Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Budget Dedicated Server - $30 per month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Budget Dedicated Server - $30 per month

Hello!

I've been looking around for a Dedicated Server on a low budget of round ($30 per month) for my company. I'm from the UK, so the closer the better really.

I've found these two offers from WholeSaleInternet:
`

Dual Intel Xeon 5420 Preconfigured

*2.5Ghz - 2 processors
*8 Cores / 8 Threads
*16GB DDR2
*2TB SATA 
*20TB Monthly Transfer
*5 usable IPv4 Address
*/64 IPv6 Address Block

I7-2600 Preconfigured

*2.7 GHz / 3.2 Turbo - 1 processor
*4 cores / 8 threads
*16GB DDR3
*1TB SATA 
*20TB Monthly Transfer
*5 usable IPv4 Address
*/64 IPv6 Address Block

Should I go for one of them or do you guys have any better offers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Tell us what spec you really want and we'll see what we can do.

Worth noting that WSI have been criticised in the past for sub-par network performance.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Bump your budget up $10-20 and get a SYS server deployed in 120 seconds versus maybe Tuesday-Wednesday with Wholesale Internet.

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited January 2016

@Jonchun can probably do something if LA is not an issue

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @Nekki said:
    Tell us what spec you really want and we'll see what we can do.

Worth noting that WSI have been criticised in the past for sub-par network performance.

Well, we would need at least 8GB Ram and 4 IP's. The server will be used to host a BigBlueButton Server, a small FreePBX system and then a small file hoster for us. Hence the need for lot's of IP's.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2016

@david_reid said:
    Well, we would need at least 8GB Ram and 4 IP's. The server will be used to host a BigBlueButton Server, a small FreePBX system and then a small file hoster for us. Hence the need for lot's of

Is being a dedicated server and absolute requirement? If not, you can probably find a resource pool offer at a lower price point that will let you meet your RAM and IP requirements.

• @Nekki said:
    Is being a dedicated server and absolute requirement? If not, you can probably find a resource pool offer at a lower price point that will let you meet your RAM and IP requirements.

No, not really. Dedicated would be ideal for BigBlueButton. I see. Let me Google!

• @Nekki said:

Got any links? I'd love to know who you'd recommend.

• @david_reid said:
    No, not really. Dedicated would be ideal for BigBlueButton. I see. Let me Google!

If you can post your ideal spec including CPU, data transfer, port speed and location requirements, I'm fairly sure you'll get some offers here.

• @David_P said:
    Got any links? I'd love to know who you'd recommend.

With the caveat of their sometimes wacky support, Wable. I may have another recommendation shortly but I need some time to sit down with the product.

Thanked by 1Davidx
  • As close to the UK as possible, 100mbps port minimum, fast. It must be nice and fast due to the nature of a Phone System and a Video Conferencing System! :)

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited January 2016

We've got a Dual E5420 in Atlanta for $30/mo ($20/mo if paid quarterly).

Dual E5420
    16GB Ram
    1TB HDD
    10TB @ 1Gbps
    1 IPv4 (add-on pricing below for extras)
    Dedicated ILO/KVM

$30/m, $60/q, $200/yr

Adding 4 single IPs would be +$4/mo, or if you need a subnet you can add a /29 for $8 (8 IPs, 5 usable). /64 IPv6 available on request.

Single IPs (5 total): $34/mo, $24/mo paid quarterly ($72)
    /29 Subnet (5 total): $38/mo, $28/mo paid quarterly ($84)

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/dedicated-servers/

• Anyone had any experience with KimSufi's KS-4C? (Core™ i5-2300,4c / 4t, 2.8 GHz+, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB 100 Mbps, IPv6 /128)

• @mikeyur said:
    We've got a Dual E5420 in Atlanta for $30/mo ($20/mo if paid quarterly).

Dual E5420
    16GB Ram
    1TB HDD
    10TB @ 1Gbps
    1 IPv4 (add-on pricing below for extras)
    Dedicated ILO/KVM

$30/m, $60/q, $200/yr

Adding 4 single IPs would be +$4/mo, or if you need a subnet you can add a /29 for $8 (8 IPs, 5 usable). /64 IPv6 available on request.

Single IPs (5 total): $34/mo, $24/mo paid quarterly ($72)
    /29 Subnet (5 total): $38/mo, $28/mo paid quarterly ($84)

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/dedicated-servers/

There was a review on here recently about the server being compared to a VPS and the VPS won. It's put me off slightly... Sorry :/

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited January 2016

@david_reid said:
    There was a review on here recently about the server being compared to a VPS and the VPS won. It's put me off slightly... Sorry :/

Single core wise, it won't beat an E3 v3 or $1.5k E5s, but all threads running this isn't too bad. For $30 a month, you actually get a lot out of your dollars. Compare this with those with dedicated core/thread VPS, those you get only 1 thread of a slightly faster cpu core (you are not getting an E3 or those faster E5s for this price with a VPS) with 1GB of ram, but you will need to pay about $5-7 a month, this you get 16 times the resource for only 6 times the cost, and you can pay annually to get even further discounts.

Don't trust what others say, try them for yourself.

Thanked by 2david_reid CFarence
  • david_reid said: There was a review on here recently about the server being compared to a VPS and the VPS won. It's put me off slightly... Sorry :/

As pointed out in that thread the person who wrote the posting clearly didn't have a clue what he was write/comparing.

If I remember rightly there was some nonsense about not enabling his on-board disk cache (which by default is enabled) and then complaining that disk performance was sub-par. Thats like comparing a two cars where you take the wheels off one of them and say look - its slower.

That doesn't mean that a VPS can't be faster, I have some pretty large VM's that I use for MongoDB that have an insane amount of RAM, CPU and IO performance; but the whole point of a 'dedicated server' is the first word - Dedicated. The resources are all yours in the physical sense.

If you want a dedicated server for $20/month then this is the single best deal on the market. Its a dedicated system with Dual E5420 (8 actual cores), 16GB RAM and 1TB disk. The deal is insane!

I just relooked at that thread, looks like the customer now wants to renew the system despite his statements. Looks like the VPS lost out.

• david_reid said: There was a review on here recently about the server being compared to a VPS and the VPS won. It's put me off slightly... Sorry :/

Everybody is an expert here with their benchmark scripts and bigger number seeking without understanding how it works.

Thanked by 1david_reid
  • @MarkTurner said:
    I just relooked at that thread, looks like the customer now wants to renew the system despite his statements. Looks like the VPS lost out.

I can safely ignore that thread then! :)

What's your network speed like?

• david_reid said: What's your network speed like?

Fast, robust, reliable. Do you have a specific test you want to run?

• @MarkTurner said:

Ping mainly to the UK. Since its video conference and voice call, it needs to be nice and fast! :)

• david_reid said: Anyone had any experience with KimSufi's KS-4C? (Core™ i5-2300,4c / 4t, 2.8 GHz+, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB 100 Mbps, IPv6 /128)

Not that specific machine (I had the original KS-4 for a few months from memory), but I've had various OVH servers over the years and never been disappointed in terms of performance for the price. The network isn't always the fastest but it has largely been reliable.

I personally prefer Online.net as they network generally performs better in my experience and the support is considerably more responsive - the setup fee is higher (€20), but over time I think that's a worthwhile trade.

The Dedibox XP would meet your needs in terms of spec at €15/month + VAT and then IPs are extra €2+VAT each (plus one time €3 setup fee per address), so you're looking at €21/month +VAT recurring total.

• Just taking a look at some Resource pool plans for us to, maybe, start on multiple VPS'. I've found ImpactVPS. What virtualisation do they use? Does anyone have experience with them? Thanks

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2016

david_reid said: What virtualisation do they use?

ovz, they are reliable enough

• Ah, great. Just trying to work out out FreePBX may behave on that :)

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2016

By the way, Prometeus offer KVM SSD resource pool in EU https://my.iperweb.com/cart/iwzip/

• @david_reid

see this one i had some server with Red station they are good and within you budget in UK

https://my.redstation.com/server/custom-configurator.aspx?gp=4

if they are not good for you then @Clouvider can help in the uk with good support and LET love

and then there is http://rapidswitch.com/ they are also same as redstation IMO but there are some perks with http://rapidswitch.com

Note: if you think this wont work for are need more options in Europe bump my tag like this @simonindia

Have a Great day

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @david_reid said:
    Just taking a look at some Resource pool plans for us to, maybe, start on multiple VPS'. I've found ImpactVPS. What virtualisation do they use? Does anyone have experience with them? Thanks

They use OVZ. Been using them for a few weeks. Excellent so far.