Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Web Hosting Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal Web Hosting Panel

Hello. I need a web hosting panel that is open source and uses Nginx for the websites. This will be used on my VPS. Thanks.

Comments

• webuzo

Thanked by 1nitro85
  • Well lets see webmin, directadmin maybe vhcs.

• Caster said: webuzo

+1

Not really open but certainly free. Maybe better than some open.

Thanked by 1nitro85
  • wbmin and directadmin are great choices in my opinion. they work great and are pretty reliable, although not as user friendly as some other panels out there

• Webmin

• A locked down VestaCP?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If you're looking for a LNMP installer, try Centmin Mod. There isn't a web based control panel but all the management is done via the centmin.sh script including adding domains.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2016

Vestacp can do only nginx. Download http://vestacp.com/pub/vst-install.sh and then, run this"

bash vst-install.sh --nginx yes --phpfpm yes --apache no --vsftpd yes --proftpd no / --exim yes --dovecot yes --spamassassin yes --clamav yes --named yes --iptables yes / --fail2ban yes --mysql yes --postgresql no --remi yes --quota no

But I would prefer to install ISPConfig in debian (https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-nginx-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3)

Thanked by 1Riz
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2016

ceibaNet said: wbmin and directadmin are great choices in my opinion. they work great and are pretty reliable, although not as user friendly as some other panels out there

webmin is not nginx panel, in fact, it is a server administrating panel and not a web server panel. VIrtualmin is a web server panel (than can install domains etc.) but it is not supporting nginx by default. Nginx support is somehow tricky, IMO. And it is not really "open source" (OP means "free", I suppose). It has a free limited edition and a commercial one.

Directadmin is not free at all. It is closed source and a paid panel.

Caster said: webuzo

webuzo is not open source and its free edition is limited.

CrusialLG said: maybe vhcs

VHCS is abandoned, no logner maintened, it has not any kind of nginx support and even when it was alive, it was buggy.

Do not answer to questions if you don't know the answer. Read OP's demands and try to answer according that. Else, not only you are not helpful but you mislead readers that have limited knowledge about the theme...

• The new Webmin/Virtualmin theme looks good btw.

• How about ISPConfig.....?? I had it run on nginx before....

• bizzard said: The new Webmin/Virtualmin theme looks good btw.

If you mean authentic theme, yes, it is gordgeous but it is not new (over 2 years now) and it is not the default theme (although it need just a click to activate it).

• @itsgucci said:
    the burrpanel

burr burr

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited January 2016

hashtag FreeGucci

• guccihosting

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • virtualmin + nginx for features/customizability, vestacp for simplicity.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited January 2016

@jvnadr said:
    webuzo is not open source and its free edition is limited.

Well I wouldn't consider it as "limited"

The only advantage of premium are a couple more PHP script autoinstallers, the rest it's exactly the same

I recommend Webuzo, I trust softaculous more than any other free panel dev

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I have only used ISPConfig it is acceptable, not so many features but get the job done.

• @jvnadr said:
    VIrtualmin is a web server panel (than can install domains etc.) but it is not supporting nginx by default. Nginx support is somehow tricky, IMO. And it is not really "open source" (OP means "free", I suppose). It has a free limited edition and a commercial one.

Virtualmin has solid support for nginx, and a few thousand people are using nginx with Virtualmin. If you have any problems with nginx support in Virtualmin, report it, and it'll get fixed. But, I suspect it'll Just Work.

Docs for switching to nginx: http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/web/nginx

And, the GPL version (which is both open source and Free Software in the GNU sense) of Virtualmin is not particularly "limited"...it's more featureful than most commercial panels, offers unlimited domains, and provides the same nginx support as the commercial version. There are some additional features in Virtualmin Professional (reseller support, 100 additional Install Scripts, and statistics graphs and reports for stuff like bandwidth and resource usage). Primarily, our desire is that if you're making money with Virtualmin, you'll send a little bit of it our way to support continuing development; the features in Pro are intended to reflect that desire. Pro makes it easier to run a hosting business on Virtualmin, and we like selling software so we can continue to eat and live in houses; but Virtualmin GPL is extremely capable.

Virtualmin Professional also includes unlimited support incidents in our issue tracker, which is the biggest part of the value proposition we're offering with the commercial version.

Disclaimer: I work on Virtualmin. Just wanted to clarify that nginx is well-supported, and I believe we're offering one of the most (if not the most) complete free web hosting control panels available.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @jvnadr said:
    If you mean authentic theme, yes, it is gordgeous but it is not new (over 2 years now) and it is not the default theme (although it need just a click to activate it).

You'll be happy to know that Authentic became the default theme in Virtualmin 5.0, and Ilia (the developer of the theme) has officially joined the Virtualmin team! Also, Filemin became the default file manager, and a bunch of other new features, like Let's Encrypt and PHP7, landed. All of the new features, except Cloudmin Connect and the Install Scripts, are in both GPL and Pro versions.

Here's the announcement page about that: http://www.virtualmin.com/virtualmin/whats-new-in-5.0

Thanked by 2alaningus jvnadr
  • Virtualmin is the way to go, great support for NGinx. And when you use the 'old' theme it works pretty quick. The new html5 theme is slow and very boring.

Thanked by 1SwellJoe
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2016

@SwellJoe Don't get me wrong. I love webmin/virtualmin. It is the best web panel out there, but it is not so good for noobies, because of the tons of options that it has. And, IMHO, this is one of the best parts of the panel. It is so matured and so configurable, that is far far away better do deal with it than the console or panels like vestacp.
    I had some problems some time ago setting up nginx in virtualmin, but I'll give it a try again.
    As of authentic, I really didn't know that now is the default theme, I am using it in most of my servers since 2 years now and has been default for me!
    As of "limited" in virtualmin, I ment compared to the paid version that goes the extra mile.

SwellJoe said: Let's Encrypt and PHP7, landed.

And, thank you for the update! I have not install webmin/virtualmin for a while and I think it's time to explore the new features a little...

Thanked by 1SwellJoe
  • @Termiet said:
    Virtualmin is the way to go, great support for NGinx. And when you use the 'old' theme it works pretty quick. The new html5 theme is slow and very boring.

Which browser are you using? And, are you using it over a slow link? Authentic is heavier, and can be notably slower over slow networks and with slow client machine. I travel full-time, so I'm on a slowish network (3G/4G mobile networks) most of the time, and I definitely notice it when the network is slow and everything isn't cached yet. But, usually after I click around for a while and all the libraries get cached, it's not much different.

Nonetheless, we know it's slower than is ideal for some use cases. We're working on it. Once Webmin 2.0 forks, we'll be merging in incompatible ui-lib changes that will make it easier to build single page, or fully HTML5/JavaScript applications. This will, unfortunately, be a breaking change. Backward compatibility will go away for older themes...so, we'll need folks help to make Authentic (and future themes) the right theme for them, because we won't always have the old framed theme as a fallback (note that framed theme is ten years old! it was time for a change, but we don't want to abandon it until the new options are better for everyone).

• virtualmin is great,, but the panel loading a bit slow and too confusing

• @Termiet said:
    Virtualmin is the way to go, great support for NGinx. And when you use the 'old' theme it works pretty quick. The new html5 theme is slow and very boring.

yess it slows

• I always use this theme for Webmin/Usermin

http://theme.winfuture.it/