Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me buy the right SSL Please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me buy the right SSL Please

I usually just buy the cheapest SSL, $4.95 a year and that works fine for me with a single domain. But, I would like to buy an SSL for a .com site with a .co.uk redirect (it has a significant audience in the UK as well as the US). What would be the right kind of SSL to buy so that the .co.uk domain doesn't set off errors in Google etc?

Comments

• Check out Lets Encrypt!

Thanked by 3MTUser2012 GCat sipe
  • Let's Encrypt is fine, or StartSSL, or wosign.

• All certificates will work fine, or you could get a single (free) letsencrypt certificate with 2 domains in a single certificate. (-d website.co.uk -d website.com -d www.website.com -d www.website.co.uk).

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • StartSSL/WoSign/any other SSL is comparatively better than Let's Encrypt.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • Thanks for all the help. I see that I have some reading to do.

• startSSL is a great option, and the certificates are reliable. Some free certificates end up unlisted after a few days and you end up with a certificate that doesn't work at all

• +1 WoSign

• ChairHostingChairHosting Member
    edited January 2016

@MTUser2012 said:
    Thanks for all the help. I see that I have some reading to do.

Hello

You should try alphaSSL, however is your budget is low, wosign, comodo, and startSSL will do. LetsEncrypt only works with apache to my knowledge.

• Really depends on how much money you wanna spend and do you need extended validation. Is it for ecommerce?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2016

StartSSL is terrible, they did nothing when the Heartbleed vulnerability was out. They refused to reissue certificates without payment, which makes me judge their legibility.

@doghouch

Edit: @ChairHosting, fix your shi* website - who are you to talk about SSL when your own website has an expired certificate?

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Hostigation!

Or Let's Encrypt, of course.

Thanked by 2miTgiB doghouch
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

WoSign if Free. I feel Let's Encrypt difficult !

• I don't get what people find difficult about Lets encrypt.

Just follow instructions at http://letsencrypt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/using.html#webroot , certificates are issued almost instantly.

Oh, and it also works with any webserver which is actually serving files and not reverse proxying.

• @ioZoom said:
    Really depends on how much money you wanna spend and do you need extended validation. Is it for ecommerce?

Any connection to HTTPZoom?

• @ChairHosting said:
    You should try alphaSSL, however is your budget is low, wosign, comodo, and startSSL will do. LetsEncrypt only works with apache to my knowledge.

Your knowledge is terrible.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Let's+encrypt+nginx

Thanked by 1CFarence
  • DACDAC Member

Hi,

How about Geotrust and Comodo ssl certificates.

• ChairHostingChairHosting Member
    edited January 2016

Hello,

Well I havent really done research in Lets Encrypt :-) and I dont care much either.

• @ChairHosting said:
    Well I havent really done research in Lets Encrypt :-) and I dont care much either.

If you've done now research, you've got no knowledge on the subject and shouldn't be posting false information..

• @ATHK said:
    If you've done now research, you've got no knowledge on the subject and shouldn't be posting false information..

Hello,

Thats why I said to my knowledge ;)

• New project idea: A site which lists hosting providers with ret....(americanstyle censoring before these hosters feel offended and i get banned) people running the company, including quotes of them.

Would be a great quote collection

• Cloudflare is fine. Just enable the Full SSL and redirect all non-HTTPS to HTTPS.
    If you need Authenticated Origin Pulls from Cloudflare, get one free trial certificate for the connection.

• @ChairHosting said:
    Thats why I said to my knowledge ;)

You knowledge is as shit and as useless as your name now sit down

• Free ssl are always a bit tricky, so you might want to consider a paid one. They aren't that expensive for what they give you. A comodo or rapidssl is pretty good for the price

• @MTUser2012 said:
    I usually just buy the cheapest SSL, $4.95 a year and that works fine for me with a single domain. But, I would like to buy an SSL for a .com site with a .co.uk redirect (it has a significant audience in the UK as well as the US). What would be the right kind of SSL to buy so that the .co.uk domain doesn't set off errors in Google etc?

You can use any ssl for it for example but if you also want ssl on .co.uk (which is being redirected from .com domain) then you will have to enable ssl for this (.co.uk) domain name too.

So do one thing, enable ssl on .co.uk domain name to take only single ssl.

Are your both domain name (except extension) same?

• @ChairHosting said:

Letsencrypt running well in nginx, lighttpd and hiawatha beside apache (testing in Kloxo-MR 7.0).

• For successful redirection, your both domains need to be secured with SSL Certificate. However, you have already installed an SSL on your single domain. Now you should get SSL worth $4.95 a year for your another domain, which is pretty cheap. And redirect to one domain to the desired destination.

• Rapidssl from geotrust is the best ssl ever i've used

• kingpinkingpin Member
    edited January 2016

Get one from WoSign. Although it reads you can get 2 years cert for free, you can actually request 3 yrs one.