Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very Important : Leaseweb's Bandwidth Overage Policy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very Important : Leaseweb's Bandwidth Overage Policy

MridulMridul Member
edited January 2016 in Providers

I came across this sad story at WHT , where the client was using a $15 VPS.

The client got a DDoS and while they were still investigating,LeaseWeb sent him a Bill of $2500 ! . The Client Ended up paying $500 ( This was supposedly as favor from Leaseweb's side )

The morale of the story is , to note that :

• Leaseweb WILL NOT Null Route your IP, if DDoSed instead charge you for bandwidth
  • You Must ( Manually ) Set limits WITHIN Leaseweb's client area to send you emails and/or take the server offline if certain limit of bandwidth is reached.

If you are a leaseweb client using any of VPSs / Cloud , plz set the limits manually else the day you get DDoS be ready for a mega bill.

Comments

• I set that value from the beginning

• @tommy: did you ask Leaseweb if they cut you off in real time when 2TB is used? or do you have to wait until some script runs (hourly, daily etc...) Meaning that you could use way more than 2TB in the case of a ddos before your server is actually shut down.

• That is why you get ddos protection XD

But, still that is an insane amount of $$ to spend.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited January 2016

WTF

They sell 100TB Traffic dedicated servers for 46€, but 10TB overage traffic for a VPS is billed with $2500.

Thanked by 1nitro85
  • They did ask me a truckload of Euros after a NL box that passed the monthly allotment .
    As ny previous experiences were with either unmetered, hosts that would tell me when I was at 90% of use of simply cut me down this took me by complete surprise.
    I do have like 6tb for 2 locations ( nl and us where nl performs way better than us, iirc manassas) and 8 tbs for the Singapore locations

• @inthecloudblog said:
    They did ask me a truckload of Euros after a NL box that passed the monthly allotment .
    As ny previous experiences were with either unmetered, hosts that would tell me when I was at 90% of use of simply cut me down this took me by complete surprise.
    I do have like 6tb for 2 locations ( nl and us where nl performs way better than us, iirc manassas) and 8 tbs for the Singapore locations

Interesting. Did you pay what they asked ?

• @JoeMerit said:
    tommy: did you ask Leaseweb if they cut you off in real time when 2TB is used? or do you have to wait until some script runs (hourly, daily etc...) Meaning that you could use way more than 2TB in the case of a ddos before your server is actually shut down.

never asking them. I turn on Power Off, I believe that will do the job. btw I've 4 TB limit there. never use more than 600 GB, I just want to make sure I don't get overcharge

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    That is why you get ddos protection XD

But, still that is an insane amount of $$ to spend.

Well, it seems that the client didnt had DDoS issues before. Even I have faced issues and the normal practice is to null route.

But seems a few simple things are still so difficult to do in the industry despite of all the technology in place.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Mridul said: But seems a few simple things are still so difficult to do in the industry despite of all the technology in place.

I think Leaseweb's target customers (large businesses) would rather scale up to accommodate the attack than get null routed. AWS will charge you in the same way, although I think they usually would refund if it's the first time.

• MridulMridul Member
    edited January 2016

@perennate said:
    I think Leaseweb's target customers (large businesses) would rather scale up to accommodate the attack than get null routed. AWS will charge you in the same way, although I think they usually would refund if it's the first time.

That sounds quite logical, however,

IMHO, More logical is the fact that IF a client is WILLING to pay $2500 for bandwidth ( ans his business is quite critical ) he must be capable to find a decent DDoS protection that would cost him far far less.

Furthermore, the the VPS itself is lowcost ( Leaseweb is infact one of the cheaper server providers with vps starting at $3 ) To expect/bill $xxxx for a $x service is insane.

Lastly, in the welcome email they can include these important details specially the activation of traffic alerts and their policy of "No Null Route".

• sinsin Member

In the Leaseweb control panel you have the ability to set bandwidth notifications (along with having it turn off your VPS if you want) and you can also manually nullroute your IPs.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

JoeMerit said: did you ask Leaseweb if they cut you off in real time when 2TB is used? or do you have to wait until some script runs (hourly, daily etc...) Meaning that you could use way more than 2TB in the case of a ddos before your server is actually shut down.

It doens't matter. If you set the limit to power off your VPS as soon as 2TB is reached, from then on it'll be entirely their fault for potentially not doing so, and they will have no grounds to charge you for any bandwidth usage over 2TB.

• so if someone DDOS's you on the 1st of the month, you're offline for the rest of it? Seems like a lot of manual/sequential tinkering of bandwidth is required otherwise.

• edited January 2016

@Mridul said:
    Interesting. Did you pay what they asked ?

I ended up talking with a Spanish rep and made them/ him understand my point of view and that they were not only the norm but the exception.
    They told me how their TOS was over and over and I still remained in my position telling them that the easiest for me was not to pay the outrageous costs .
    Finally they sliced a big part of my bill and they allowed me to pay in like 2 or 3 installments, cant recall.

Also warned they that they had some flaw with the bw counter in Singapore ( where I also had to pay but not as much as in NL as the extra bw was small).
    Sg:
    As I had been warning their techs the month before that graphs were not being displayed and they told me not to worry to use it that they ll fix it then I just used them ( I'm lazy to monitor every 20-30 servers).
    So I argumented this and the extra $ I paid was put as credit.
    ( I'm posting little by little as sometimes I have all my text wiped out from the phone)

• Thanx fr the effort.

For LET : Stay AWAY frm LeaseWeb. There are Much better names like RamNode and Vultr.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • My NL VPS experienced a DDoS attack years ago, and the IP(s) were nullrouted. No overage charges. I guess it depends on the size of the attack (and whether it actually causes problems for the network or is just eating your bandwidth).

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • edited January 2016

Network consumption in my case was on my own ( no ddoss )
    I'll post in pieces as the post I was about to post just got deleted by my silly phone .
    I've taken those offers when they where 40% off or something like that.
    They called me VERY often until I told this Spanish employee to request whoever calls me not to.
    Despite they used some none native English speakers I think it makes them different.

• I already set mine, but remember:

Kindly note that the below measurements are done once in 24 hrs and are reset on monthly basis.

So they could blow your monthly cap in a day, and the "soft power off" will not take effect until the next day...

• Another problem is that if you want to cancel you need to cancel on the 1st day of the month. Otherwise you gonna get billed for another full month, just like me (i cancelled on 12th and now have to pay another month).

No love from me for LW

• Bumping this thread:

Do not trust the bandwidth limiter in the leaseweb CP, I set a limit to 3800GB and the server was stopped when it reached 5000GB.

But trust me, they will not see a single dollar from me.

Thanked by 2ManofServer coreflux
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well that's fairly obvious, its a problem their side and I am sure they will acknowledge that,

• Leaseweb is notorious for that kind of stuff, man.

• I ran into an issue where I used I think 6TB in a month on one of their 4TB VPSs and I was originally pissed cause I had remembered setting it up to alert me and shut down the VPS at 90% usage or something like that. Turns out I set it only to notify me and not shutdown. In the end I spent an extra 10 Euro on that extra bandwidth and cussed under my breath, but it was my fault for not setting it right. I do believe when you first order they suggest you take time to setup these limitations, so if you fail to do so, it is really the customers fault. However, you would think after a 'reasonable' amount of data use on a 15 Euro server they would be like "something isn't right and we should stop the server and contact the customer". If anything that is where they dropped the ball, they shouldn't allow a 15 Euro a month customer to acquire more than 2-3x their normal monthly debt without making an inquiry as to if the traffic is legit.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member

@TheLinuxBug said:
    I ran into an issue where I used I think 6TB in a month on one of their 4TB VPSs and I was originally pissed cause I had remembered setting it up to alert me and shut down the VPS at 90% usage or something like that. Turns out I set it only to notify me and not shutdown. In the end I spent an extra 10 Euro on that extra bandwidth and cussed under my breath, but it was my fault for not setting it right. I do believe when you first order they suggest you take time to setup these limitations, so if you fail to do so, it is really the customers fault. However, you would think after a 'reasonable' amount of data use on a 15 Euro server they would be like "something isn't right and we should stop the server and contact the customer". If anything that is where they dropped the ball, they shouldn't allow a 15 Euro a month customer to acquire more than 2-3x their normal monthly debt without making an inquiry as to if the traffic is legit.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thats what I do - For example with the smallest 4TB bandwidth offering I have it set to notify AND shutdown at the 3TB mark. I think they have a warning that the traffic/bandwidth is only checked every 24 hours but I'm not sure.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

The only way to limit your bandwidth in real time is to use vnstat or other similar utility.

Also you can write simple autoshutdown script on bash.

Here is an example https://github.com/tushariscoolster/digitalocean-bandwidth-shutdown/blob/master/do-bandwidth-shutdown.sh

Thanked by 1sin