Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF: Dedicated Server on West/Central Coast (North America)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LF: Dedicated Server on West/Central Coast (North America)

ThracianDogThracianDog Member
edited January 2016 in Requests

I'm looking for a dedicated server somewhere on the West/Central Coast (or has good routing with Shaw/Telus - Western Canada ISPs). Spec-wise, I'm looking to use it as a Plex Media Server so whatever can transcode 4-5 streams of 720p content concurrently will work for CPU and 1TB of storage. Bandwidth-wise, I can go for either 100Mb unmetered or 1Gbps/10TB. My budget is between 30-35.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Comments

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

ThracianDog said: between 30-35.

Need to raise you budget especially for something in LA. But check out @jonchun see if he can hook you up with something in LA.

Thanked by 2Jonchun ThracianDog
  • @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Need to raise you budget especially for something in LA. But check out @jonchun see if he can hook you up with something in LA.

Thanks for the recommendation on adjusting my budget! With the current exchange rate, it's put quite a squeeze on my budget. :(

I've updated my original post to expand on my needs.

• @ThracianDog said:
    Thanks for the recommendation on adjusting my budget! With the current exchange rate, it's put quite a squeeze on my budget. :(

We accept bitcoin now if that helps your exchange rate situation at all. Unfortunately we're all out of the New Year's special which would have been perfect for your budget, but I can provide something for you starting at $40/mo which is very close.

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • @Jonchun is lowest currently in LA. If your willing to wait I will have some core i5s, i3s, X3450s, L5520s and E3s in the upcoming weeks

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited January 2016

What provider company do you work for or own? Just curious as I have yet to see it in any of your posts that I have read nor have I seen it in your sig line.

• @Weblogics said:
    What provider company do you work for or own? Just curious as I have yet to see it in any of your posts that I have read nor have I seen it in your sig line.

He works for tom's server hut. He gives u deals over skype

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

If you can stretch to $39.99, QuickPacket can do a Dual Xeon L5420 with 16 GB RAM and 1TB HD in Los Angeles. Includes 20TB Bandwidth on 1 Gbps port. Use coupon code 10OFFXEON. Thanks

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • @ThracianDog
    I suggest you try Kimsufi. I'm using the i5-3570 for Plex Media Server among other things and works wonders.

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • How would you feel about a dedicated box in a DC that has upstream connectivity to TELUS and Shaw both? Or does your content need to be hosted in the US for some reason?

• ThracianDogThracianDog Member
    edited January 2016

@marcosa said:
    ThracianDog
    I suggest you try Kimsufi. I'm using the i5-3570 for Plex Media Server among other things and works wonders.

I have that right now and I'm getting horrible buffering and mediocre speed.

@qps said:
    If you can stretch to $39.99, QuickPacket can do a Dual Xeon L5420 with 16 GB RAM and 1TB HD in Los Angeles. Includes 20TB Bandwidth on 1 Gbps port. Use coupon code 10OFFXEON. Thanks

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

Hello

Please check our offer:

HP DL120G7 / Dual Core G850 / 4GB RAM / 2x1TB softRAID / 100 TB / Manassas, Virginia

29 EUR/month

Order link

You can check connection latency to your ISP from looking glass

Choose WDC-01 node to test from this location.

• @Jonchun said:
    He works for tom's server hut. He gives u deals over skype

No website for Tom's server hut?

• @Weblogics said:

>

You think a hut comes with fancy features like that?

• ThracianDog said: I'm looking for a dedicated server somewhere on the West/Central Coast (or has good routing with Shaw/Telus - Western Canada ISPs)

Shaw specifically doesn't necessary route Western CA traffic via the west :) There are situations where they dump it into Toronto. They suffer from a lot of congestion problems.

You will want ideally direct Shaw/Telus peering in Vancouver/Seattle as they seem to prefer hot-potato routing.

For that level of transcoding I expect you will want an E3, I have never used Plex but that seems to be what I hear from users who do.

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • @ru_tld said:
    Hello

Please check our offer:

HP DL120G7 / Dual Core G850 / 4GB RAM / 2x1TB softRAID / 100 TB / Manassas, Virginia

Damn, I must be stupid or something... I thought Virginia was pretty damn east coast.

• IThinkUFailed said: I thought Virginia was pretty damn east coast.

G850 with 4-5 streams being transcoded ......

• @MarkTurner said:
    G850 with 4-5 streams being transcoded ......

Oh my, I didn't even notice that because I saw the Virginia first. Feel a bit dumb myself now but hey, at least I didn't offer a dual core in east coast to somebody who needs a min of a quad in west or central...

• @ru_tld

Public warning for irrelevant offer.

Please read requirements before offering your services or it will be considered spam.

Thank you.

• @MarkTurner said:

Much appreciated for the guidance. I'll do more research.

Have a great one, everyone.

• @Weblogics said:

All my machines are custom to the client. Occasionally have some prebuilt ones but otherwise shoot me a PM

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

@IThinkUFailed said:
    Oh my, I didn't even notice that because I saw the Virginia first. Feel a bit dumb myself now but hey, at least I didn't offer a dual core in east coast to somebody who needs a min of a quad in west or central...

or has good routing with Shaw/Telus - Western Canada ISPs

LeaseWeb directly peers with "TELUS Communications Inc." AS852

http://bgp.he.net/AS16265#_peers

@G850 with 4-5 streams being transcoded ......

We've successfully transcoded one 1080p stream into 4 streams with another resolutions on such server with nearly 85-90% cpu load using wowza.

I don't think that Quad E3 processor is possible within specified budget range 30-35.

In any case, I'm sorry to disturb you with my post and wish you to find capable host. Have a nice day.