Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in Help

Hi

Getting a small linux VPS for IRC. Is there a better client than irssi for Linux that I could use?

Thanks

Comments

• (use tmux instead of screen) weechat

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@justinb said: weechat

This.

EDIT: Assuming you're just looking for terminal-based. You may also want to look at ZNC, and then use that with your regular client.

• Still use epic when I need to irc - works great. Why change?

@justinb ++ tmux

• epic/amnesiac script.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@unused said: Still use epic when I need to irc - works great. Why change?

Because most people aren't masochists and don't have urge to make cool impression with listing pre-historical IRC clients which actually on one really use anymore. People use IRC mostly to communicate not to torture themself with nonsenses. I am not saying that EPIC, ircII, etc.. wasn't tools to use in distant 1995 (and even in those times soon came out better alternatives) but we have now (ie. decade or longer) more userfriendly IRC clients to use.

-from old ircII user

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited November 2012

What the fuck is epic and ircII, I didn't exist in early 90s

• @justinb said: What the fuck is epic and ircII, I didn't exist in early 90s

Google became big in the 2000s...

• ZNC and connect to it with mIRC.

• Quassel

• +1 for Quassel, Quasseldroid is great :)

• Server > ZNC > xChat

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Ishaq said: Server > ZNC > xChat

Seconded

• mcc0nnellmcc0nnell Member
    edited November 2012

I'd highly recommend HexChat. It's the completely free "successor" to xChat - which has been pretty much abandoned since 2010.

• @Spirit said: Because most people aren't masochists and don't have urge to make cool impression with listing pre-historical IRC clients which actually on one really use anymore. People use IRC mostly to communicate not to torture themself with nonsenses. I am not saying that EPIC, ircII, etc.. wasn't tools to use in distant 1995 (and even in those times soon came out better alternatives) but we have now (ie. decade or longer) more userfriendly IRC clients to use.

Use pico as your default editor too? Granted, I haven't used IRC in a year or two- and hardly ever any more unless I jump on Freenode for something, but epic/lice work well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.