Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Addictions....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Addictions....

MunMun Member
edited January 2016 in General

Alright, LET are you up for a challenge?

Backstory time!

A group of friends that I hang out with on skype got together and decided to do a challenge. The challenge was to record all of our VPS(s), Dedicated Server(s), Colocated Server(s), and any other shared service(s) and input them on a spreadsheet. We would then compare who had the lowest and greatest expense on servers..... Lets just say 7$ VPSs add up real quick.

The next part was we would then go through and begin purging and consolidating anything we didn't need anymore, and try and save as much as we could.

Now time to make it fun for LET

Here is the challenge for LET. First fill out this lovely form I have made for all of you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1St54ZyRmkL1_ajWKZmjEpuUv_s8N1J1nwgFhUshwEcQ/edit#gid=0

1. Just click File -> Make a copy...

2. Fill out the form with all your services. (I started off by looking at my paypal active subscriptions)

3. Try not to cry, and record your total expenses as of right now.

4. Prune those services you don't need or can consolidate! (You actually have to cancel them, no "I am just going to keep it for another month".)

5. Post here on LET, if you dare, on how much you saved monthly / yearly by consolidating your server base! (please by honest, this is a trust based system)

6. Realize how much happier you feel in life not having to manage all those servers, and have your pocket flush with a little bit (or a lot) more cash!

Tip: I bought some extra IP space for one of my colocated servers, installed proxmox, and then moved a ton of shit to it. Which dramatically lowered my bill.

My stats..... (cries)

I was paying around $500 a month on servers. I have currently shaved off $87.51 a month off my bill, which is $1,050.12 a year........

I am still working on lowering my bill, and over the next 6 months or so I will be lowering it even further.

In any case, enjoy!

p.s. I made it so you could put 100 services in the spreadsheet, if you have more then that... DAMN!

Comments

• @Mun said: We would then compare who had the lowest and greatest expense on servers

I got halfway through this awhile back.. and the total got depressing so I stopped calculating.

@Mun said: The next part was we would then go through and begin purging and consolidating anything we didn't need anymore, and try and save as much as we could.

I consolidated down to a few core dedi/colo boxes, and a few mix & match VPS's. Still well over $300 USD/mo though...

Thanked by 1Mun
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Is it bad I can count the number of servers I have on one hand? 3. Well, one of them is a 64GB RAM OVH Dedi, which runs 8 or so virtual machines.

• I keep an updated spreadsheet of all my services, I was around $70 to $90 several months back but managed to cut that down to $57.88 a month. That's 2 dedicated servers and 5 VM's.

• MunMun Member

@hawc said:
    Is it bad I can count the number of servers I have on one hand? 3. Well, one of them is a 64GB RAM OVH Dedi, which runs 8 or so virtual machines.

Not at all!

@Legendlink said:
    I keep an updated spreadsheet of all my services, I was around $70 to $90 several months back but managed to cut that down to $57.88 a month. That's 2 dedicated servers and 5 VM's.

Yeah, when you make the spreadsheet you do kinda realize what you haven't used in 6 months +. Then you cancel those and feel better about life!

@mikeyur said:
    I consolidated down to a few core dedi/colo boxes, and a few mix & match VPS's. Still well over $300 USD/mo though...

Thankfully I wasn't the worst......

• I can shave off another $1.25 if I move my mumble server to another machine, it doesn't need its own. Let's do this!

• I just can't bring myself to cancel those <$15.01/yr goodies from the 'good' providers.

Did a little pruning in December; Now, it's 25 active vps at 10% NET utilization.

I have a little web crawling project cooking(no clue about bandwidth required).
    So I'll say goodbye to a lot more $1/m VPSes soon.

• @Mun said:
    Thankfully I wasn't the worst......

These new staff discounts are going to kill me

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Damn... and I thought I was getting risque with what... $30 at joes, $55 at sys, $20 at ramnode, and $5 with spartan... and $43 with buyvm... and... I think that's it.

I'M NOT STOPPING A DAMN THING.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • I went from around 30 individual VPSs to 3 colo'd servers.

• Adminanon

yatsp

(yet another twelve step program)

• Ole_Juul said: Adminanon

I like the name, good thinking

Ole_Juul said: yatsp

Amateur, you must not know Bill ;)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2016

I spend 17/month.

Most are LES servers (11), for a total of 20. And the most expensive one costs me 5 EUR at Inception Hosting. I am considering to do something with that LES boxes, because most of them are idling u_u

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I'm thinking to combine my 4 dedis and into 1 or 2, but couldn't find a very nice deal that can do this.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

My personal box is a little overkill, I guess. 300+usd/m. Better than smoking IMO ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware

• Didn't know I was burning $3.45 every month lmao

Thanked by 1Mun
  • My spending isn't that bad at all imo. I'll probably save $10

Online.net ($2.6/m) - keeping
    Ramnode ($50/yr) - keeping
    Dacentec ($10/yr) - I'll probably get rid of this since I don't use it, but hopefully I can find a use for it since it's a good deal
    BuyShared ($10/yr) - I could run the sites on one but I don't want to share the IP/have any link between the sites

Vultr I just spin up for testing/windows or when I can be bothered playing gmod. Plus I just got $100 credit from that Swedish company

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Dedis: 174$/y (3)

VPS: 101$/y (17)

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited January 2016

I have a few servers, fewer vps's.

VPS:

HostMyBytes Pooled offer - $48 (Actually been cancelled but it still has like 7 months left as I only used it for testing)

Ramnode 512MB SVZS - $3.78/mo (VAT and a 10% off coupon)

OVH Classic VPS(I know VPS SSD is better) - £2.02/mo with VAT - $2.87

Dedicated Servers:

Dacentec $30 2XL5420 2x2tb for backups

OVH Kimsufi 2G Atom (Old old old one) approx £38 a year. - $54

ReliableSite $708/year offer for an E3-1245v2 with 32GB RAM - I've had no problems except the packet loss since yesterday which is being investigated.

OVH SP-64-S (£69.99 without vat roughly £84 with VAT) - $120

Even though I hate having it I also have an Online 19.99/mo+vat (24 euros) server for a friends developement server. - $26

Total of $3001.8/yr

I did also have a QuickPacket server which I dropped as I didn't have a use for it.

The servers are all actually used though... well except the HostMyBytes which again was a dev solution.

Also, yes I am shocked by the amount :X

• A spreadsheet was not enough, I needed a database ;).
    But I also need to reduce my costs, there are several VPS I will replace this year, because they don't perform that well or became too expensive.

• To be honest, im kinda surprised you guys waste all that money on things you do not use. Rich or laziness? maybe both? either way im glad that @mun openend this thread, it gives some good insights.

Thanked by 1Droid
  • @Mark_R said:
    To be honest, im kinda surprised you guys waste all that money on things you do not use. Rich or laziness? maybe both? either way im glad that mun openend this thread, it gives some good insights.

Kinda shocked me how much I pay but I'm just glad that all but one of my services are in use properly ;P

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    Kinda shocked me how much I pay but I'm just glad that all but one of my services are in use properly ;P

Only one? I envy you... I have lots of them. But they are such a great deal... Can't cancel them :)

• @Traffic said:
    Only one? I envy you... I have lots of them. But they are such a great deal... Can't cancel them :)

Honestly I under utilize each dedicated server more than I should... but it gives me better performance overall than blasting them all 100% 24/7. The only one that is fully inactive is the HostMyBytes pooled plan.

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    Honestly I under utilize each dedicated server more than I should... but it gives me better performance overall than blasting them all 100% 24/7. The only one that is fully inactive is the HostMyBytes pooled plan.

True, better performance and you also avoid putting all your eggs in the same basket.

I didn't get that pool because I read that some locations are disabled/out of stock, and also I recall their VPSs didn't have the best I/O back then when I tested them (all locations).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Mark_R said: To be honest, im kinda surprised you guys waste all that money on things you do not use. Rich or laziness? maybe both? either way im glad that @mun openend this thread, it gives some good insights.

To be quite honest, I'll take a third answer.

I felt myself slipping on things that were daily tasks for me in the past, a knowledge set that, if not valuable now, may come in extremely valuable in the future. I see myself becoming specialized in a product that, for all I know, 5 years in the future I won't touch again in my life. That to me feels dangerous, and so, to keep myself up to date with the technology I used to handle, I play with it.

• @Traffic said:

is it still a great deal if you have no use for it?

• @Mark_R said:

Well, if I keep them it's because I can use them for one of the projects I have in mind. However that doesn't necessarily mean I use them all... they are great deals, but I recognize that it's just lost money if kept idle.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited January 2016

i think i have like 50.

but most are yearly

its @traffic fault...

Thanked by 2Traffic vimalware
  • MunMun Member

well..... time to cancel some dacentec servers :\

ARG HEPPPPP!!!!

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @Mun said:
    well..... time to cancel some dacentec servers :\