Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: Web panel controlled mail server...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: Web panel controlled mail server...

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited November 2012 in General

In the market for a web based mail solution for a few handfuls of domains. (Too many projects and not enough time to roll my own right now).

Someone recommended I look perhaps for a host that does Cpanel hosting.

Looking for typical mail setup with spam controls, POP3, SMTP, IMAP and web based email (Roundcube maybe).

Anyone on here have a ready made and ready to be deployed solution that supports say 10 domains and whatever number of accounts I need to create (no more than 2 dozen at this point)?

Tell me what you folks have that fits. Budget is lowend low per month.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If you are indeed up to using cPanel to host your email. www.fliphost.net/shared.html . ill bump up the domains and email accounts on the small plan for no extra charge. Just no spamming :P

• @Fliphost, we don't spam, ever.

Just not into using the freebie mail snoops of doom and have domains I babysit for folks that need email or should have such.

Will PM you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Honestly I think a little time spent configuring webmin, or even using kloxo might be more than sufficient for what you're talking about. Otherwise, considered just using google apps?

• Shoot me a PM with estimate hourly / daily emails, we can sort something out (cPanel based)

• Google apps is way to go. Uptime is virtually 100%. If you need to manage those 10 domains centrally, I think you should go with the paid plan.

Not worth the trouble dealing with SPF, DKIM, Abuse report, and et cetera.

• I don't want Google anything. Those fools, no matter how charming with their free and beta bait don't need to be probing my emails and profiling things.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2012

@pubcrawler said: I don't want Google anything.

In that case, in my experience Cpanel is as smooth as it can get when managing those kind of things.

Make sure the host you used doesn't have their IPs under any blacklists. I had a hell of experience trying to make my mail going through Hotmail spam filter, and a few stubborn sysadmin (like the one of my school) utilise some stupid blacklist that ban a whole IP range while refused to take the blacklist off by any means.

• Yeah blacklists are a necessity and often the reason for admin hair pulling. May I recommend the bald-hairdo after many years of coping with end user anger.

Running an experiment with a Cpanel provider. Waiting for DNS to propagate. Pretty nifty Cpanel is for this, so far.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Get a leb from random provider and install ISPConfig?
    Simple guide on how to set it up on sourceforge.

• How about iredmail.org?

• ISPConfig e IREDMAIL -> GREAT suggestion (and, for me, findings)!

• I tried rolling iRedMail out. Forget what blew up on that install other than an overnight of work :) Looks promising down the road though when I have more time.

Went the Cpanel route with FlipHost for now. Real helpful provider. Node is low latency for our location, which I demand.

Some snafus in how Cpanel demands domains to be hosted on the node though... But coping :)

We need a services section on here. Wouldn't mind outsourcing a small install project like this out to someone from time to time.

• @pubcrawler said: We need a services section on here. Wouldn't mind outsourcing a small install project like this out to someone from time to time.

This is something we do, just not advertised. Also we have cPanel on the Texas location I PMed you earlier if you need another one :)

• @concerto49, send me what you sent earlier, again. I can't find the message....

• @Kuro, thanks! That is an interesting tool :)

• @pubcrawler said: I tried rolling iRedMail out. Forget what blew up on that install other than an overnight of work :) Looks promising down the road though when I have more time.

I found a really nasty bug. If you change password of an admin user it screws the privilege mysql entry, so it basically locks you out.
    I'm not sure iredmail is stable enough for a production enviroment.

• Happy iredmail user here. I installed the stack, configured users, and then disabled apache, because i don't need webmail or user management anymore.

It's running smoothly with a ferox fail2ban :)

I have only 128 mb so i disabled antivirus and antispam services. I think that, if needed, avoiding apache allow me to reenable them.

Perplexed about greylisting. They slower delivery A LOT. Anyone has experience?

• edited November 2012

@RoboCop Slow delivery is the fundamental base for greylisting! That is, the concept behind greylisting is that your mailserver responds to incoming mail with a "Temporarily Unavailable" message. If it's a legitimate mail, the sending server will retry. Most spammers will give up after a single try, and go on to the next address. That's why servers employing greylisting will be slower.

• ISPConfig3 and PostfixAdmin are free

• Don't use greylisting. It's an approach past its prime. Many mail services now use server farms, and you'll just cycle though them all blocking client mail.

• @sleddog said: Don't use greylisting. It's an approach past its prime. Many mail services now use server farms, and you'll just cycle though them all blocking client mail.

I already disabled it, but nice tip anyway.