Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tip: Checking & comparing how powerful is your VPS node CPU model
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tip: Checking & comparing how powerful is your VPS node CPU model

Go59954Go59954 Member
edited November 2011 in Tutorials

This is a quick how-to, and I guess it's useful for beginners.

Since usually we see in most hosting providers website, a mention of processors used in their nodes (e.g. We use minimum Core 2 Quad Q9550).

Also, once you get a VPS from any provider, you are already able to know that bit of information through ssh using

cat /proc/cpuinfo

However, I'm sure that a lot of people doesn't bother to compare node CPU when it comes to VPS, yes I believe that isn't wrong since the performance depends more (we can say most of the time) on how many containers are hosted on same node, or on how overloaded the node is, or how much overselling is taking place.

But how if you would like to compare these CPU models, or in other words to make use of that usually neglected piece of information (CPU model) by many?

Well, it's easy using: http://www.cpubenchmark.net

1- First locate your CPU on that list, here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
2- Then click on it to display its comparison chart, it displays your CPU model together with a lot of other models so that you can compare easily.

Some notes:

• Of course, bigger numerical value means more (theoretically) powerful CPU.
  • The numerical value for a CPU overall result, is taken from PassMark PerformanceTest software. By running it on each CPU. So these overall results are based on PassMark PerformanceTest various tests. But if an other benchmarking software, OR a single real world application run on two CPU's , at times results can go towards the CPU with lower numerical overall result shown there.
  • CPU's are classified under few charts for narrowing the number of CPU's your CPU is compared to, like High End
    CPU Chart , High to Mid Range CPU Chart , Low to Mid Range CPU Chart , Low End CPU Chart.

Well, that's it!

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2011

The CPU model doesn't say much about the performance you will actually get, if the node is overloaded or you are throttled in how much can you use. I wouldn't even bother looking at those charts and models, just run something like

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 | md5sum

and check if the MB/sec figure you get is in the ballpark of what you get on your desktop or your other VPSes. While not a true benchmark of all aspects of the CPU performance, this has the huge advantage that you only use a couple of standard tools and do not need to download/compile anything.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

Agree.

Also, you don't get all the CPU (and all the cores) because you are in a SHARED environment.

As an alternative to what rm says

openssl speed

Or you can pass an algo...

openssl speed md5

Or simply use a benchmark like... Geekbench n_n (I love it, sorry).

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited November 2011

@rm_ @yomero Well, thanks for your suggestions. Indeed these methods are very useful to compare how good it works =)

And as I said this can be useful at times. Like if you want to get a picture of how powerful your CPU, rather than only knowing it's name (Quad xxxx or Xeon xxxx or Core2Duo xxxx, etc) or just knowing the number of cores your real CPU comes with, or the number of MHz each core has.

Also, sometimes it's more relevant whenever your provider migrates your VPS to another node, you can check both CPUs and decide whether you need to be more/less happy with your new node :p However, I don't recommend complaining if the new CPU isn't as powerful, as long as your VPS isn't negatively effected or it's just working fine, no need for complain ;)