Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussion: Why Are People Posting Reviews About Suppliers/Providers/Products They Buy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Discussion: Why Are People Posting Reviews About Suppliers/Providers/Products They Buy?

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited December 2015 in General

I'd like to understand and listen to some of the providers/buyers opinions about why buyers are posting reviews?

Why are negative reviews more likely to be posted than positive?

For example, this samsung galaxy http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Verizon-Wireless/product-reviews/B00IZ1XVAC has 3000+ reviews and a 4.5 rating.

That's a whole bunch of people wasting their time writing a review for about 15-60 minutes each, which will be only useful for Amazon.

While I appreciate people posting reviews(I look for reviews too before buying), I somehow have difficulties understanding people posting reviews in the volume that amazon receives reviews.

Goodreads(also owned by Amazon) has also a book-reader group/cult which are also a prime example of review craziness.

Comments

• The point of this thread is to understand buyers more. Not just server buyers or customers with a low lifetime value.

• because you dumb, you dont know what is sharing, i think you're fool human being

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited December 2015

@aubert said:
    because you dumb, you dont know what is sharing, i think you're fool human being

WTF why the rage against him man ?? @GM2015

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • I find no point to be bothered and to derail the thread for personal insults.

simonindia said: WTF why the rage against him man ?? @GM2015

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul 5n1p
  • CasterCaster Member
    edited December 2015

did you post spoilers after you watched star wars ?

• @GM2015 said:
    I find no point to be bothered and to derail the thread for personal insults.

some times people lose their shit for no fu*king reason

any way that's nice of you Happy Christmas mate have a great day

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • people angry -> people don't want the company to earn money -> post negative review

The level of anger just needs to be of a certain level to cause that, and that level is relatively low.

people happy -> people want others to have a good experience as well -> post positive review

Level of happiness needs to be quite high though.

Also, do take note that there are FAKE positive reviews and if u want to diss your competitors, pay people to post fake negative of competitors.

But yeah, you get it.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@gm2015 I totally agree but least those reviews are better than the ones here on let that say, "XXX host is scam host because i was suspended for spamming"

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • I don't understand it either. Why are people wasting their time helping others while they can spend the time playing games and drinking beer?

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @GIANT_CRAB said:
    people angry -> people don't want the company to earn money -> post negative review

The level of anger just needs to be of a certain level to cause that, and that level is relatively low.

people happy -> people want others to have a good experience as well -> post positive review

Level of happiness needs to be quite high though.

Also, do take note that there are FAKE positive reviews and if u want to diss your competitors, pay people to post fake negative of competitors.

But yeah, you get it.

Very well explained. For the question why negtive reviews are more ? Casue if your level of happiness is not high enough, you will just use and buy it again if no better one is found. And to get good thing and service are what consumers expect for and company works for.

However, if you believe somebody take your money but give you shit. What will you do ? F*k them, let others know and avoid them. As buyers, we also need that before buying to advoid further regrets.

Merry Christmas dude.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @vedran said:
    I don't understand it either. Why are people wasting their time helping others while they can spend the time playing games and drinking beer?

Helping people is much more meaningful than playing games and drinking beer.

Thanked by 2xavier GM2015
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

He was/tried to be sarcastic.

colingpt said: Helping people is much more meaningful than playing games and drinking beer.

• Most people when they happy with something do not bother to take the time to say anything. They go on with their lives and things keep going forward. They never bother to think of anyone else but themselves and it does not even enter their minds that they might help some else by posting a positive review.

When they are not happy with something they want the world to know. They do not give a crap if you like the company, or product, they only care that they did not. They are angry and want to hurt, said or some one, as much as they perceive they have been hurt. Whether they are right or wrong never enters their mind at all. They do not care that they might help a fellow human being. Only that they can do damage.

Most people fall into those two categories then you have the ones who generally want to help others. They have the need to share their experience with the product, or service, good or bad. These people are the general minority really. They have no attachment really to any company, or service, and usually try many things in life.

This is how I see it anyways, of course I could way off. I am sure some one will tell I am anyways.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @AuroraZ said:
    Most people when they happy with something do not bother to take the time to say anything. They go on with their lives and things keep going forward. They never bother to think of anyone else but themselves and it does not even enter their minds that they might help some else by posting a positive review.

To put a less negative spin on this: people expect a positive shopping experience. If I go to buy X, I expect the company to do a fairly good job at providing X. If they do, everything is right in the world and I assume that most other people are going to have the same results. There's no need to "help" other people's positive expectations of getting X.

And that same thinking explains why people are more likely to post a negative review. A negative experience is counter to the default expectation when attempting to buy X, so it is more useful for people to hear that X is poorly delivered.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • pedagangpedagang Member
    edited December 2015

@GM2015 said:
    He was/tried to be sarcastic.

I try to be polite : "because they enjoy such as playing games and drinking beer"

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

I think you want your choice in vendor to be successful so that they can continue to bring you the experience you appreciate, so you tell others.

I think people mostly agree that good work should be rewarded, and then the other side of the coin is that if I reward their good work, I'll see more of it.

Also this:

@aubert said:
    because you dumb, you dont know what is sharing, i think you're fool human being

People write reviews because you're fool, because you dumb. I think that's true and it adds an argument that we usually wouldn't consider.

Hilarious reply bro :P

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

RockBeltHOST said: did you post spoilers after you watched star wars ?

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @raindog308 said:

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Because on Amazon some are paid reviewers. Others want to get their social status up. Some might get other incentives, karma, appreciation, want others sharing.

I hate the default review view on Amazon though.

I prefer LET reviews. Who is getting set ablaze this weekend?

Thanked by 2GM2015 Mark_R
  • I think you got igniteservers to chew on.

xavier said: Who is getting set ablaze this weekend?

Thanked by 1xavier
  • I think people review things because it's a way of showing that (A) they are financially well-off enough to have those things at all (in the case of latest iGizmo, etc) or (B) they are at least somewhat in the know about technologies involved.

• Because of the questionable character of the people who write reviews, I generally find them useless and avoid them except for a quick scan. In most cases they're not indicative of the product quality - except when there's a lot of negative ones, then that's a flag. Another flag is when I see a bunch of reviews on a site and none of them are negative, then I'm also suspicious. All products will have some downside and somebody who's pissed off about it.

My idea of a "review" is reading what people here say. I have some idea of the credibility of the people who are commenting and what they say therefore becomes actually meaningful.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • emgemg Veteran

The question is complex and not easy to answer, but my simple version is: Some people have a strong sense of community. (Yes, others are more self-centered.)

People with a sense of community may feel that if they are relying on the reviews of others, then they should also contribute their own input. This way, the community will grow and thrive to the benefit of all. LowEndTalk is a community where people help each other and those who ask for help often help others in turn when they can.

In my opinion, the preponderance of negative reviews comes from two motivations: (1) Protecting others from having the same bad experience (contributing to the community), and (2) Retribution for when the reviewer feels that they have been wronged, unfairly treated, or not respected. Of the two, I believe the latter is far more common.

All too often, I read negative reviews where it is obvious that the reviewer is the one who is unjust.

Thanked by 2GM2015 xavier