS protection as I am already proxying the traffic through my firewall.

• Ok, help me understand this, because it is not making sense.....

The Cloudflare DDoS protection......isn't that just a gimmick? Because all it takes is a simple two second CloudFlare resolver to get the web-servers real IP and take down the whole box.

So how is that actually helping or am I missing something?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@NateN34 said: Ok, help me understand this, because it is not making sense.....

The Cloudflare DDoS protection......isn't that just a gimmick? Because all it takes is a simple two second CloudFlare resolver to get the web-servers real IP and take down the whole box.

So how is that actually helping or am I missing something?

http://cloudflareresolver.com/

Looks like it's just a gimmick? :)

• Unless you remove all direct access subdomains, yes.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If you remove the direct subdomains it does better

• Can't resolve any of my CF-protected domains with that resolver...

• @djvdoro
    @simplenode
    @fliphost

that only works on dumb people who dont even take notice of the direct subdomains :)

• We use CloudFlare Business + RailGun, and have no complaints.

• @KnightSwarm_Phillip said: We use CloudFlare Business + RailGun, and have no complaints.

Cool! Also not affected by the downtime from a few weeks ago (at their free plan) ?

• @djvdorp
    1) You could read trough the CloudFlare documentation you know, it explains what it does pretty well.
    2) Unless you go up to the Enterprise plans, you will get no DDoS protection. Just slap Nginx on your server(s) and set a rate limit for connections. Of course, that's not the only kind of DDoS attack possible, but it's a start. Or just get a VPS from a provider that offer hardware DDoS protection.

• @marcm said: 1) You could read trough the CloudFlare documentation you know, it explains what it does pretty well.

I know pretty much what it does, I just need to know if the free plans are separated from the premium ones in terms of Cloudflares downtime lately.

@marcm said: 2) Unless you go up to the Enterprise plans, you will get no DDoS protection. Just slap Nginx on your server(s) and set a rate limit for connections. Of course, that's not the only kind of DDoS attack possible, but it's a start. Or just get a VPS from a provider that offer hardware DDoS protection.

Thanks, but the server is a dedi already so I'd need a dedi then. DDoS is not the issue much, it is just too much load atm.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NateN34 said: all it takes is a simple two second CloudFlare resolver

Not if you configure your domain correctly. Try 'resolving' anonnews.org.

@marcm said: Unless you go up to the Enterprise plans, you will get no DDoS protection.

That's not really true. You get limited DDoS mitigation on every plan, but if it gets bad enough to affect their network, the traffic will be routed directly to your server.

• @djvdorp said: Cool! Also not affected by the downtime from a few weeks ago (at their free plan) ?

Have never had an outage from CloudFlare, to my knowledge. Pingdom monitoring at 60 second intervals across all of our services.

• @djvdorp said: I know pretty much what it does, I just need to know if the free plans are separated from the premium ones in terms of Cloudflares downtime lately.

Everyone is on the Free and Pro plans share the same servers and everything else (network, etc.). I don't know about the Enterprise plans because they are very expensive, but I'd assume they are much better since they offer an SLA for those.