Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTB full guide to setup newest nginx with rtmp
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WTB full guide to setup newest nginx with rtmp

mosan7763mosan7763 Member
edited January 2016 in Requests

Hello,

i recently wanted to setup the above myself but i couldnt find recent guides that work for me. I know this is a pretty tech savvy ?forum? so i thought i'd ask here. Desired OS would be Debian 8. What i exactly need is newest nginx with rtmp module and config that has authentication to use with Open Broadcaster (OBS). I don't want any others to use the rtmp server to stream, just to watch mine. Additionally the uplaoded h264+aac stream should not be re-encoded. Lastly i need a index.html that displays my stream in some sort of web player (jwplayer, videojs, etc). i also heard about hls but i'm not yet sure what the benefits are.

i would pay 10 euro if someone could write me a working guide for that. Thanks.

Comments

• Uhm wow, €10 would make me a burger, not an essay.

• @lifehome said:
    Uhm wow, €10 would make me a burger, not an essay.

At Burger King you could get like 10 burgers #america

• he's asking for an installer basically.

lifehome said:

Uhm wow, €10 would make me a burger, not an essay.

• That's about 100 euros for this job.

• 100 Euros? Seems like what he is asking is very simple (but I have no idea since I don't use nginx)

Although if you're gonna stream the videos through a web page, why bother with OBS or RTMP?

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

upwork.com

• If you need some further help with this contact us we'd be happy to help you. We run an IPTV network for our customers and have a lot of experience!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2016

@mosan7763 I won't write a tutorial for this, there are plenty of those around the net. But, if you want to, I can setup for you a working nginx-rtmp with authentication and a simple index.html with jwplayer for free.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

If you are looking for some pre-compiled binary debian packages, I have compiled nginx 1.9.6 with rtmp module for debian 8 amd64 for my personal use. Comes without any warranty and of course no automated security updates, but it might give you a start if you are not familiar with compiling debian packages.

nginx-1.9.6-rtmp-deb8.tar:
    http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/l71PI9A0/file.html

• @dfroe said:
    If you are looking for some pre-compiled binary debian packages, I have compiled nginx 1.9.6 with rtmp module for debian 8 amd64 for my personal use. Comes without any warranty and of course no automated security updates, but it might give you a start if you are not familiar with compiling debian packages.

nginx-1.9.6-rtmp-deb8.tar:
    http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/l71PI9A0/file.html

thank you but i'm fine.

BTW, did anybody find a solution how to embed such a rtmp video stream in html5 without flash?

I have a working solution with flowplayer so far which requires flash; and I want to get rid of flash.

Unfortunately everything I found so far was that rtmp only works with flash. html5 supports rtsp; but unfortunately nginx does rtmp and no rtsp.

• @dfroe said:
    BTW, did anybody find a solution how to embed such a rtmp video stream in html5 without flash?

I have a working solution with flowplayer so far which requires flash; and I want to get rid of flash.

Unfortunately everything I found so far was that rtmp only works with flash. html5 supports rtsp; but unfortunately nginx does rtmp and no rtsp.

Why would you use rtmp by Macromedia/Flash?

@lifehome said:
    Why would you use rtmp by Macromedia/Flash?

Well, because it worked very well together with nginx as rtmp server/proxy.

Background: My live stream source is a private IP camera offering a RTSP stream. I do not want to expose that IP camera to the public internet (security conerns). I installed nginx with rtmp module on a LES instance. A VPN tunnel connects the camera to the nginx server. The rtmp part of my nginx config looks like this:

exec_pull avconv -i rtsp://192.168.186.10:554/12 -c copy -an -f flv rtmp://127.0.0.1:10015/$app

This also has one big advantage for me: nginx starts ONE avconv process to retrieve the video source when the first client connects and kills it after the last client has disconnected; without spawning an own avconv process for each client. So I only have to transfer the video stream only once through the vpn tunnel even if 10 clients are watching it. I really like this conecept.

Is it possible to build such an efficient video stream proxy also with RTSP?
    Because it worked quite well with nginx-rtmp, that's why I use RTMP so far.

• I have not tried this method but maybe if you can pipe the rtmp stream to ffmpeg to output a more friendly format which does not require flash player.

• @haphan said:
    I have not tried this method but maybe if you can pipe the rtmp stream to ffmpeg to output a more friendly format which does not require flash player.

it isnt the format that requires flash, it is rtmp afaik. i havent found a player that supports rtmp but uses html5 or similar. i personally stream with OBS and h264+aac but i need a flash player to watch the stream (over rtmp) in browsers.

Okay, I got one step further. By using live555ProxyServer I am now able to actually provide quite the same thing I did before with nginx-rtmp - but now with rtsp. I can successfully playback the live video stream by using vlc and the rtsp:// url provided by live555ProxyServer on my server.

But now, how to embed this into a webpage? After digging deepter into html5 and rtsp, it looks like even rtsp isn't supported by html5. Instead there might be basic support for Apple HLS; which makes it even more complicated. Quite frustrating. Everybody wants to move away from Flash and towards html5 - but why did they make life that hard when implementing html5.

• there is a vultr tutorial that explains how to compile nginx with rtmp and then setup HLS with nginx. Can I get like 6 dollars for some cigarettes?

Thanked by 1doughmanes