Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ configuration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ configuration

I have purchased solusVM and also purchased a dedicated server I have a 64GB node and I am trying to configure some VM's for my personal use not to sell them. I am trying to make them with 1GB RAM and maybe 1 vCPU but I want to max this node out on memory but I dont want my VM's to affect each other when running programs on them. Does anyone have any knowledge of solusVM and how to set the CPU usage and setting in order to have the VM's use the least resources and only the resources allocated to that specific VM. I need to limit abuse basically and allocation handling.

Comments

• Use KVM if you want to limit resources fully.

• @PetaByet said:
    Use KVM if you want to limit resources fully.

I don't want KVM I am just trying to use OpenVZ for less overhead.

• overhead?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I think SolusVM only lets you limit the number of CPU cores and not a percentage of each core so you'll need to edit the VPS via command line to adjust the percentage (unless you have 64 cores, then just do 1 CPU @ 100%).

• @KuJoe said:
    I think SolusVM only lets you limit the number of CPU cores and not a percentage of each core so you'll need to edit the VPS via command line to adjust the percentage (unless you have 64 cores, then just do 1 CPU @ 100%).

If I remembered correctly, there are hosts offering .5 core of a cpu and they are using solusvm, I doubt they manually edit all VPS since it was setup instantly after payment. Maybe they used some special script for this?

• @CrusialLG said:
    configure some VM's for my personal use not to sell them.
    I need to limit abuse basically and allocation handling.

Just might be me but doesn't add up. Surely if they are your VMs you can control them within the VM?

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Why don't you ask SolusVM support, they respond pretty quick.
    Curious though, if the VPS are for your own personal use, why would you worry about abuse? Are you worried about abusing your own server?

• I can't say about solusvm, but if it is for your personal usage, you can manage this on proxmox or openvz web panel. I use openvz web panel in a very small kidechire server and I give the exact percent of the cpu usage I want to limit each vps. It is working very good, I limited a vps to 10% of the cpu core power and stretch it to see if it is affecting the whole cpu, it does not. Try it.

century1stop said: overhead?

In KVM, there is a lot of wasted cpu power because it is full vurtualization. In OpenVZ it is more like shared system, so, memory and cpu if idle is close to zero.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @jvnadr said:

interesting but I do not notice much difference between the two, at most +0.2 for kvm. compared almost idle ovz/kvm nodes.

• @century1stop In the node, an idle openvz instance will consume almost zero cpu and memory. On the other hand, if the virtualization platform is KVM, the node reserves memory and uses cpu just to keep the kvm instance on.
    In the instance itself, you won't notice much difference to an idle openvz box compared to a kvm box

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • Go default, give it a fair split of cores to what's available and see what happens. Worst case you have to tinker with the solusvm panel for a little bit to get the CPU Priorities and such like, right to your liking/requirements.

• Go default, give it a fair split of cores to what's available and see what happens. Worst case you have to tinker with the solusvm panel for a little bit to get the CPU Priorities and such like, right to your liking/requirements.