Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with a Cisco Switch!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with a Cisco Switch!

SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Hey,

I got a new switch in and I need help configuring it. I have no experience doing this and I want to checkout the switch's configuration once it works so I can use it for setting up switch's in the future.

I am willing to pay someone to help me get it setup with VLANS and have it functioning how it should.

I will pay $100 for this and up to $200 depending on how long it takes.

I need VLANS setup and I need the servers getting 1Gbps.

The VLANS will be simple - just need to get them setup with their IP block.

I have a RDP windows with connected to the switch console using putty. I have a CentOS 6 server connected to the switch that has iDRAC so I can test it out to make sure the blocks are working.

Once again, pricing will be $100 and I will increase it if it takes longer than I anticipate.

I am not sure how pricing generally goes for something like this which is why I included up to $200 depending on the time.

PM me if interested.

Also, please move this to a different category if it is in the wrong category.

My timezone is CST so I would prefer someone in the US to help me with this so we can communicate better.

Thank you all and I hope to find someone who can get this working for me!

Comments

• Hold on; you're a provider and you're asking for LET?

I'd suggest you look into hiring a network engineer and a system administrator -- those are critical roles for any host.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@FlamesRunner said:
    Hold on; you're a provider and you're asking for LET?

I'd suggest you look into hiring a network engineer and a system administrator -- those are critical roles for any host.

I see where you're coming from.

I don't have too much time to search around for someone and I know there are some really experienced people here on LET that could do it.

I don't need a half-time or full-time sysadmin though. I just need this one job completed.

• edited January 2016

@FlamesRunner said:
    Hold on; you're a provider and you're asking for LET?

Eh,

What @SSDBlaze is asking for is easy, any 2/3d semester college student can do it. I can do it too, as I've somehow managed to get all the way to 6th semester networking (and am now taking 2d semester a second time due to program change) but probably won't be best due to the fact that I'm in EST.

That being said,

@SSDBlaze , just get a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Command-Guide-Scott-Empson/dp/1587201585

or

http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-Portable-Command-Edition/dp/1587204304

Both should work fine, the second link has a newer edition due to exam updates, but the first link has used (and is basically cheaper) if your looking for that. Since your not taking the exams, I wouldn't let that bother you.

Covers all the basics that you as a host need to know to setup OSPF/VLANS, Router on a stick, basic security/etc. Basically, its the bible for new cicso networking students as it has all the CCNA stuff inside.

@ALinuxNinja said:
    Covers all the basics that you as a host need to know to setup OSPF/VLANS, Router on a stick, basic security/etc

Thank you for that! I will buy that tonight cause that looks very handy to have.

I did successfully create the VLANS and I assigned them IP blocks inside my /24 for that switch but for some reason my CentOS server can't get online. I figured out a lot of commands and spent 15 - 20 hours on it but haven't gotten it working fully.

I'll check out that guide tonight and work on it if nobody steps forward on here to do it :)

Thanks @ALinuxNinja

• ip default-gateway...?

@Boltersdriveer said:
    ip default-gateway...?

Yes I did that as well.

• SSDBlaze said: Yes I did that as well.

Oops, is the switch meant to handle routing for the VLANs as well (routed port)?

@Boltersdriveer said:
    Oops, is the switch meant to handle routing for the VLANs as well (routed port)?

Well, the switch is connected to a router as well but Im not wanting to do trunking so the router doesn't need messed with.

Would the routing need to go through that router?

I saw some ip routing commands online and some ip route commands that route to the gateway I believe...

• edited January 2016

@SSDBlaze said:
    I saw some ip routing commands online and some ip route commands that route to the gateway I believe...

I think you need may router on a stick depending on switch model/features.

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze
  • SSDBlaze said: Well, the switch is connected to a router as well but Im not wanting to do trunking so the router doesn't need messed with.

Would the routing need to go through that router?

Generally, yes - you would do a trunk to the router for inter-VLAN communication or for access to internet (router subinterfaces). If you want to avoid that and have the switch handle it, it depends on the model of switch you have - is it L3-capable (multilayer switch)?

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze

@Boltersdriveer said:
    Generally, yes - you would do a trunk to the router for inter-VLAN communication or for access to internet (router subinterfaces). If you want to avoid that and have the switch handle it, it depends on the model of switch you have - is it L3-capable (multilayer switch)?

Yes it is a multilayer switch

• This level of competence from a provider seems strangely familiar...

What's more distressing is that people will continue to buy service from them despite him advertising he has no networking competence.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@tehdan Can you do better?

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    tehdan Can you do better?

It's very easy to call someone out for being incompetent when you think it doesn't apply to you. IMO, I agree with you and think it's a good thing that he/she asked for help, this is a little more complex than "How doez I installs solusvm?".

@oxdragon Totally spot on there man!

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    tehdan Can you do better?

Yes my home switch is more complicated than the setup described.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • Achievement unlocked:

@tehdan Sure! So you could help out then? But that would probably be too much to expect from the "Master".

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze
  • @0xdragon said:
    It's very easy to call someone out for being incompetent when you think it doesn't apply to you. IMO, I agree with you and think it's a good thing that he/she asked for help, this is a little more complex than "How doez I installs solusvm?".

He's called himself out as incompetent. I'm just highlighting the risk of a provider not knowing basic networking.

First time one of his clients gets DDOS what's he going to do, offer $100 to the first guy to come along on LET? He'll probably end up handing over his core switch passwords to the guy pulling the DDOS in the first place...

Thanked by 1namhuy
  • Assuming this isn't a decent sized switch, then you don't want to be assigning IPs on the switch vlans for live traffic. Its going to be very easy for even the smallest PPS to saturate your switches CPU and kill your service.

A switch is a switch, it shouldn't be used as a router. In any non-SOHO configuration you want to keep your equipment doing the job they are optimised to do.

Setup VLANs on the ports, trunk them back to your router, terminate the VLANs on the router.

If you are determined to do this, PM me or email me the config and I'll help you get it setup. I don't need the money so just make a donation to a worthy local charity.

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    tehdan Sure! So you could help out then? But that would probably be too much to expect from the "Master".

Yes I could, but I won't be. I'm not interested in getting panicked calls in the middle of the night when one of his clients gets a DDOS.

He needs to either hire someone with this basic networking knowledge, learn it himself (fast!) or get out of the hosting business...

I've never referred to myself as any sort of master. If you think only buying services from providers with sustainable businesses makes me superior then you are very much entitled to your opinion.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

tehdan said: This level of competence from a provider seems strangely familiar...

What's more distressing is that people will continue to buy service from them despite him advertising he has no networking competence.

This is what destroys what LE* has built over the years ...

Everyone bashes everyone.

I would understand it if he was asking for help in regards to adding a subnet, or how to create a bridge for KVM, or any other basics. The guy went the extra mile, and actually did most of the work on his own.

It is not as easy as running the cPanel installer .. we actually study, learn, implement, test all these things and get certified in the end.

Kudos to @SSDBlaze

Some people can sort out the best hosting in the world, without the need of actually working with switches/routers, many hosts here rent their hardware and thus their DC covers all that.

Good day.

Thank you everyone for your replies

People did reach out to me to do this and I am getting it worked on now.

I understand everyones opinion here and I respect everyones opinion.

No longer looking for help with this. Request no longer active.

• @rsk - that's funny, because from a non-providers perspective it looks to me like what is ruining LET is a bunch of people who think they can make millions by knowing how to rent a cheap server, open a PayPal account and install WHCMS+SolusVM.

Maybe @SSDBlaze has a single blindspot in his knowledge, and maybe he can work around with external support. However given that posts like this are how other notable failed hosts got started, I think it's reasonable to be concerned whether a VPS bought from these guys will still enjoy internet access this time next week.

What I know for sure is there are more than a handful of people who will see this thread, and decide the extra $0.50/month for a server from a more established provider is the smart choice. @SSDBlaze has cost himself some business with this thread.

Extending the logic above, the more LET fIlls up with offers from providers who can't afford to renew after month 2 and have to ask for configuration help that is so trivial a competitor does it for free, the more people looking here for servers will think 'screw it, Linode is only $10/month - why risk these guys?'

TL; DR: it is actually wannabe providers with no real skills (business or technical) who are ruining things.

Thanked by 1namhuy

@tehdan said:
    rsk - that's funny, because from a non-providers perspective it looks to me like what is ruining LET is a bunch of people who think they can make millions by knowing how to rent a cheap server, open a PayPal account and install WHCMS+SolusVM.

Maybe SSDBlaze has a single blindspot in his knowledge, and maybe he can work around with external support. However given that posts like this are how other notable failed hosts got started, I think it's reasonable to be concerned whether a VPS bought from these guys will still enjoy internet access this time next week.

What I know for sure is there are more than a handful of people who will see this thread, and decide the extra $0.50/month for a server from a more established provider is the smart choice. SSDBlaze has cost himself some business with this thread.

Extending the logic above, the more LET fIlls up with offers from providers who can't afford to renew after month 2 and have to ask for configuration help that is so trivial a competitor does it for free, the more people looking here for servers will think 'screw it, Linode is only $10/month - why risk these guys?'

TL; DR: it is actually wannabe providers with no real skills (business or technical) who are ruining things.

Thanks for your statement!

It was very generous of Mark to help me with this switch and although he is a competitor, that doesn't stop him.

I understand your concern :)