Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS servers

kamalnasserkamalnasser Member
edited November 2012 in General

So I've been seeing a lot of people with their own DNS servers. Why would you do that instead of using something like cloudflare DNS or some other free DNS service?

Comments

• Because I can :)
    Also, it's nice to have full control yourself.

• I have no need to use my own DNS Server, we just use CloudFlare. :)

• Geo-dns or other options, or you just want total control of your infrastructure. Personally I just use he.net, supports up to 50 domains for free which is plenty, and it's rock solid backed by a professional ISP.

• HE DNS doesn't support wildcard.

So I use dnsmadeeasy.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I was using my own, when I discovered CloudFlare.

• @netomx said: I was using my own, when I discovered CloudFlare.

Why host your own email when there's Google Apps?
    Why host your own website when there's Google Sites?
    Why host your own (insert service here ) when there's (facebook|twitter|cloudfare|etc|etc|etc)

Some people see the Internet as a source of (free|cheap|useful) services they can utilize. That's fine. Others see it as a network for running there own services. That's also fine.

• I wrote my own panel, and so far everyone that has been using it is loving it.

• @vld said: I wrote my own panel, and so far everyone that has been using it is loving it.

what panel?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@sleddog google sites isnt as powerful as you need

• @Jack said: @vld share it!.

@tommy said: what panel?

gdns.re

• I run my own DNS servers...

Because I can. And once it's set up, it's quicker to edit zone files than to update the records through a control panel somewhere. And also, my failover script needs to be able to change the DNS if it switches to a backup server.

• Anyone want cdns.asia? :p

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

Because having ns1.{yourdomain} is way more l33t-like than dns1.{insertfreeproviderdomain}

Kidding aside, I hate web control panel for managing dns. It's cumbersome.
    I Prefer editing zone file directly.

• kamalnasserkamalnasser Member
    edited November 2012

@sleddog said: Some people see the Internet as a source of (free|cheap|useful) services they can utilize. That's fine. Others see it as a network for running there own services. That's also fine.

Fair enough :p

@vld said: gdns.re

Sexy :3 Is it open-source?

• Free = questionable service (uptime, support, redundancy, DDoS survival, etc.).

Rolling your own exposes you to downtime issues potentially due to DDoS, node failure, etc.

Found after many years that nice to run your own, but better for business and sanity to outsource to a real company that does this 24/7/365. Plus has useful tools, API's, etc. for redundancy, failover detection, etc.

If you are running a site no one reads and is a hobby, then you can use any DNS solution including free.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Because we can and we like it :)

• BTW, I highly recommend @gbshouse DNS services (Rage4 DNS). Free for up to 250k DNS queries a month. So everyone should get it a try.

• @vld said: gdns.re

site takes an invite code, mind sharing one?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2012

I run my own, wherever possible and sensible to do so I want to be in control if something goes wrong so I can deal with it rather than sending support tickets and having to wait on someone else.